Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 02:32 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Boobus does what boobus is told. Go to war in Vietnam even though it is an unconstitutional war over nothing to do with protecting our borders. Even though you don't believe in it, government, through the draft, owns you. Now do as you are told.

Freedom involves choices revolving around defending the rights of the individual. No one should use force on any other person unless rights are being violated. That is tyranny.
It's your patriotic duty to fight against tyranny. "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Pick your side.
Jeez, just go out and water your tree, for crying out loud. March around a confederate monument with a torch and a gun while your at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 02:37 PM

11,804 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Compared to someone who paid his way out of serving? Not even close.

And being captured means one was there in the path of danger in first place, not out in NYC discriminating against renters working with his dad and daddy's company.
Have you had heel spurs or bone spurs - I've x-rayed many people with them and they are a very painful and debilitating condition if they are long and hooked. It often is accompanied by plantar fasciitis which is a
painful condition involving the thick tissue that runs between your heel bone and your toes. Not pleasant in the least - but people always seem to think it's no big deal - they're wrong.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:40 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,466,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I thought Democrats hated the Vietnam War and were pro-AWOL by any means necessary... now all of a sudden they changed their belief structure? Yeah, keep spreading the misdirection...
You over-simplify.

It was the Cold War era, and at first the Democratic party played a large part in the involvement of the USA in that war to stop the spread of communism. As a nation we had all witnessed the closing off of eastern Europe under the 'iron curtain' and it looked like southeast Asia was going to fall next.

Both parties generally supported engagement in the beginning.

It was in the Democratic party that people started to reflect on the morality of our (USA) involvement in a war that propped up a corrupt dictatorial government the majority of the people did not support. It was by no means a case that the entire party was against the war, but it was among the Democrats that the questions arose first and the opposition grew fastest.

In fact, many of the loudest critics of the war were the veterans themselves. They deserve the recognition of their service, and it makes their criticism more valid due to their personal involvement and first hand experiences.

Both parties respect the sacrifices of our veterans. They fought, suffered and risked death on our behalf.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:51 PM

18,421 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Have you had heel spurs or bone spurs - I've x-rayed many people with them and they are a very painful and debilitating condition if they are long and hooked. It often is accompanied by plantar fasciitis which is a
painful condition involving the thick tissue that runs between your heel bone and your toes. Not pleasant in the least - but people always seem to think it's no big deal - they're wrong.
If Donald wasn’t wealthy I would be more inclined to think his deferment was legitimate. Many wealthy people and people of means paid for medical deferments for their children not to serve. I know a few and the didn’t have one quarter the money trumps had

Old 10-23-2017, 03:00 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
McCain is a liar. Trump got a temporary deferment for the bone spurs that would expire when they healed. But he drew a high number in the lottery. That is what ultimately kept him from being drafted. Left wing kooks should do some research on how Slick Willie got out of the draft.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:07 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I joined the US Navy in 1963 and volunteered to take a ship to 'Nam in 1966. I did that because I had so irritated the people I was serving with that they were probably glad to see me ship out to "Nam. Eventually becoming really bored with serving on that ship I volunteered for a couple of fill in spaces on the PBR's. Then the fun started. PBR's were little more then moving targets. After a few of these I left 'Nam to return to the World. Little did I know we were there to protect other people's investments in a place where the investors were roundly hated. With damn good reason.

A couple of years later I was in college and watched all the Draft Protesters with some amusement. I thought you guys have no idea what you are missing. If nothing else close combat with machine and shotguns is exciting. Survival is definitely not guaranteed. Even if you do survive your mind becomes a bit twisted. I am finally getting some consoling to get it a little less twisted.

So The Donald avoided the Draft. So did a lot of other people. This has always happened. Most wars have always been Rich Man's Wars and Poor Man's Fights. At least in the Middle Ages the guy at the head of the charge was the King. Rank did not have the privilege of staying behind.

FWIW - My sacred Draft Number was 7. Thankfully they did not send me back.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Funny how that works, isn't it?

I remember Clinton being called a draft-dodger by every right-winger, ever.
And the left defended Clinton for not serving. A war that the left involved us in.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:09 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...I totally believe that Trump had bone spurs just like Rush had a boil on his ass.
Rush IS a boil on the ass.

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
McCain is a liar. Trump got a temporary deferment for the bone spurs that would expire when they healed. But he drew a high number in the lottery. That is what ultimately kept him from being drafted. Left wing kooks should do some research on how Slick Willie got out of the draft.
Is there proof of this? Proof the deferment was temporary? Proof of the high lottery number? Because it appears the scenario is Trump gets four education deferments, then a deferment that makes him ineligible for the draft (essentially permanent) and then gets to claim the injury was temporary so he doesn't have to show proof of such an ailment today if asked to do so. Then he gets to insult someone who actually did serve, saying he doesn't like someone that gets captured.

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Well, I guess claiming undetectable bone spurs in the right.........or was it the left heel?............is better that chronic flatulism or uncontrollable verbal diarrhea which he is currently afflicted with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies