Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 06:50 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,571,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Well this is CA so it's up to the liberals in CA to address this issue.
Or turn a blind eye as they have been doing.
CA has some of the highest rents in the nation.
Supply and demand - - people have to want to live in your state to have high rents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 PM

20,155 posts, read 9,055,673 times
it's a real shame these liberal states won't help their downtrodden citizens

Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Supply and demand - - people have to want to live in your state to have high rents.
This is such a myth.

Believe it or not people actually want to live in the 4th largest city in the US - Houston.

Houston does not have insane housing costs.

People also want to live in Dallas and Austin...again those cities don't have insane housing costs.

There goes the myth!

Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,949,696 times
I have to chime in here. I work with homeless guys quite a bit as I'm a volunteer in prison and aftercare ministry. I can tell you that its well known in my circles that guys that are homeless often commit crimes and purposely get themselves caught in order to be thrown in jail. Granted I live in a colder climate than CA, it is cold here during the winter so that is a factor. But still, many of the guys getting out of jail find themselves right back on the streets once they get out; I then get a front row seat of what they go through out there. As to most of them not wanting help- I call total hogwash on that! Most of them don't want the help that is available. Like homeless shelters that kick you out into the cold at 6am and don't let you back in until 7 or 8 o'clock at night. And a lot of them only let you stay for 30 days, then they boot you out. If you even get in in the first place as these places are all filled to saturation. There are hoops to jump through for every program, some of them next to impossible to accomplish.
The drug thing is a symptom. Please imagine what you would do if you felt that no matter what, you were screwed. People feel that life is hopeless. They'll never get a few thousand together to get off the streets, but 10 bucks to get high is doable for almost anyone. Keep in mind many of these guys owe crazy fees to the courts, child support, taxes, fines, they have debt to family, etc etc....it's overwhelming.

Homeless people are NOT all bad. Many of them are people just like you and I that fell on hard times.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
it's a real shame these liberal states won't help their downtrodden citizens
What's really a shame is the this country does not help young people make something of their lives.

Getting a college education for example is costly...many disadvantaged kids can't afford to attend college.

With the money this country spends on wars every child could have a free college education.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I have to chime in here. I work with homeless guys quite a bit as I'm a volunteer in prison and aftercare ministry. I can tell you that its well known in my circles that guys that are homeless often commit crimes and purposely get themselves caught in order to be thrown in jail. Granted I live in a colder climate than CA, it is cold here during the winter so that is a factor. But still, many of the guys getting out of jail find themselves right back on the streets once they get out; I then get a front row seat of what they go through out there. As to most of them not wanting help- I call total hogwash on that! Most of them don't want the help that is available. Like homeless shelters that kick you out into the cold at 6am and don't let you back in until 7 or 8 o'clock at night. And a lot of them only let you stay for 30 days, then they boot you out. If you even get in in the first place as these places are all filled to saturation. There are hoops to jump through for every program, some of them next to impossible to accomplish.
The drug thing is a symptom. Please imagine what you would do if you felt that no matter what, you were screwed. People feel that life is hopeless. They'll never get a few thousand together to get off the streets, but 10 bucks to get high is doable for almost anyone. Keep in mind many of these guys owe crazy fees to the courts, child support, taxes, fines, they have debt to family, etc etc....it's overwhelming.

Homeless people are NOT all bad. Many of them are people just like you and I that fell on hard times.
Well the officer who is working with helping the homeless camps in my area will give you a different story.

I have also talked to a homeless person who told me her other homeless friends just got kicked out of their free resource housing for allowing 10 other homeless folks to shower and sleep there.

The officer told me that's typical...the resources expect them to abide by the rules and most of them can't and end up back on the street.

No one said that ALL homeless people are bad.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This is such a myth.

Believe it or not people actually want to live in the 4th largest city in the US - Houston.

Houston does not have insane housing costs.

People also want to live in Dallas and Austin...again those cities don't have insane housing costs.

There goes the myth!
Development is much more restricted along the West Coast compared to Texas, no?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
There are homeless all over the United States:

"The number of people experiencing homelessness declined in 34 states between 2007 and 2016. The largest decreases were in California (20,844 fewer people), Texas (16,666 fewer people), Florida (14,510 people), and New Jersey (8,419 people).

The number of people experiencing homelessness increased in 16 states, plus the District of Columbia, between 2007 and 2016. The largest absolute increases were in New York (23,751 people), Massachusetts (4,481 people), the District of Columbia (3,030 people), Hawaii (1,851 people), and Idaho (498 people)."

https://www.hudexchange.info/resourc...HAR-Part-1.pdf

Old 11-07-2017, 08:07 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,949,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Well the officer who is working with helping the homeless camps in my area will give you a different story.

I have also talked to a homeless person who told me her other homeless friends just got kicked out of their free resource housing for allowing 10 other homeless folks to shower and sleep there.

The officer told me that's typical...the resources expect them to abide by the rules and most of them can't and end up back on the street.

No one said that ALL homeless people are bad.
Well I can only speak to what I've seen. These people don't have 'resources' in the way that's been stated on this thread. There are programs to help them with addiction, sure, but what they really need is a job that pays them enough to survive. I'm talking housing, transportation, and food. This is the crux of the issue! What do you think happens to someone after awhile when they can't make enough to survive? That's when they become rebellious oftentimes. They basically say f it; they know that any 'help' or 'resources' that don't lead to a job that pays enough, with a way to get there and shelter to rest afterwards- it's just a dog and pony show..it's just noise.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 PM

8,252 posts, read 3,507,045 times
I've been homeless many times. I have never used illicit drugs. First times I was homeless was because I was trying to escape DV. Then I was homeless years later when my home caught fire. Then I was homeless again after I lost my daughter and the government gave my abuser my address and I had to leave. Then I was homeless many more times after that due to low income because I only had SSI, which paid even less back then than it does now. I was homeless this last time from March to middle of June.

I was homeless from January to March last year too, and the government wrote it up as though I were out vacationing, having a great time visiting relatives and using that to try and say I was a fraud after I said I kept going south to keep from freezing to death. Stupid stuff like that and they saw me talking on a cell phone in public and eating at a fast food restaurant. I tried so hard to move to another state and start a new life, away from my toxic abusive family, but failed due to my health problems. A lot of homeless people have health problems that mess with their lives like that.

I have not ever been to west coast. It was bad enough being homeless around here. But I'd handle being cold before being hot. I get sick from heat pretty easily and my health gets bad in summer. And the COL I couldn't do. I have hard enough trouble paying expenses around here. But it costs money to move to a new location too. They're homeless already. May not know other places. They have enough stress on them already from their situation. It takes a lot to be able to pack up and move to a new life in a strange place. Not everyone can handle that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies