Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:07 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Its not getting worked up, I personally don't care but i know about the separation of church and state and if you ask my opinion and i had to choose yay or nay it would be nay. Most liberals i know feel the same way.
Well, sounds petty if you ask me. I can understand if this is a brand new monument, but a 92 year old monument all of sudden created a problem? LOL yeah.

It is not even about the liberals, I didn't say anything about the liberals. lol SOME liberal cd posters think the monument should stay too. (they said so in another thread.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 11:08 AM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Or better yet, no religion at all.

We have never fought a religious war so far. There was never a need for the cross at all.

I think it should be donated to a local church with a historical plaque attached, and a new monument made to honor the valiant fallen of the distant past that's much better fitting than the cross ever was.

A big V (for valor, or for victory) wouldn't be any harder to build than a cross.
Should it be made retroactive to include all religious symbols, or do you mean going forward?

That could be important because if this ruling is allowed to stand, it will be simple for American Humanist to force removal of hundreds of thousands of religious symbols. Even ones that stand on personal burial places if they are maintained by the government.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Why not let the town decide what they want in regards to all old monuments. As for any new ones, keep all religious displays off of taxpayer owned land.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Or better yet, no religion at all.

We have never fought a religious war so far. There was never a need for the cross at all.

I think it should be donated to a local church with a historical plaque attached, and a new monument made to honor the valiant fallen of the distant past that's much better fitting than the cross ever was.

A big V (for valor, or for victory) wouldn't be any harder to build than a cross.
I think going forward, individual soldier should still have the right to choose their own burial. It is about them, not anybody's opinion about religion.

If a religious group want to honor these war deads in their own ways, then yes, find a private property and fund it themselves.

However, in this particular case, let's call a spade a spade. This is a 92 year old monument, it should stay where it is now. Now sure why it is such a big deal.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Lightbulb christian monuments = christian responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It is always The Left who wants these types of symbols removed.
Because we're concerned with the rule of law.

In America, that means no public funding for private religious iconography.

Quote:
The Left brings law suits and forces everyone in their way to stand aside and let The Left decide what symbols and traditions should be honored.

The American Humanist Association is the culprit in this case. A visit to their website clearly states that they are anti-God, not just anti-Christian.
Why should this be accepted as an American standard? It never was before.

Anti God?! Our country should not travel this road. Let some other country try that.
https://americanhumanist.org/about/
Feel free to contribute to anti-atheist organizations in response to this serious affront to christianity.

It's your privilege to do so.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,991,071 times
The government isn't supposed to show preference of one religion over another. They made the right decision. Religious symbols in a government cemetery shouldn't be a problem as long as those of any or no religion are welcome to be buried there.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:21 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
For those interested, here is the actual ruling by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals:

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions...d/152597.P.pdf

Let us read it together, then we can speak with actual knowledge of what the Court held.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
The government isn't supposed to show preference of one religion over another. They made the right decision. Religious symbols in a government cemetery shouldn't be a problem as long as those of any or no religion are welcome to be buried there.
You missed the point. The point here is that this monument has a 92 years old history. Back then, most soldiers were probably Christians or they chose a Christian burial. It is not uncommon to see a cross at ANY funeral site or a memorial monument.

I can understand your argument if this monument is new. But this one is 92 years old. This monument is to honor the ww1 war dead. Why should ANYBODY all of sudden have a problem?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:23 AM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Because we're concerned with the rule of law.

In America, that means no public funding for private religious iconography.

Feel free to contribute to anti-atheist organizations in response to this serious affront to christianity.

It's your privilege to do so.

Clever stuff, but do you address the problem?
The problem is, if we remove this symbol, do we scour America in search of all symbols or do we change our behavior going forward?

And is this really about "the rule of law"? Do you feel the same way about, say, marijuana laws? Speed limit? Are you so devoted to the rule of law?

Old 10-26-2017, 11:24 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Granted. I accept that. Good idea, going forward.

But the American Humanist Association would object to that, too. They want no religious symbols at all. Anywhere.

What do you think about that idea?
On public property with public funds, I think either the religions of all who made sacrifices should be represented or there should be no religious representation, I oppose any religion being singularly promoted with public funds. Our money may say "In God We Trust" but mentions no specific god, of which there are more than 5,000 in recorded history.

As old as the monument in question is perhaps adding other religious affiliations would be a better solution than removing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies