Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:07 PM

4 posts, read 32,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
When are the people going to wake up and complain about all the junk that imported from China, sure it's cheap, but it's trash. The clothes fall apart after you wash them several times. Anything made of metals or plastic falls apart quickly. I would rather pay more for an item made in America then buy their JUNK!!!!
Agreed! With the quake, they are finding even "Made in China's" buildings are junk too!

Great move for many stupid American companies to want to move their factories there huh? They can't even recoupe any losses or sue the Chinese government even if they want to when business dealings goes bad.

I buy all things locally... proudly "grown or made in the U.S.A."..... have an Italian shoe fetish though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 11:31 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I have a pair of made in China Adidas that are 8 years old and wore them for 6 years straight, they are dirty and stained but still solid.

I bought a new pair to replace them and they are made in Indonesia, the stupid threads started falling apart on them after less than a year of wearing them and the sole split on one of them.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM

13 posts, read 28,636 times
Everything here is made in China!!!, even your American flag lapel pin.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:11 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
When are the people going to wake up and complain about all the junk that imported from China, sure it's cheap, but it's trash. The clothes fall apart after you wash them several times. Anything made of metals or plastic falls apart quickly. I would rather pay more for an item made in America then buy their JUNK!!!!
Most Americans don't want American made products, they want whichever one is the cheapest.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
I have lots of old tools, guns, non-electric lamps, canning jars, furniture, and more, much of it over a century old, almost all of it over 50 years old. All of which tells me it is possible to make quality stuff that'll last for generations. I've come across quite a bit of new, U.S. made stuff that's good quality, and some that's junk. I boycott China for many reasons when possible, but I've even seen some quality stuff made there and elsewhere. I think my mosin-nagant rifle and nagant revolver from Russia and my mauser from Germany will outlive myself and perhaps another hundred generations, with proper care. I doubt my new in the box Coleman lantern I bought a few years ago on sale will last even half as long as the 88 year old Coleman lantern I have, even handling it lightly compared to the older ones, and as far as I can tell, the newer one's made in the U.S., with perhaps some foreign parts. It truly does vary as far as where quality stuff is made, but I truly despise the throw away culture. I'd rather sharpen a tool, or buy a new rubber gasket for a canner, or buy a new gun spring, than throw away the entire item and buy new, only to do so again shortly. The whole get lots of cheap, poor quality stuff from China or wherever else they've found near slave labor, over having less but having quality stuff, just doesn't sit well with me...yeah you may end up looking well off with lots of stuff, but it's all cheap junk, quite fitting in an overpriced and junk quality mcmansion. We've gotten to where consumers have demanded lower and lower prices, and producers got those prices, by sending the work over to some foreign country where people are easily exploited. So now we have less and less high paying jobs, more and more low paying jobs, so people can't buy the more expensive U.S. made stuff, and are forced to buy the cheap stuff. People have shot themselves in the foot...but don't worry, the executives of the various big corps. are doing well. They have their cash cows, namely, everyone who must rely on them for survival...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I try not to throw away things as well. I try to buy the best quality I can but when I try to get them fixed either I can't find someone to fix it or it cost more to fix than if I bought new.

I have some old utensils and such that were my parents and I cherish them..they are still chugging along after 30+ years.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The fact remains that people want those products at those prices. Can you remember when there was the same talk about japnaese junk? Remember when american cars were the best and then they became the junk cars of the 70's.But if you look we still make very high quality and wanted products;just not the same products.With the world economy you might buy a product made in one country madeup of parts from another or several countries.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
[SIZE=1]013.jpg[/SIZE] Cheap Chinese toys???? Dangerous? I'll take an American made set of Quality Lawn Darts any day!!! Now those were well made and will last forever. Our Canadian neighbors are selling them to the US online although they are banned here. They will last a lifetime.
http://i2.sell.com/19/207/1260417/50/236/3310391-m.jpg (broken link)

Seriously, I read a post where someone said the Chinese were making substandard toys. The Chinese produce over 85% of all toys made on this planet. THEY ARE THE STANDARD.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:40 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
My American flag magnet has held up quite well...

Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
I now look at every label to see where the product is made. And try to NOT buy Made in China anymore. I spent double on some plastic utensils Made in America and proud to do it! On the other hand, I have a pair of very well made sandals Made in China. But for the most part do not buy their products. But is nearly impossible it seems to avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies