Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, the drugs of choice in areas with alot of homeless, at least where I live, are meth and heroin.
Thats mainly because of the addictive nature of these 2 drugs, its not like pot, people that are hooked on heroin or meth, NEED it multiple times a day,and will go to great lengths to get it. this is usually why they are homeless to begin with, they end up spending all their money on dope and blow off rent and other bills, and eventually burn all their bridges, people that will help them, etc.

I was hooked on heroin for a couple years, I know what it does to your mentality, once addicted its very easy to justify spending your last $100 on dope instead of food, bills, etc. Its amazing what this drug does to your decision making.

When I was using heroin was around $120-150 a gram, (that is more than gold btw), this is mainly due to its illegal status and the risk involved, in reality, heroin should be very cheap, its easily produced and the poppies can grow in lots of places.

More often than not, I think most of the problems come with heroin mainly due to it being illegal/ so expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In Phoenix the trains run all night? Nothing runs in Portland between about 2a and 4a.
No our trains start at 5am and run until 1:30am, so none between 1:30 and 5

Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 AM

356 posts, read 281,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The mayor of Phoenix is a liberal Democrat though.

Amazing, how suburbs such as Scottsdale, Gilbert and Fountain Hills keep their fantastic parks open with out the issues that Phoenix has.

For example, in the Republican suburb of Gilbert they have beautifully manicured parks that are litter free with none of the negative elements subjecting the town's residents to stresses that would make them uncomfortable.

Sadly, Phoenix they celebrate the opening of a park but it was soon closed because it was overwhelmed with fecal matter and heroin needles.

Phoenix has a long history of celebration openings and than it goes downhill almost immediately. Every time they extend the light-rail, the adjacent neighborhood becomes a cesspool of filth almost immediately.

I am sure when they opened up the light-rail they didn't envision it becoming a filthy and smelly experience with trains reeking of illegal drugs and people high as a kite.
Scottsdale, Gilbert and Fountain Hills are 3 of the most affluent suburbs of Phoenix. More tax dollars equals more resources. These cities have more money to remove the "scourge" from their cities. Homelessness has less to do with political parties and more to do with money.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
Scottsdale, Gilbert and Fountain Hills are 3 of the most affluent suburbs of Phoenix. More tax dollars equals more resources. These cities have more money to remove the "scourge" from their cities. Homelessness has less to do with political parties and more to do with money.
No, homelessness isn't due to money, either. It's a mental state.

Think about it this way. I have some friends that I haven't spoken to for years that I know with absolute certainty that if my fiance and I should fall down and become homeless they will take us in. Let alone my families and friends that I do talk to.

At some point, these people have burned every bridge they have.

There are other situations, of course. I understand that. I currently have 2 homeless guys sleeping on my couches.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sorry, but I am doing nothing but reminding the OP that just loves to ramble on about Blue States and Cities (which all major cities are) that AZ, where he lives, is a RED state, and as such should have resolved the issue if they actually have a resolution. That seems to have triggered you, take a few deep breaths next time. As for IQ's, it seems to be important to you, I can assure you that mine has tested far higher than yours. Now run along, Skippy.
OP's posting DNA seems to suggest the OP is female and into geographical solutions to find a guy.

There are probably some good guys in Phoenix metro who volunteer their time to address the local homeless situation instead of creating anonymous posts on an Internet forum.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
No surprise here. I would never want to live in a city that had an official park for the homeless. If that sounds heartless, so be it.

I can relate. I regularly take public transportation where I live (not Phoenix) and am around the homeless on an almost daily basis. I can tolerate people stinking (for short periods), but the issues & dangers involving screaming, dangerous drug addicts and/or the mentally ill is a little too much.
How much more would you be willing to pay in state and local taxes, so that people you consider undesirable can be institutionalized so you don't have to see/ hear/ smell them?

Old 10-25-2017, 07:25 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The mayor of Phoenix is a liberal Democrat though.

Amazing, how suburbs such as Scottsdale, Gilbert and Fountain Hills keep their fantastic parks open with out the issues that Phoenix has.

For example, in the Republican suburb of Gilbert they have beautifully manicured parks that are litter free with none of the negative elements subjecting the town's residents to stresses that would make them uncomfortable.

Sadly, Phoenix they celebrate the opening of a park but it was soon closed because it was overwhelmed with fecal matter and heroin needles.

Phoenix has a long history of celebration openings and than it goes downhill almost immediately. Every time they extend the light-rail, the adjacent neighborhood becomes a cesspool of filth almost immediately.

I am sure when they opened up the light-rail they didn't envision it becoming a filthy and smelly experience with trains reeking of illegal drugs and people high as a kite.
Responses like this are nothing short of pathetic. It's like bragging that Beverly Hills has so few homeless compared to Los Angeles. Well ... DUH! Wealthy cities always have fewer social problems than ones with lots of poor people, because ... well, they're wealthy. The OP seems to think that just because some place is run by some conservatives that social problems will automatically go away and everybody will become rich. Too bad for him/her/it places like West Virginia and Kentucky pretty much prove that's not the case. But then, the OP mysteriously seems silent when it comes to places like that.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Which major city is a Red City?
Most metro areas with a population of at least 600,000 trend Democrat or Independent.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:28 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Again with this idiotic "red state and blue state" nonsense. The fact is that either one has a significant number of the other, and in this case, 45% of the vote in Arizona went to Hillary in 2016.
Thank you! As a Phoenix native, Christian, and a conservative Republican, it doesn't matter what "color" a state is, the homeless population has increased in the Phoenix area in recent years, as well as in many other cities and it's a tough problem to address because government cannot and should not provide the means to fix this problem, plus churches of all denominations have done a lot more to address this issue than government at all levels could have done. It's a problem that will continue to grow until every person learns to become responsible for their own lives.

Every homeless person's situation or circumstance that led to their homelessness is different, you cannot assume that every such person is in the predicament because of drugs, yes some of them are out there with signs and begging for money just to get their daily fix, but a lot of the ones I have talked to are veterans, and some have had criminal offenses, and in today's job market, it's tough to get hired anywhere since every employer does background checks on new hires. There are, however, organizations and companies in the Phoenix area, and other cities as well, that will hire such people to help them get a new start in life.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:32 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
OP's posting DNA seems to suggest the OP is female and into geographical solutions to find a guy.

There are probably some good guys in Phoenix metro who volunteer their time to address the local homeless situation instead of creating anonymous posts on an Internet forum.
And you are correct on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies