Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 05:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Don't twist my words. Those who are saying it's stupid to pray and believe in God are saying the same things this murderer said.
Likewise, those who have murdered doctors who perform abortions have said many of the same things you have said.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
OP, you're wasting your time on these folks. Half the supposed atheists out there give the other half a bad name.

True atheists just don't believe in the doctrine, theology, etc., but still have the good sense to see the Bible as, at very least, a good historical reference.

The other atheists are coffee-shop atheists who duck responsibility, mock folks they disagree with the second they are down and/or stumble, and had a puppy dog who died when they were a child, so they blame God and turn from Him-Her-It-Spaghetti Monster...aka I.
As many "Christians" do for those of their faith.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No, but plenty can get on the internet after something like this happens and say it's stupid to believe in God.
And plenty get on the internet after something like this happens and proclaim non-believers and those Christians who don't agree with them are facing the pits of Hell.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So when a family prays that their sick child recovers and the child recovers, that means prayer works? Does it say in the Bible that everyones prayers are always answered in the way the one praying wants?

Prayer is the one of the vehicles that helps get you from point a to point b.
Well why does one family have to suffer such a loss and the other doesn't if God is so good and prayer is so wonderful?

Old 11-08-2017, 06:09 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Heh, don't worry - atheists are quite used to the guilt by association shtick. As well as the "you are fools and evil" - "don't blame me, I'm just saying what god said" - "why are you mocking, see so hateful" chain of coversation. Kind of hard to get mad when you see the same unoriginal logic for the 3000th time.

See in the book it says unbelievers are foolish and evil, so saying that is fine. But if you ask any difficult questions about the book, or point out any inconsistencies it contains, or uncomfortable facts about reality that dont seem to match up with the book- that's mocking!

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 11-08-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Old 11-08-2017, 06:47 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well why does one family have to suffer such a loss and the other doesn't if God is so good and prayer is so wonderful?
I'll repeat this in hopes you wont childishly deflect. What ever you do, don't directly respond to my post, instead make it about something else.

So when a family prays that their sick child recovers and the child recovers, that means prayer works? Does it say in the Bible that everyones prayers are always answered in the way the one praying wants?

Old 11-08-2017, 06:53 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,289 times
Quote:
I'll repeat this in hopes you wont childishly deflect. What ever you do, don't directly respond to my post, instead make it about something else.

It works for the people doing the prayer, giving them some way to feel less powerless in a situation that they have no control over. Does it actually heal the child? No. If that was the case it would show up statistically, which it doesn't and it also ignores the cases where people pray earnestly and the child never gets better. Works fine to give people a sense that they are doing something, not effective at altering the actual outcome.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
You might be mistaken. You don't get to tell me who or what I can respond to. Clear?

Quote:

No, it doesn't say that but that doesn't negate the question nor does it negate the point I, and others, have been making about God's supposedly all-powerful existence. He either can't or won't answer the prayers of a family of a sick child.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A lot of people in the US are not religious anymore. Some of the most irreligious states like New England states have the lowest violent crime rates. They also have loose gun laws.
I think its more complex than that. When I have lived in smaller towns guns are more common. People target practice go hunting, etc. They could be right, left, religious, not religious it does not matter. Big city people are not into it. I grew up in a big city and not that many people around me had guns. Since big cities are more to the left and rural areas more to the right one might try to make a correlation that is not true.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
It works for the people doing the prayer, giving them some way to feel less powerless in a situation that they have no control over. Does it actually heal the child? No. If that was the case it would show up statistically, which it doesn't and it also ignores the cases where people pray earnestly and the child never gets better. Works fine to give people a sense that they are doing something, not effective at altering the actual outcome.
So someone can pray or go see a psychologist and work out their issues. More or less the same thing. Difference being the psychologist is real and in the same room. Praying to a deity this is invisible well there are differing opinions whether or not they are speaking to themselves or to something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies