Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,197,812 times

Advertisements

Let's compare and contrast

ISIS -- Extremist group using scripture to rationalize taking advantage of teenage girls

Conservative Christians -- Extremist group using scripture to rationalize taking advantage of teenage girls

No Moore, no less.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 AM

923 posts, read 497,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Yes, in a court of law. But we're dealing with the court of public opinion. And the only way Moore has of clearing his name is to take a polygraph and pass it. If I was accused of something I didn't do I would volunteer to take a polygraph in a nanosecond.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,974,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
That's it in a nutshell. And why should we be surprised? They chose a man who molests women over a Democrat last fall. Basically, if they've got an R next to their name nothing is too reprehensible.
They chose this R over a different R during the primary. Even though the other R had Trump support.

Alabama politics aren't so simplistic. They are just as complicated as Massachusetts politics or California politics.

In this case, Roy Moore isn't accused of rape. He's accused of being a man in his 30's that sought out teenaged women to date. And while that certainly has a "creep" factor, the only illegality is if he engaged in sexual touching with a 14-year-old who is unable to consent, even according to the law in Alabama in 1979.
It's an accusation that cannot be proven. The woman has not filed a complaint with the police, she has simply told her story.

Given that there are no legal charges, that the incident is unlikely to be proven, Moore supporters aren't any different than Clinton supporters who decided to overlook the accusations of women against him. And they aren't any different than the Trump supporters who chose to overlook woman's accusation this past year.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of Moore supporters support him because they like his defiance. Even if they don't agree with his stances, they think to themselves, "This is a man that will stand up for me." The people who don't like him think to themselves, "This is a man who stands up for himself and only himself. He would unhesitatingly use the power of his office to squash me or anyone who disagrees with him. That's not a good thing."

34,619 posts, read 21,712,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Asked and answered, it's not a crime but it demonstrates his proclivity toward pedophilia.
In the case of the 18-year-old.... what about the 18-year-olds who have been in SI's swimsuit edition? Does that make all men who look at that pedophiles? Kate Upton had just turned 19 she she was on the cover.

Want to talk 17 and 18 year olds on fashion runways in sexy apparel?

Apparently, we have a pedophile society.

923 posts, read 497,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This is politics and her story rings true. Innocent until proven guilty is a legal term there is no case as the statute of limitations has run out.

Confirmation Bias

Old 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Sure you say guilty without any evidence which in turn is just your opinion, actually being guilty you must have evidence that proves you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt but let not let the facts get in the way.
lets all hope you folks screaming guilty without any proof never find yourselves accused of anything you didn't do. You are allowed to have your own opinion but the fact still remains he is innocent until he is proven guilty.
Actually I'm arguing that his guilt or innocence is innate and essentially unknowable for someone who wasn't there. People regularly are released after DNA evidence overturns their prior conviction. I'm sure there just as many people who beat a conviction that would have been justified.

I'm also arguing that what's considered a reasonable doubt varies considerably, even from the criminal to the civil courts, and especially in the court of public opinion. And, when it comes to the court of public opinion, who the person is matters a great deal on how much evidence is needed. If you're a Republican, you will generally need less evidence for a Democrat and more evidence for a fellow Republican; the converse is true for Democrats.

26,211 posts, read 19,590,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What's disgusting is that you are calling a person a pedophile without ZERO evidence....why is that?
Evidence? You think 5 women are making this up? You think that woman who was 14 yrs. old is making things up? Why do you believe she would make this up and take the word of Roy Moore? Do you think I would cover for Anthony Weiner when he was going after young girls? Of course not. He did, and should have, stepped down and faced the consequences.

There is no "proof", however, there is a preponderance of evidence from the accusations of 5 different women that there is something wrong with Roy Moore, and this is especially true coming from a woman who was 14 years old when he sexually molested her. And you go ahead and keep defending the indefensible. I hope it makes you feel good.

34,619 posts, read 21,712,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And you're the one trying so hard to deflect from Moore's perversions.

Why is that?
It there something in your past that makes you immediately think men are guilty based upon a single accusation? Is there some guilt in your past that is tainting your view?

36,753 posts, read 14,896,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
He/they won't as it only applies to one political party which is obviously not theirs.

I think the political whor#s like McCain (had to run to the nearest microphone and demand Moore leave) and others need to remember things they've been accused of, some baseless and insane and then remember that they're still in office or the general public.
Nobody is immune from accusations, it's been sad to see that for years all it takes is just a few unproven words with no investigation can totally destroy people.

For those that are cheering this on, y'all better hope YOU are never accused of anything untoward...

That's true, of course. And I do find the timing suspect.

And who expected anything different from McCain--or the rest of the RINOs, for that matter? It's the Dems who circle the wagons with respect to other Dems--whether an impropriety is alleged, or PROVEN.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:52 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,419,278 times
The bottom line is that allegations of child molestation against Roy Moore is a factor to be considered in whether to cast your vote for or against him. The Statute of Limitations bar a trial so we we the voters are the jury.

I believe the victims.

You either are for the perv or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies