Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 01:41 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times

Advertisements

I don't own anywhere near that many, but if I could afford and wanted that many, it would be none of your business. If a killer wants to kill a bunch of people, they could do it with one or no guns.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:42 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But do you honestly need 40 different guns?

Can you answer why someone needs 40 without the spin about it being private property?

I don't have a problem with private property unless the property has the intent to injure if not maim. Guns are just that. A car isn't intended to do that.
Inanimate objects like guns don't care what they were designed, nor intended to do. Only the human can determine that, and many objects are used as weapons that were designed for something else entirely. So design, or intent DO NOT MATTER at all.

Also, there are many individuals that are GUN COLLECTORS. Just like coins, stamps, cars, art, etc. Even f a person is not a dedicated collector, one can very conceivably have 40 to cover aspects of hunting, target shooting, self defense, competition, survival, etc. Different calibers, shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers, add up. I don't understand what the problem is with having multiple firearms, as you can only shoot one at a time.

Where does the Progressive tendency to want to control others come from? Elitism, projection, fear?

Old 11-11-2017, 01:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Is this an arbitrary number? I can have 39, but not 40?
When you live in a civilized country there are MANY things that you do which succumb to both common sense and logic.

For example - I am a HAM. I might be able to put a single tower up on my property - but if I put 20 towers up there will certainly be some grief.

Most people live in a limited space - if they buy 30 cars and park them on their lawn that would be illogical.

In other words, normal people don't do things 'because they can". They may purchase based on needs and even wants, but they understand basic common sense.

This is not to say you can't find someone somewhere who needs 100 guns. But it would seem to be that, for most citizens, stocking up like the Constitution says "like the well regulated militia" might be fine. A long rifle and a pistol...maybe two of each.

The answer seems to be in the human behavior. 97% of gun owners think one or a few is enough. Strangely....that 3% figure lines up somewhat with the number of sociopaths (3-5) and is scary when you even think of 1% psychopaths (will kill without even a thought).....

I really don't care if my neighbor has 10 guns gotten through proper channels (we have tough laws up here in MA)......but these crazies who get something stuck in their head and just go out and buy a bundle....that worries me.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:47 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
The Las Vegas gun man had 40+, nobody needs that much. This is why I use that number honestly.
Okay, why does it matter?

It's not like you can use more than one gun at once. Reloading a gun for anyone who's practiced it is something that can be done in a second or two (or even less, you can find people who've really practiced who are under a second).

Whether they have one gun or 1000 guns, they're pretty much equally capable of committing a mass shooting/doing whatever bad thing you want to reduce.

Maybe you could say that there's a small increase in capacity to do that out to say....5 guns. Something might jam, different weapons have different ranges/situations they're effective for, etc.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When you live in a civilized country there are MANY things that you do which succumb to both common sense and logic.

For example - I am a HAM. I might be able to put a single tower up on my property - but if I put 20 towers up there will certainly be some grief.

Most people live in a limited space - if they buy 30 cars and park them on their lawn that would be illogical.

In other words, normal people don't do things 'because they can". They may purchase based on needs and even wants, but they understand basic common sense.

This is not to say you can't find someone somewhere who needs 100 guns. But it would seem to be that, for most citizens, stocking up like the Constitution says "like the well regulated militia" might be fine. A long rifle and a pistol...maybe two of each.

The answer seems to be in the human behavior. 97% of gun owners think one or a few is enough. Strangely....that 3% figure lines up somewhat with the number of sociopaths (3-5) and is scary when you even think of 1% psychopaths (will kill without even a thought).....

I really don't care if my neighbor has 10 guns gotten through proper channels (we have tough laws up here in MA)......but these crazies who get something stuck in their head and just go out and buy a bundle....that worries me.
Many killers, probably most, don't have very many guns. And most only use one.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

Where does the Progressive tendency to want to control others come from? Elitism, projection, fear?
Statistics such as 500% more violent crime in LA or 300% more in TX.

This is what we call "real". It's not a joke and it's not a put down. We prefer to live in a place more civilized and peaceful and where the risk of bodily harm to ourselves and our loved ones is less.

IMHO, anyone who didn't want that would be....well, maybe it's time for YOU to explain why you think 300% 0r 500% more people being shot, killed, beat, etc. is a good thing?

Old 11-11-2017, 01:51 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
Quote:

I can buy 30 cars and put them in my backyard. Argument is flawed.

By the way, I went to a WWII airplane show recently. An older gentleman had about 25 guns out on display, I'm sure they were working since they all had locks. This guy has 25 guns in his house (maybe more). That's his business not mine.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Just so the gun nuts here don't waste their breath - let me speak for many of the people here.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it. It doesn't matter how many articles you point to. It doesn't matter how many anecdotes you come up with.

We believe that a country with 300 million guns floating around will result is VASTLY more death and suffering that one with many less. EVERY statistic bears this out - common sense does also

If I give a party and invite 500 people and have unlimited booze, coke, heroin, X, meth and the like on a big table in the middle of the room......will there be more folked up people at the end of the night than if there was just some beer and reefer?

I say yes.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Just so the gun nuts here don't waste their breath - let me speak for many of the people here.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it. It doesn't matter how many articles you point to. It doesn't matter how many anecdotes you come up with.

We believe that a country with 300 million guns floating around will result is VASTLY more death and suffering that one with many less. EVERY statistic bears this out - common sense does also

If I give a party and invite 500 people and have unlimited booze, coke, heroin, X, meth and the like on a big table in the middle of the room......will there be more folked up people at the end of the night than if there was just some beer and reefer?

I say yes.
so that is why as the number of guns has increased in this country, the number of gun homicides decreases every year?

Old 11-11-2017, 01:58 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Can you answer why someone needs 40 without the spin about it being private property?.
Can you answer why someone needs a 3500 sq ft home? No you can't. There is no logical reason that one or two people need that much space. They could live comfortably in 600 sq ft.

But, you see, that is the nice thing about living in a free country. You can have a 3500 sq ft home if you like. You can own 40 guns if you like. That's between you and your pocketbook to decide... and nobody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies