Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
omg....I have been doing taxes for nearly 40 years

1040 is the long form tax return
1040a is the short form
1040ez is the one pager form tax return

if you ask that question...I have to ask how old are you....I knew this when I did my first taxes at 17 ( I am now 55)

I never pay to have my taxes done...it really is not hard to do yourself...just quite a bit of reading
When I had a W2 job I did my own taxes but now I pay an accountant to keep the records, and a CPA to do my taxes and advise throughout the year for tax efficiency. I have to do two tax returns... corporate and personal. Although I know a lot about taxes, it's constant learning though but it's interesting because it helps me keep more of my money legally. If I didn't pay for help, then keeping records and completing forms would eat up a lot of my time instead of using that time to focus on running the business.

I've been learning ever since my dad always preached early on, it's your money, learn about taxes to try to keep as much as legally possible or the govt will make you poor.

Last edited by petch751; 11-02-2017 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 10:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When I had a W2 job I did my own taxes but now I pay to get my taxes done because I have to do two tax returns... corporate and personal. Of course I have to pay a bookkeeper and a CPA to keep me in compliance with the tax code. Although I know a lot about taxes, I'd rather be working where I make the money instead. I pay the CPA to advise me in tax efficiency through out the year. If I didn't do that, then keeping records and completing forms would eat up alot of my time instead of using that time to focus on running the business. Taxes is a real thorn.
yes, but you own a corp... I don't, I am talking about the average joe, who works for you.. for them the 1040/1040a/1040ez are pretty easy, the only thing is reading to make sure you stay in compliance....for you, it is way harder, we agree

Old 11-02-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
yes, but you own a corp... I don't, I am talking about the average joe, who works for you.. for them the 1040/1040a/1040ez are pretty easy, the only thing is reading to make sure you stay in compliance....for you, it is way harder, we agree
Yes I agree, those forms can be easy to complete, especially the 1040EZ. But my point is people are allowing the media to educate them and that's a BIG mistake. People like me and and it appears you have taken an interest and learned more than most and not through the media and we know when they are lying to us. Even if they make a claim and we don't know, we have a good foundation and can understand when we do have to research.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lolol Trump's kids stand to gain $550 million from the elimination of the estate tax, sounds pretty damn swampy to me
There should be no estate tax to begin with.

Why tax, again, money that was already earned AND taxed?

Why make heirs have to scramble and sell what they were "left" just to pay this ridiculous tax?

Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Politicians will always fight making the tax code simpler because a complicated tax code keeps people in the dark in turn making it easier for them to spin and lie. A lot of people who don't have a basic understanding of the tax code and politicians and the media know it and they use that to their advantage in pushing their agenda which most times is funneling more of the people's money to government.

As I said, did you notice how all of a sudden we have tax experts.... they think because the media or a politician told them so they must be right. They are being educated by the media and politicians who have an agenda of course.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

Why make heirs have to scramble and sell what they were "left" just to pay this ridiculous tax?
Because when you're dead you can't b*tch about being double taxed and they, the politicians see an opportunity to grab more money. But don't let them fool you. Wealthy people know how to get around it. It's people like farmers, small business owners etc who can get nailed.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I think they were comparing if they were married today to being single under the GOP tax plan. Yes with that logic they will pay more.
Exactly, my fiance doesn't earn much, so if we got married, it would drop us to the 12% bracket in The Cheeto's tax plan

Old 11-02-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
The alternative to prop 13 would have been runaway increases in property taxes which would have forced many people to sell because they could not afford the property taxes. Especially retired people.

I say do away with all the special treatments for homeowners. It will lower home prices and bring more people into the housing market. I am a homeowner but I think all these breaks cause more harm than good.
That's what should happen, multi bedroom houses are for families, not empty nesters. Seniors need to downsize to condos, or move to a retirement home

Old 11-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

Because we don't want a new hereditary nobility in this country, like they have in Britain

Old 11-02-2017, 11:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because we don't want a new hereditary nobility in this country, like they have in Britain
We don’t? That’s interesting that you believe that. Even more interesting that you think other people would believe that BS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies