Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 02:39 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,654,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What exactly is missing from the bad schools?
I'd like to know the same thing. I don't know exactly what people think their kids need in school for it to qualify as good, but as far as I'm concerned as long as the building is up to code, there are teachers there to teach, and books there to learn from, that's all they really need. Schools and education are just big talking points all politicians love to talk about when they are trying to get elected. I moved around a lot when I was a kid, and I attended some pretty nice schools and some pretty dumpy schools. But one thing remained the same. I was always presented with a teacher in each class I took who was there to teach me what I was supposed to be trying to learn. Past those simple necessities, kids really don't need anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,411,610 times
Quote:
What exactly is missing from the bad schools?
Continuity is probably the worst thing. Social skills of the students. Parental involvement is lacking. Mastery of English.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,654,660 times
Quote:
I guarantee you whoever designed computers had nothing but paper, pens and books when graduating from high schools!
Nope, you are wrong.

we have had improving tools for centuries. by the time the first electronic brains were being designed there were a whole slew of devices to aid calculations...

Old 11-12-2017, 02:47 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,564,645 times
Quote:
What has changed in high school math, physics, biology, chemistry and history in 2017?
How it is taught. Access to information and knowing how to find relevant information is as important as the information itself. We used to be taught how to use a card catalogs to find books relevant to the topic we were seeking. I'm not even sure they still exist these days.

Now we have computers. But take a person that doesn't know what they don't know, and you'll find them struggling to use something as simple as a search engine. Something you and me take for granted because we learned how to use these things. Anybody that has had to teach some older baby boomers computers knows what I'm talking about. Fortunately, computers and apps have become much more intuitive than even just 10 years ago, and especially so since 20 years ago.

The theories and subjects haven't really changed, but the applications have. There are not a whole lot of good paying jobs and trades that don't use computers, or phones/apps. Even in construction while I sometimes write out a quick formula, and understanding the theories is important, I can accomplish many varied tasks, even complex tasks faster than my predecessors with a phone app.

Computers have really accelerated productivity like the world has never seen.

I don't need to memorize a 1300 page electrical code book. I do need to know how to find relevant information quickly with a computer or a phone, and then I do need to know how to apply the information correctly.

A luddite education system would not be doing this country any favors.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,614,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
How it is taught. Access to information and knowing how to find relevant information is as important as the information itself. We used to be taught how to use a card catalogs to find books relevant to the topic we were seeking. I'm not even sure they still exist these days.

Now we have computers. But take a person that doesn't know what they don't know, and you'll find them struggling to use something as simple as a search engine. Something you and me take for granted because we learned how to use these things. Anybody that has had to teach some older baby boomers computers knows what I'm talking about. Fortunately, computers and apps have become much more intuitive than even just 10 years ago, and especially so since 20 years ago.

The theories and subjects haven't really changed, but the applications have. There are not a whole lot of good paying jobs and trades that don't use computers, or phones/apps. Even in construction while I sometimes write out a quick formula, and understanding the theories is important, I can accomplish many varied tasks, even complex tasks faster than my predecessors with a phone app.

Computers have really accelerated productivity like the world has never seen.

I don't need to memorize a 1300 page electrical code book. I do need to know how to find relevant information quickly with a computer or a phone, and then I do need to know how to apply the information correctly.

A luddite education system would not be doing this country any favors.
Are you suggesting that in bad schools, children don't have access to whatever you said above?

Learn to use catalog card is a HUGE deal even for today, by the way.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,443,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Patriotmongoose? A bunch of unsourced nonsense, let me guess, that's your blog

Old 11-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Nope, you are wrong.

we have had improving tools for centuries. by the time the first electronic brains were being designed there were a whole slew of devices to aid calculations...
Not from 1900-2017. The math, history, physics, chemistry etc. are essentially the same.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
First thing I would look at is the turn over rate. And that one is pretty close to being deadly. And I am not sure what can be done about it without some massive social service commitment. Perhaps a set of schools in the inner cities that are in absolute lock step hour by hour. The thought being that it makes no difference which classroom you are in...exactly the same thing is covered. Not sure if it can be done however.
Give them financial incentive would be good way to start.

For example,

1. If the children in school with X% of attendance, their parents would get $.
2. If they maintain a B, their parents can get $$.
3. If they get A, their parents can get $$$.

Something like that and pretty cost effective.

Pretty soon, the parents would slap the crap out of the kids if they miss school.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:00 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,564,645 times
Quote:
Are you suggesting that in bad schools, children don't have access to whatever you said above?

Learn to use catalog card is a HUGE deal even for today, by the way.
I didn't suggest that. Is that the point you were trying to make? I thought you were arguing that computers and technology are irrelevant and that children don't need to know how to use it.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,411,610 times
Quote:
Not from 1900-2017. The math, history, physics, chemistry etc. are essentially the same.
That is pretty much silly. There have been vast changes in virtually all these fields. History for instance is over half the last century which has obviously been written in that period. Math, Physics and Chemistry have all gone through massive development and changes in the last 100 years. And the approach to a number of these areas has radically changed as the education art has progressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies