Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 12:45 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its another way of saying he got what he deserved.

Only to people who hate trump.

My wife knew what I signed up for, she knew I could die, as all the OTHER wives out there. What gives you the right to define what that means...zero...nothing...

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-24-2017 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-24-2017, 12:47 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
The rhetoric here is getting a bit heated, which is more than a shame because it's emblematic of what this country is becoming. Correction - has become.

For myself, I do not "hate" Trump but think he does not possess an adequate "skill set" to be POTUS. I look to incidents (like this) as examples. The point (for me) is not to rejoice in them but to hope that should he start to make truly horrendous decisions that endanger MY safety that those with more common sense and ability than Trump will prevail.

In this instance, no doubt Trump tried his best with the Johnson phone call. The Congresswoman probably IS using perceived missteps to politicize it - JUST as Trump himself was trying to deflect from Niger making unsubstantiated and incorrect statements about Obama - and, in the process, showing his usual distain for truth that I personally find unacceptable.

Mrs. Johnson should be left OUT of this controversy. Sure, maybe a year from now, she might be fair game if she chooses to go on a political bandwagon but NOT a week or so after her husband's death.

Trump need not have "apologized" for what transpired during the call ... a simple statement of regret from the WH press office that it had not proved helpful would have been fine.

At a minimim, he should restrain himself from further tweeting about Mrs. Johnson.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yep.

Trump didn't want to answer any questions about Niger, so he flipped to accusing Obama and other past presidents of not doing something he alone was doing.

Things unraveled from there.
those men were in special ops, right? Which means they were on a mission, probably top secret, and they were ambushed, Trump cannot discuss it....

Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Oh please, maybe if Trump hadn't made his ignorant statements about all of the Presidents and then attacked the congresswoman for doing her job, this could have all blown over but no, our Dotard-in-chief always has to have the last word via twitter.

Not a single other wife has come forward...why is that?

Maybe if your cowgirl would have kept her horse mouth shut, we would not be here....since you like to throw names around...

Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The rhetoric here is getting a bit heated, which is more than a shame because it's emblematic of what this country is becoming. Correction - has become.

For myself, I do not "hate" Trump but think he does not possess an adequate "skill set" to be POTUS. I look to incidents (like this) as examples. The point (for me) is not to rejoice in them but to hope that should he start to make truly horrendous decisions that endanger MY safety that those with more common sense and ability than Trump will prevail.

In this instance, no doubt Trump tried his best with the Johnson phone call. The Congresswoman probably IS using perceived missteps to politicize it - JUST as Trump himself was trying to deflect from Niger making unsubstantiated and incorrect statements about Obama - and, in the process, showing his usual distain for truth that I personally find unacceptable.

Mrs. Johnson should be left OUT of this controversy. Sure, maybe a year from now, she might be fair game if she chooses to go on a political bandwagon but NOT a week or so after her husband's death.

Trump need not have "apologized" for what transpired during the call ... a simple statement of regret from the WH press office that it had not proved helpful would have been fine.

At a minimim, he should restrain himself from further tweeting about Mrs. Johnson.
Very well said, and totally agree.....

Old 10-24-2017, 12:55 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
those men were in special ops, right? Which means they were on a mission, probably top secret, and they were ambushed, Trump cannot discuss it....
The article I posted in another Niger thread detailed what is known so far.

They were indeed on a training mission as is common in that region. That's what Special Forces soldiers live for, to embed themselves with the locals and train up their fighting tactics and capabilities.

Apparently the four were ambushed by up to 150 enemy combatants. They were not prepared in terms of manpower, weaponry, and equipment like armored vehicles.

Something obviously happened that was very shady.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:02 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
I have been married a long time. We have kids who are not that far away from collecting social security.

I would not ever think I could know how they or DH would handle specific kinds of mourning or grief. It is very personal and very contingent on whatever else is going on. Trump did his best. The congresswoman could have told an aide or a friend Trump was not equipped for the task. She should have stayed out of it. The word would have gotten out.

Trump, too. He could have said he regretted the wife was upset. He should have left Kelly out of it.

Now they all look like incompetent opportunist.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:14 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post

Hech of a post.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its another way of saying he got what he deserved.
No, it's not at all like saying "he got what he deserved". Everyone who takes a dangerous job knows what they signed up for and yet does it anyway or, do you think all these soldiers go into the military completely blind?
Are YOU trying to say he was too stupid to know what he was signing up for and that he could be injured or killed?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-24-2017 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-24-2017, 02:31 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
1. There's only one appropriate response to a presidential condolence call: Thank you. It's the same thing you should say to someone who gives you a gift you don't happen to like.

2. Memo to President Trump: For the love of God, stop getting into a [h]issing match with everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies