Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Al Franken Resign
Yes 165 55.00%
No 82 27.33%
Not sure/maybe/depends/other 53 17.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times

Advertisements

Maybe he should resign. I like him better as a comedian.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:28 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
It's a joke, there are other people around
Not to her. She was asleep and the target. The publishing of the photo further victimizes her. She made it clear in interviews that she did not want Franken to even touch her, much less kiss her as part of the skit. I bet he makes actresses take off their clothes so that he can "rehearse" scenes that have no nuditiy.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
But she says that during rehearsal he stuck his tongue in her mouth. Is that acceptable? Is it acceptable to even "pretend" to grab someone's breasts while they are sleeping?
The kiss is acceptable if they were rehearsing a kiss.

She consented to be kissed. I doubt they discussed the particulars of kissing beforehand.

And, no... it was a juvenile prank and he should be embarrassed of himself, but she was wearing a flak jacket and that photo does not appear to show him actually touching her at all.

I have condemned people from a wide variety of political and social leanings, but this one is really not the drama that people are making it out to be.

Good grief. We've seen and heard far worse from so many other politicians.

Including President Two Scoops.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:31 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,781,830 times
Getting the popcorn out for this one...

Gosh, I despise Franken. Schadenfreude.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:31 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I didn’t know he stuck his tongue into anyone’s mouth without their consent. I did not know that even happened. In no way am I defending that.
What I found most disturbing is that she was not in a scene and hadn't asked to be in a scene. Franken took it upon himself to write her into a scene, opposite himself of course and then included a kiss in the scene. Then he told her they needed to rehearse. Then he insisted they rehearse the kiss as well. When she reluctantly agreed, he grabbed her by her head, pulled her to him and shoved his tongue down her throat. She talked about running to the bathroom to wash the taste of him out of her mouth.

Grabbing her breasts as she slept, or simulating grabbing her breasts while she slept, as Franken and his buddies laughed it up and took pictures was in bad taste, but imo it was just base, locker room humor. The kiss thing though is creepy.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:32 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why do you think he wouldn't be finished?
Democrats are much more forgiving, especially when it's "just about sex", or implied sex in this case.

For reference see Gerry Studds/Dan Crane censure. One got reelected multiple times while the other lost his next election.

Then there was Jack Ryan who withdrew from a Senate race when his sealed divorce documents were mysteriously released. Strangely enough his opponent was a one term State Senator and former community organizer by the name of Obama.

Wilbur Mills was reelected after a drunken swim with a stripper in the Tidal Basin.

Ted Kennedy.

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

She consented to be kissed. I doubt they discussed the particulars of kissing beforehand.

And, no... it was a juvenile prank and he should be embarrassed of himself, but she was wearing a flak jacket and that photo does not appear to show him actually touching her at all.

I have condemned people from a wide variety of political and social leanings, but this one is really not the drama that people are making it out to be.

But it's a Democrat and it's all they've got. Whatever...if it's found that Franken truly humiliated this woman then he she go like the rest of him. And that's the difference between me and the rest of this sordid crew here. They'd go to bad and save a child molester (that even old turkeyneck is condemning) but gleefully insist that Franken go. I don't get this at all.

1,187 posts, read 1,023,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Getting the popcorn out for this one...

Gosh, I despise Franken. Schadenfreude.
I think, we are going to see more. If it is true, they never stops with one.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:36 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

You're honestly defending what Al Franken did? The woman was not in a scene. Franken went out of his way to write her into a scene, opposite himself of course. Then he wrote a kiss into the scene. Then he demanded they rehearse. Then he demanded they rehearse the kiss. She said she was uncomfortable with having to kiss him in a rehearsal, but reluctantly agreed. At which point he grabbed her, pulled her head into his face and jammed his tongue down her throat. She said she was so upset she ran to the bathroom to wash the taste of him out of her mouth. You think he would have done that if she was a he? Or if she was an unattractive woman? Hell no. This was pre-meditated. He planned and schemed to get her alone and do this to her. To defend this behavior and deflect with "yeah but".....

Old 11-16-2017, 02:38 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
For everyone saying that he didn't touch her, that's only what the still shot shows. How do you know that his hands weren't on the way up off her when the pic was taken or on their way down? Nobody but he and the photographer knows.
You're really reaching here.

By that rationale, we could go so far with so many other people that you DO like.

She's not said he did anything but kiss her too deeply when they were rehearsing a kiss she CONSENTED TO and that she was wearing a flak jacket when she dozed off and woke up and later discovered the existence of this photo of him pretending to grope her while she slept.

Was it really in poor taste? Good grief, yes. It's juvenile.

But... he was a comedian, not a Senator, at the time of this incident.

And... she has made no mention of her clothing being removed or disrupted, so I think it's pretty safe to say there's nothing more to this story.

If you add in her ties to right-wing commentary and news, I think it's not hard to see what this is all about.

Still, he did apologize and is offering to participate fully in any sort of inquiry into this matter.

That's damned upstanding compared to the commentary out of the Trump camp.

LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies