Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the confederate flag has a racist message?
Yes and I am a liberal 43 18.45%
Yes and I am a conservative 9 3.86%
Yes and I am an independent 53 22.75%
No and I am a liberal 13 5.58%
No and I am a conservative 50 21.46%
No and I am an independent 65 27.90%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times

Advertisements

If Southerners think flying the Confederate flag isn't racist, then THEY are the ones ignorant of history, not the northerners who accuse them of racism.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Interesting that people are so vehemently against the Confederate flag because of what it stood for. As has been said over and over again, what it stood for at the time of the Civil War and what it stands for now are completely unrelated in the minds of most Southerners. Yes, at the time of the Civil War it represented an attempted country based in large part on slavery. Now, though, it has far more to do with recognizing the history of the South than it does with racism. Contrary to liberal beliefs, the majority of the South isn't really racist - or at least not any more racist than the North is today. Did it represent racism at the time of the Civil War? Yeah, it did.

Being against the flag because of what it stood for 150 years ago, that's a lot like hypocrisy. Unless, of course, you are also willing to call for the removal of the United States flag because of what people in the United States believed at the start of this country. A mere hundred years prior to the Civil War, not only was slavery widespread in the new country, but so was the genocide of indigenous peoples. Yeah, slavery was based on racism, but it's tough to argue that the treatment of the American Indians was any less racist than the treatment of black people.

The entire argument over the Confederate flag is a slippery slope that social justice warriors have started down. What it leads to, unless you're so self delusional that you can convincingly lie to yourself, is the realization that the flag of the United States - and just about every country in the world - is based on racism when you go back far enough.

Did all of you screaming about the Confederate flag want to get together and decide what date starts the point where racism doesn't matter anymore? Should it be the day before the Civil War? A week, a month, a year? A decade? Can't be a century, because then you'd be back the the early days of the United States and - so far, at least - I don't see many calling for the removal of the Stars and Stripes. Although, it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

All in all, we have to realize that racism, the institutionalized racism that led to slavery, wasn't a North-South issue. And that it was something that happened more than a century ago. Being mad that some people want to fly a flag because they look at it differently than you do, because they don't agree with your point of view on that flag... Seems like a waste of energy that could be used for better causes.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:59 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
That's a very fair & honest answer, thanks & respect, appreciate. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to understand. I believe you when you say they're not racists. They, & you, seem to acknowledge that displaying the Confederate flag in the USA may be expressing an undesirable message.
Thank you.

I think the bottom line is that Endless wars will always have their atrocities. And atrocities will always find a flag....

There's a homespun gallantry to the Civil War and the descendants of soldiers on both sides often focus on that homespun gallantry and do take great pride in that.

Honestly speaking, I don't hear of many folks who brag about their Confederate heritage. I think many southerners still serving in the military have a lot to be proud of... They are great warriors.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm no Confederate apologist, but if you're going to throw around quotes, here's a grenade for you:

Top 5 racist quotes by Abraham Lincoln | IGN Boards
Actually, you are a Confederate apologist.

And those Lincoln quotes could’ve just as easily come out of your mouth.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:37 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, you are a Confederate apologist.

And those Lincoln quotes could’ve just as easily come out of your mouth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJZXt2tMTk

Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
If paid for by the individual and flown on private property...who cares if it's racist or not?

Old 10-16-2017, 01:29 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If paid for by the individual and flown on private property...who cares if it's racist or not?
I rather appreciate seeing the Confederate flag flying on people's property, proudly displayed across their chest, belt buckle, pickup window, ...

It's considered poor form to be in public with a pointy white hat these days, and the flag serves as a good clue about who the person is.

Just like if you see someone waving a Nazi flag around. It's a clue to who they are.

When people tell you who they are, might as well believe them.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:34 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I rather appreciate seeing the Confederate flag flying on people's property, proudly displayed across their chest, belt buckle, pickup window, ...

It's considered poor form to be in public with a pointy white hat these days, and the flag serves as a good clue about who the person is.

Just like if you see someone waving a Nazi flag around. It's a clue to who they are.

When people tell you who they are, might as well believe them.
Yeah, because everyone who has a Confederate flag is racist.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yeah, because everyone who has a Confederate flag is racist.
What else would one be trying to communicate by displaying the Confederate flag?

That you're a traitor?

A loser?

Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM

The only other thing I can think of for one displaying the flag of a group who took up arms against the USA in order to preserve slavery and then lost big time is that one is dumber than a box of rocks.

Who would do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies