Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:13 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Like to see the feedback I got from liberals on this forum the day I voted for McCain?

No, not interested in seeing people throwing shade at McCain, nor those that voted for him.

I'd love to know how to you got from "what those liberals said" to "all liberals hate McCain", though.

Quote:
Now he's totally awesome?
We don't agree politically very often, but hell yes he's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 03:14 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Have you had heel spurs or bone spurs - I've x-rayed many people with them and they are a very painful and debilitating condition if they are long and hooked. It often is accompanied by plantar fasciitis which is a
painful condition involving the thick tissue that runs between your heel bone and your toes. Not pleasant in the least - but people always seem to think it's no big deal - they're wrong.
This. I have two friends with bone spurs and plantar fasciitis. They can't even go for a 30 minute walk with me through the park on level ground because of how much it hurts. But Trump could still play sports.....

Old 10-23-2017, 03:21 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wasn't it McCain that caused the fire aboard ship because of his anger and stupidity that caused the death of how many men?
No, but keep lying, it's fine. I suppose. If you can live with that.

What actually happened was an F-4 Phantom about 100 feet away from McCain's A-4, at the opposite end of the deck accidentally fired a rocket because of an electrical surge, after that, all hell broke loose, for obvious reasons (rocket). But McCain had nothing to do with it, other than he just happened to be there.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I joined the US Navy in 1963 and volunteered to take a ship to 'Nam in 1966. I did that because I had so irritated the people I was serving with that they were probably glad to see me ship out to "Nam. Eventually becoming really bored with serving on that ship I volunteered for a couple of fill in spaces on the PBR's. Then the fun started. PBR's were little more then moving targets. After a few of these I left 'Nam to return to the World. Little did I know we were there to protect other people's investments in a place where the investors were roundly hated. With damn good reason.

A couple of years later I was in college and watched all the Draft Protesters with some amusement. I thought you guys have no idea what you are missing. If nothing else close combat with machine and shotguns is exciting. Survival is definitely not guaranteed. Even if you do survive your mind becomes a bit twisted. I am finally getting some consoling to get it a little less twisted.

So The Donald avoided the Draft. So did a lot of other people. This has always happened. Most wars have always been Rich Man's Wars and Poor Man's Fights. At least in the Middle Ages the guy at the head of the charge was the King. Rank did not have the privilege of staying behind.

FWIW - My sacred Draft Number was 7. Thankfully they did not send me back.
Thanks for your service.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:34 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
All men born between 1944 and 1950 were assigned draft lottery numbers in a single drawing in the fall of 1970 -- the lower the number, the higher the probability of being drafted. Very few, if any with numbers above 215 were called. Trump's birthday (June 14) drew position no 356.

So with no disrespect intended, Greg, your own story tends to argue against the old class-warfare argument that "rich kids go to college, and poor kids go into combat"?

The Vietnam debacle/tragedy was a Frankenstein hatched primarily by far too much faith in Big Government; a bureaucratized military seeking to defeat a native insurgency with tactics intended for use by massed troops on land, while crony capitalists, as opposed to true entrepreneurs, reaped the "benefits".

The majority pf Vietnamese doubtlessly, and rightfully resented foreign involvement in their affairs, but once the smoke cleared and the dust settled, they segued toward an open and more-productive economy like just about everybody else. And I don't hear much drum-beating for exceptions like Cuba and North Korea.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-23-2017 at 04:17 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 03:35 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Have you had heel spurs or bone spurs - I've x-rayed many people with them and they are a very painful and debilitating condition if they are long and hooked. It often is accompanied by plantar fasciitis which is a
painful condition involving the thick tissue that runs between your heel bone and your toes. Not pleasant in the least - but people always seem to think it's no big deal - they're wrong.
I'm not questioning that heel spurs or bone spurs are painful. I'm questioning that Trump ever had them.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Not sure I understand your comment. It was OK for Trump, but not for Clinton? That does not make much sense. ANYONE who is a draft-dodger is a draft-dodger. They are all in the same class..........
Who said it was OK for either? I merely said it was true. Trump got out of military service.
It's also true for Clinton, so if anyone is outraged about one they should be outraged about the other.

I was in the service from 63 to 71 and I would not have wanted to see either of them in the service. They simply would not fit in.
As it is, Trump makes a fine president. Would have been a terrible soldier.

As an aside, it is true that Clinton left the country so that he didn't have to serve. We don't really know about Trump's bone spurs.

Both Bushes made fine servicemen. Carter, too. But Clinton or Trump?!....... Nah.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
No, but keep lying, it's fine. I suppose. If you can live with that.

What actually happened was an F-4 Phantom about 100 feet away from McCain's A-4, at the opposite end of the deck accidentally fired a rocket because of an electrical surge, after that, all hell broke loose, for obvious reasons (rocket). But McCain had nothing to do with it, other than he just happened to be there.

You might as well save your breath. Trumpees hate facts, it is so much more fun to make up stuff.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:00 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I'm not questioning that heel spurs or bone spurs are painful. I'm questioning that Trump ever had them.
I have had bone spurs/plantar fasciitis. It was painful but cleared up in just a few weeks once I started using arch support orthotics in my shoes. So in my case it wasn't a big deal. And I would bet that that was the case with Trump too, assuming he actually had plantar fasciitis (which I doubt).

Old 10-23-2017, 04:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
My hat is off to Senator John McCain for forcefully calling out the Dotard as follows:

"To fear the world we have organized and led for three-quarters of a of a century, to abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership and our duty to remain "the last best hope of earth" for the sake of some half baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems is as unpatriotic as an attachment, to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history".

Clearly this was aimed at Trump and I applaud McCain to have the guts and courage to take on this wrong headed bully and speak truth to power.

Way to go Senator McCain!
McCain is far off the mark. America needs to change the way it conducts itself in this world. The peoples of this little speck of dust are rapidly becoming part of a consciousness that because of how we conduct ourselves seeing us worthy only of contempt.

I never respected the playground bully.

McCain just needs to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies