Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Al Franken Resign
Yes 165 55.00%
No 82 27.33%
Not sure/maybe/depends/other 53 17.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:52 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
As someone who's actually worn a flak vest, I assure you it's impossible to grope someone through one. The other part of the story is clearly sexual harassment, and he should probably resign.
Doesn't matter, he was objectifying her and making a joke of it and then today being sanctimonious. Resign, not so sure but shut his mouth yes. Personally I don't like him, never did, but being a pig isn't grounds for resigning especially when it didn't occur on the job as senator. However, let this be a lesson to him and not judge others.

I know many of these men did the things they are accused of, but there may be cases of a setup. I remember a recent incident of a woman school teacher being accused by a student of sexual misconduct. Luckily, they dug into the kid further and determined he was lying and was found not guilty, however her reputation was already ruined. How easy it would be to pay a few women to make accusations of something that might have occurred 20 or 30 years ago. How does a man or woman prove that it didn't happen even as the accuser can't really prove it did. Whose reputation is ruined? Not the accuser's.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:53 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Franken seems sketchy, he should step down. Take your punishment like a man, don't divert blame, don't search for excuses.

I can at least respect that he didn't try to blame it on some "war on Jesus", while simultaneously saying "it didn't happen, he didn't remember if it happened, and if it did happen, he definitely had permission" or some other stupid crap like that.
Easy to say since he is from Minnesota and will be replaced by a democrat. Others, say from Alabama, with accusations against them are going to lead to a loss of a seat for the party he belongs to. If Minnesota's governor was a republican it might change the mental math a little as far as tossing your own under the bus in order to appear impartial goes.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:54 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,476 times
What a creepy pervert and a hypocrite.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:58 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Easy to say since he is from Minnesota and will be replaced by a democrat. Others, say from Alabama, with accusations against them are going to lead to a loss of a seat for the party he belongs to. If Minnesota's governor was a republican it might change the mental math a little as far as tossing your own under the bus in order to appear impartial goes.
He isn't one of my own lol

If the stakes are higher in those other situations that we need not mention, then perhaps they should have spent a bit more time with their vetting and self oppo research first. In fact, there seems to be a bit of a pre-screening problem going on in both parties right now. Seems like in some of these cases, the accused's... proclivities, were reasonably well known gossiping points in their respective communities. Not only that, but many of these people had encountered prior... legal troubles, which should have red flagged them as poor choices to begin with, regardless of any kind of subsequent allegations. With the well known magnetism between these political positions of power and people of sociopathic personality types, taking some longer, harder looks at people in the early stages seems like it would be well warranted.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Entertainers are often traveling in tight quarters, they may even be housed in the same rooms on a tour, same bus, a group of men and women sleeping side by side. This woman felt safe sleeping with those guys around her, she trusted them.
The only men I 100% trust and feel safe with are my husband, my father, and my brother.

Nobody else.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Yeah, that is pretty disturbing. It looks like a juvenile prank, but he wasn't a juvenile. He has to pay a price.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
He exhibited poor taste and poor judgement. That is not the same as sexual abuse.

Sorry if someone posted this reply already, but ive long known him as a great Senator who is one of the few asking tough questions:

Quote:
The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women. There's more I want to say, but the first and most important thing—and if it's the only thing you care to hear, that's fine—is: I'm sorry.

I respect women. I don't respect men who don't. And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.

But I want to say something else, too. Over the last few months, all of us—including and especially men who respect women—have been forced to take a good, hard look at our own actions and think (perhaps, shamefully, for the first time) about how those actions have affected women.

For instance, that picture. I don't know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn't matter. There's no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn't funny. It's completely inappropriate. It's obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture. And, what's more, I can see how millions of other women would feel violated by it—women who have had similar experiences in their own lives, women who fear having those experiences, women who look up to me, women who have counted on me.

Coming from the world of comedy, I've told and written a lot of jokes that I once thought were funny but later came to realize were just plain offensive. But the intentions behind my actions aren't the point at all. It's the impact these jokes had on others that matters. And I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come to terms with that.

While I don't remember the rehearsal for the skit as Leeann does, I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences.

I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.

And the truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories. They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Your argument is party and power would play a role in one's position. That is pretty sad. Largely true for many, but sad.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:09 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Your argument is party and power would play a role in one's position. That is pretty sad. Largely true for many, but sad.
The person at the center of that particular scandal could have salvaged the seat easily by stepping aside, but would not due to a combination of pride and other people in his party telling him "if you did this, you should step aside" basically trapping him in a lose-lose situation. So the anger seems a bit misdirected.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:10 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I don't want to live in a uber PC world where we can't tell dirty (offensive) jokes. I could stand to live in a world where people do not grab, grope, expose, ask for lewd favors, etc. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies