Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 06:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's funny that I see this sentiment by people who never once address how unfair it is to a child to be born into poverty by a young single mother who has to rely on social services in order to feed herself.

And you never discuss the fairness of those who wish to learn being dragged down by those who have zero interest in it.

Why is that? Do you only care about children when you feel you can blame other people for their unlevel playing field?
I would think free or very inexpensive contraception would be a good start. And ready access to abortions.

We could of course keep tight tabs on these people and remove the children if the environment is bad. But we won't. Costs too much. And the laws to redirect such children to happier circumstances cab be both convoluted and expensive.

And once in school every kid has a right to an environment suitable for learning. So you remove the disruptive kids. But that creates yet another problem. How do you educate the disruptive? Initially they use in-house facilities. Which are often a joke. Then, if that does not work, the approach appears to be virtual prisons. And the education piece is mostly babysitting. So basically we write off the disruptive.

Couple of years out they drop out and a new street hood or drug dealer is born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,243,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What exactly is missing from the bad schools?
Teachers. Many districts can't pay enough to ensure that there is a fully qualified teacher in every classroom. Our district alone has needed over 200 more teacher than we have to fully staff the schools. Instead, there are long-term subs or retirees who can only work half time to fill the positions so that there is an adult in every classroom.

Resources. Modern classrooms should have working technology in every classroom. The technology in my room is broken and will not be repaired or replaced. I am going to buy a $400 projector for my room because the one I have has speckles all across the projection area. That is typical in districts that have low funding like the one where I work. The district where I live has no technology issues and the parents chip in to purchase extra computers and software for their children's schools.

Buses and bus drivers. Not only can the district not attract teachers, it can't get drivers to get the students to school. The state department of education's audit spurred the purchase of buses over the summer, but the drivers still have to work multiple routes, returning to the school to pick up a second group of students.

A functional physical plant. In a large district with many old buildings such as the one in which I work, an historic school founded in the 1920s, there are problems with windows, foundations, and HVAC, leading to unhealthy conditions for students and staff. I am finally on top of the mold situation in my room, which led to my getting sick constantly for the first three months of the year. Other teachers in the building are still suffering. One quality new hire may leave because of illness and the district's failure to issue her a contract yet.

I could go on, but I still have papers to grade and enter into the computer before I go to bed.

Part of maintaining a civilization is the instruction of the young in the ways of that civilization. Part of what I teach is what has happened historically when culture is attacked and chaos ensues. I prefer to be a part of a civilized society, so I do my part in ensuring that our culture is passed on to the next generation. They deserve a good education because they were born into our civilized society.

If you don't want to pay for civilization, I think there are still islands that can be bought outside the bounds of any country. You are free to move and quit having all the burdens of society on your back.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Teachers. Many districts can't pay enough to ensure that there is a fully qualified teacher in every classroom. Our district alone has needed over 200 more teacher than we have to fully staff the schools. Instead, there are long-term subs or retirees who can only work half time to fill the positions so that there is an adult in every classroom.

Resources. Modern classrooms should have working technology in every classroom. The technology in my room is broken and will not be repaired or replaced. I am going to buy a $400 projector for my room because the one I have has speckles all across the projection area. That is typical in districts that have low funding like the one where I work. The district where I live has no technology issues and the parents chip in to purchase extra computers and software for their children's schools.

Buses and bus drivers. Not only can the district not attract teachers, it can't get drivers to get the students to school. The state department of education's audit spurred the purchase of buses over the summer, but the drivers still have to work multiple routes, returning to the school to pick up a second group of students.

A functional physical plant. In a large district with many old buildings such as the one in which I work, an historic school founded in the 1920s, there are problems with windows, foundations, and HVAC, leading to unhealthy conditions for students and staff. I am finally on top of the mold situation in my room, which led to my getting sick constantly for the first three months of the year. Other teachers in the building are still suffering. One quality new hire may leave because of illness and the district's failure to issue her a contract yet.

I could go on, but I still have papers to grade and enter into the computer before I go to bed.

Part of maintaining a civilization is the instruction of the young in the ways of that civilization. Part of what I teach is what has happened historically when culture is attacked and chaos ensues. I prefer to be a part of a civilized society, so I do my part in ensuring that our culture is passed on to the next generation. They deserve a good education because they were born into our civilized society.

If you don't want to pay for civilization, I think there are still islands that can be bought outside the bounds of any country. You are free to move and quit having all the burdens of society on your back.

Books and computers are free in the library.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times
Quote:
And how does that help the teacher in the class room?

Old 11-12-2017, 06:54 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,243,293 times
Quote:
The main library in our city was recently closed due to mold. The branch libraries have very limited hours due to budget cuts. Most are only open 2-3 days per week and no longer on week-ends. They are also few and far between. Families without transportation can't get students to the libraries. There is no functional public transportation. These are the realities in a poor city.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,557,978 times
Quote:
No, they are not "free". Nothing is free, they are subsidized by mostly the local taxpayers, just like public education.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You provide proof of the procedure having been successfully performed, and I will send you a certified check the same day. Or, PayPal? Direct deposit? Whatever you like.
I'd be glad to chip in at least half

Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,851,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Unless your disabled or have some sort of disability, it’s nobody’s fault but your own if you’re poor.

Get an education, learn an in demand trade, don’t have babies while you’re trying to get your career on track, and dont abuse drugs and/or alcohol.
What's your level of education?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:14 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sounds like Gates and Bezos substantially increased demand for housing without any plan for a commensurate increase in the supply of housing,
Gee whiz..are you saying the other large firms in the Seattle area had plans for housing for their employees like Boeing 80,000 employees, Lewis-McChord Airbase, 56,000, University of Washington 25,000, Providence Health 20,000, Walmart 20,000? If they did they sure kept it a secret

PS Amazon has 20,000 employees in Seattle, Microsoft has 42,000

Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 960,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Um, perhaps you should first answer questions posters have asked you in the thread YOU began before you start asking questions of the posters. You could begin by answering the questions I've twice (!) asked you.

Why do you not want to answer them? Because you know you haven't pulled on your own bootstraps hard enough?
The questions you asked about my education and career? I didn't see any reason why that was relevant to answer. The answer is that I went to a crappy private high school, a good public university, and now make 6 figures doing something unrelated to my degree, a skill that I self-taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies