Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Now there you go again, demonstrating your ignorance. Research "cyclic rate" to help alleviate your ignorance.

With the StG44 that you mention, is it capable of actually firing 550-600 rounds over the course of a minute? Can a MAC 10 with a rate of approx. 1100-1200 rounds per minute actually fire 1100-1200 rounds in a minute? A simple yes or no answer will suffice. And understanding "cyclic rate" will help you to answer the question accurately.

Educate yourself to prevent further embarrassment!
Well I guess we both sure have our ways, don't we?

The capacity and/or ability of a weapon to perform in the manner you are further defining differs between one type of a weapon vs another. Does it not? Help me along here before taking this ridiculously further...

Do we not all know how to go about getting a weapon that can fire off more rounds rather than less, at a high rate of fire, over a very short period of time, so as to approach the number of rounds expended by Paddock, as compared to the number of rounds the Rifleman could over the same short period of time? I used to watch that show religiously as a boy...

Are you trying to tell me the StG44 is no more or less capable in this regard than your S&W13?

If so, please explain. If not, please stop wasting both our time...

Old 11-16-2017, 09:34 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Oh man did you miss the point of that post. Maybe read it again and retry?
Once again, you seek to argue semantics and infer a person's abilities, skills, are not relevant.

Just because a 911 widow maker can do 80 around a corner doesn't mean the average Joe can negotiate that same corner at the same speed.

Same with the trigger of a firearm. The trigger doesn't engage itself... someone else engages it.
If miculek can train repeatedly until his hands swell and finger blisters to not only empty a revolver and reload it but do so in mind numbing speeds, that is his capability and his alone. The weapon in of itself is incapable of such a task. It is an inanimate object. It has no self control.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Double action revolvers make up the vast majority of revolvers in common use today.

As far as I'm aware, there are only two kinds anyways...

A single action is what most people would think of as a "cowboy gun" . A Colt 45 or similar that requires the hammer to be cocked before the trigger can be pulled every time a round is fired.

A double action can be fired either way, by cocking the hammer, which results in a shorter, lighter trigger pull or by simply pulling the trigger repeatedly until all rounds are spent.

But LeanMe probably already knows this and just likes comparing fully automatic apples to semi automatic oranges to keep the purposefully spewed willful ignorance and conflation of terminology flowing.
What I like to do is focus on the issue at hand, the capability of some weapons to do what others can't, which of course is also the focus of those wanting to stop folks like Paddock from doing what he could do with the weapons he used (that he could not have done with a typical revolver).

Those who can't seem to achieve that focus are the ones who are conflating with all manner of gun detail that is immaterial in this regard. Simple as that.

Unlike some guns with exceptional capacity to fire at high rates for longer periods of time, you don't have the capability to focus as necessary, but you are rather good at confusing this simple issue. I'll give you that. Invoke as many fruits and vegetables as you like...

Old 11-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What I like to do is focus on the issue at hand, the capability of some weapons to do what others can't, which of course is also the focus of those wanting to stop folks like Paddock from doing what he could do with the weapons he used (that he could not have done with a typical revolver).

Those who can't seem to achieve that focus are the ones who are conflating with all manner of gun detail that is immaterial in this regard. Simple as that.

Unlike some guns with exceptional capacity to fire at high rates for longer periods of time, you don't have the capability to focus as necessary, but you are rather good at confusing this simple issue. I'll give you that. Invoke as many fruits and vegetables as you like...
Your motive and focus should be to deter scumbags like paddock. Not punish the mass for the actions of few.

A good start would be a national stand your ground no duty to retreat, act with impunity for the thwarting of evil to protect life. Some states have stand your ground others do not.

Ending gun free zones as well.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
IDK about that, the US population is pretty darn obedient and subservient to an extremely tyrannical govt. Some may whine and cry and maybe get online to vent, but ultimately they WILL sit down and OBEY everything they are told.

I used to think the same thing about a total ban on guns (that people would not stand for it and revolt), but I highly doubt that anymore, anyone who does try to revolt or challenge will be labelled a domestic terrorist, and they will be instantly demonized by the public.

All these 'lonewolf' attacks just a slow and methodical way to sway public opinion against gun ownership by the public...its working too, with each new 'attack' more and more jump to the side of agreeing with tough new laws and regulation, eventually it will reach the level of a total ban, but that will take alot more attacks to achieve that.

This is all part of a larger plan though, to usher in tyranny disguised as security, more people than ever looking to Govt to solve problems, same thing happened with opiate drugs, they were portrayed as evil and bad, now most people actually think its good that DEA and came in between a doctor and patient, they know whats best for us mentality, even if it goes against what our constitution says.

I'm not even saying there would be a active revolt. But, there WOULD be civil disobedience on a scale never before seen. If a ban were instituted neither I or anyone I know is going to grab their rifle and head out the door either to turn them in or try and start shooting. CA tried a similar thing, and only a handful of people complied. The rest are out there.

A total ban would not even need a shooting war to get the point across. Most firearms owners know the government can't go door to door to enforce such a thing. All we have to do is flip the bird at the announcement. Which is exactly what we would do.

Americans are not near so complacent as you say. Perhaps in large urban areas, but there's a lot of folks outside of them. And even in the cities there would hardly be a flood of weapons turned in. The criminals sure won't come a runnin'.

And just who is going to be tasked with ensuring compliance? My neighbor , the State Trooper? Thinking that a firearms ban would work is delusional. And nary a shot would need fired. Arms in private hands would be quite safe from confiscation. No LE agency whether state or federal is capable of enforcing a ban. And neither is the military.

Oh don't mistake, lol, there may be some cheering from the Feinstein camp if a ban was passed. Rest of the country, including the offices of LE agencies? chirp, chirp. Jimminy Cricket .

Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Not specifically about this or that incident, there is always a reason the gunman was able to commit the murders. Once is the Air Force, another time a psychiatric facility. Who was to blame in the case of the Las Vegas shooter? What I say is let’s put aside for a moment what was. Where is America heading in the future with current gun laws? Where does it bring us? I am sure that yesterday’s murders “inspired” other human ticking bombs armed to the teeth (with or without assault weapons). Nobody yet sees a connection to guns and weapons?
I'm with you!

Certainly beats trying to further explain an algebra equation (Rate of fire + capacity + #rounds without reloading) = capacity, to people who can't seem to add 2 + 2...

I think we are already at a time when "human ticking bombs" are inspired to do what before they were not so inspired to do, and we are simply waiting for the next one to get into a beef of some sort, with their wife, dog or postman before they decide to kill as many people as they can before ending their own...

What to do about that, to effectively prevent or reduce the number of such incidents by crazies with guns? Or crazies in general?

I surely wish we knew...

Last edited by LearnMe; 11-16-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I'm with you!

Certainly beats trying to further explain an algebra equation (Rate of fire + capacity + #rounds without reloading) = capacity to people who can't seem to add 2 + 2...

I think we are already at a time when "human ticking bombs" are inspired to do what before they were not so inspired to do, and we are simply waiting for the next one to get into a beef of some sort, with their wife, dog or postman before they decide to kill as many people as they can before ending their own...

What to do about that, to effectively prevent or reduce the number of such incidents by crazies with guns? Or crazies in general?

I surely wish we knew...
Remove the incentive to commit atrocities without infringing on rights...
A bank truck has quite the incentive to be ambushed/attacked.
I wonder if armed guards aboard removes that incentive.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. Laws that are on the books should be enforced. Scary to an anti gunner I know...
Nope? I agree laws on the books should be enforced (covered before). Not scary to me, and I'm not an "anti gunner."

Anything else you can twist all to Hell or get more wrong?

Old 11-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Nope? I agree laws on the books should be enforced (covered before). Not scary to me, and I'm not an "anti gunner."

Anything else you can twist all to Hell or get more wrong?
I'll leave the twisting and getting wrong for you.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Actually as the article states...

Not a failure of law, but negligence by a Federal Government Agency. However let's change the laws because then the same negligent government agencies will be less negligent </sarc>
A point for being factual and/or more specific as to the focus at hand. My compliments I wish I could give more often in this thread. As for making government agencies less negligent, I suspect that's what some of the lawsuits sure to emerge might help to foster...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies