Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am sure your experience is pretty unique. Japanese are the most polite people on earth. I shall know, I am 1/4

In all fairness, they don't like to draw attention in public, generally speaking.
In Japan, I have found them to be polite and considerate.

In Hawaii as TOURISTS...totally different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:45 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
In Japan, I have found them to be polite and considerate.

In Hawaii as TOURISTS...totally different story.
I don't know what exactly have you experienced, are you sure they are Japanese? lol

Kidding, I am just kidding. I believe you.

I try not to paint the entire group with one broad brush. Nothing much really offends me anyway. lol

Old 11-15-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I am a vet and love my country. I have heard the same thing from Europeans. They love to act superior. I don't disagree with their view that our government is a bit out of control. After all we do involve ourselves in every brush fire all over the world. Our governments actions are what makes Americans less than popular in the eyes of others. Vietnam? Iraq? Iranians don't hate hate Americans, they hate our government and they have a very good reason.
Cuba? Yeah we screwed that one up too.
Libya? Syria?
The Europeans don't hold the moral high ground that they like to believe they do. They enjoy the protection of NATO which let's face it Americans foot the lion share of the bill and most European members don't pay the share they agreed to.
The United States has a long way to go before we catch up to Europe's body count and destruction.
Some Canadians like to act superior too.

Some Europeans still think they are the rulers of the world . They don't seem to realize that the colonies are gone and the role Europe had is over.

Most Europeans, however, are pleasant people.

Years ago, I met a guy from Sweden. He happened to be one of the sweetest person I've ever met. He taught me a lot about the military and I didn't even know they had special forces. He is a very humble person.

I think to him, “culture” was associated with the quest for personal growth. Very refreshing.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
LMAO at #4. It is so true, I have family that live in Germany and the Netherlands. They say that they can spot an American within seconds, these are the common indicators they mention.

1. White sneakers worn as everyday apparel. They say that if you see an adult in public wearing sneakers but particularly white sneakers, there is a 99% chance that they are American. They think it is so odd that for Americans this is normal and that some people even have sneakers that are only worn for fashion purposes. They say that Americans tend to dress like young children their entire lives.

2. White socks

3. Athletic/outdoorsman style outerwear - Bright, colorful nylon jackets and coats worn in the city. Some with sports team logos, etc. Once again, a clothing style they think is only suitable for children.

4. Talking to strangers, store employees, etc. - they say that Americans expect everyone to chat and act like they are friends even during the most simple transaction at a store. It makes some of them very uncomfortable, they say that Americans act like street criminals trying to make small talk as a distraction for pickpockets or other petty crimes.

5. Smiles and teeth that are soooooo white they look fake. A normal European adult does not walk around smiling like a lunatic for no reason.

6. Adult men wearing shorts in public. For them, this is a major faux pax. As far as they are concerned no self respecting adult male wears shorts in public unless they have something seriously wrong with them or they are on their way to play football. For many, this is considered extremely rude and boorish behavior.

I am getting the impression that Europeans are unfriendly, superior, hypercritical, judgemental, inflexible, and intolerant.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I am getting the impression that Europeans are unfriendly, superior, hypercritical, judgemental, inflexible, and intolerant.
Sometimes they are. But, you also need to add: nationalistic --- most particularly the French.

Old habits die hard, and the Euro countries that have been around for centuries and operating on familiar cultural patterns, so...........

For the record, because it's important:
The "ugly American" tourist does exist BUT, they are a fraction of all American tourists abroad. For every 'ugly' there are 20 who are NOT.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 AM

3,337 posts, read 2,140,399 times
When I tell unfamiliar Europeans that I reside in Florida they seem to believe my day goes something like this:
  • Shoot something for breakfast > Go to Disney
  • Shoot something for lunch > Go to the beach
  • Shoot something for dinner > Shoot anything still moving after dinner
  • Watch four hours of bad television while drinking copious amounts of cheap, watered-down beer
  • Shoot dozens of rounds into the air while yelling a combination of obscenities and " 'Merica! "
  • Go to bed clutching your spouse (or your own genitals) with one hand and an assault rifle with the other

Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
When I tell unfamiliar Europeans that I reside in Florida they seem to believe my day goes something like this:
  • Watch four hours of bad television while drinking copious amounts of cheap, watered-down beer
  • Shoot into the air while yelling a combination of obscenities and " 'Merica! "
  • Go to bed clutching your spouse (or your own genitals) with one hand and an assault rifle with the other
lol haha

Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
  • Shoot dozens of rounds into the air while yelling a combination of obscenities and " 'Merica! "
That sounds pretty accurate.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:13 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
America has become a clash of culture.

When immigrants come here and refuse to at least honor our culture then they shouldn't come.

When they treat women as an object to satisfy their desires right in front of you that is all the criminal act I need to deport them.

My experience started in High School by a teacher from India. They hate men because of the way they are treated in their country, so don't bring it here. It continued by interacting with them in public as being rude and robbing you by giving you the wrong change in the many convenience stores they own.

Many other experiences by varying nationalities.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:16 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am sure your experience is pretty unique. Japanese are the most polite people on earth. I shall know, I am 1/4

In all fairness, they don't like to draw attention in public, generally speaking.

I have spent some time in Japan and other Asia countries. If Japanese tourists get obnoxious (which I have seen more with Chinese ad SE Asian people) they can be reminded of their manners. Since I speak a little Japanese that's not so tough. If they are indeed being rude and get called on it they are profoundly embarrassed.

Being rude is not tolerated in Japanese culture. They define it differently, but they do pride themselves on proper etiquette. Koreans...well, not all Asia is Japan. And the reverse is also true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies