Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't know much about that. I DO know that overwhelming numbers of young men in my area put down their farm tools and marched thousands of miles to free the slaves. The monuments here list all of their many names. Many more came back wounded, never to work again. Our cemetaries here have many of them.
Unfortunately the South in many ways won the peace after the war. When Lincoln waz assassinated he was succeeded by Andrew Johnson, who was a Southerner who had opposed slavery on the grounds of it's ill effects on white working class people but who was also a virulent racist. Much progress that was made in the immediate aftermath of the war was rolled back and Jim Crow became the kaw of the land across the South, a situation that was cemented when President Grant refused to send federal troops into Louisiana to suppress extreme racial violence, followed shortly by a deal between the two parties that gave the South a free hand with the blacks in return for them accepting Hayes as the victor in the disputed 1876 presidential election.
I am not buying that you don't know about segregation.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:18 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You know how I can tell a white person who lives in an all-white community, has a an all-white social circle, and sends their kids to all-white schools (aside from the fact that this is pretty much all white people's situation)? It will be the ones who crow the loudest about how much they love "diversity."
I am a white person who lives in a diverse neighborhood, so that argument does not hold water across the board.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
In my area, there has ALWAYS been lots "Diversity". But they didn't care about that, back in the old days. It was a meaningless term to them. Even just fifty-sixty years ago.
All that DID matter was working hard and making money, whatever your ethnic background (and church, for most of them). When that's all you're focused on, then people get along great. And everybody prospers, oddly enogh.
But that's a LIE. All that mattered wasn't just working hard.

If you were a woman, your place was at home subservient to a man. How many women were able to climb the corporate ladder, even if they worked hard?

If you were black, good luck back then getting equivalent education and even having a fair shot at the jobs whites got.

And if you were gay or lesbian...forget it, had to act heterosexual or else you we're toast.

Diversity initiatives can be taken way too far, but the core ideas is that everyone of all backgrounds should have a fair chance if they work hard. That's a principle we should support.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I am a white person who lives in a diverse neighborhood, so that argument does not hold water across the board.
Likewise.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:16 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Well, I do know that many of the incredibly hard-working farm guys put their tools down for a few years, when their own families could least afford it. They marched off thousands of miles to help free the slaves. Many did not return.
The ones who did return just got back to work.

Jim Crow only ended in the 1960s...until then, blacks were being assaulted, raped and even killed for demanding equal rights and justice.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

If you were a woman, your place was at home subservient to a man. How many women were able to climb the corporate ladder, even if they worked hard?

If you were black, good luck back then getting equivalent education and even having a fair shot at the jobs whites got.

And if you were gay or lesbian...forget it, had to act heterosexual or else you we're toast.

Diversity initiatives can be taken way too far, but the core ideas is that everyone of all backgrounds should have a fair chance if they work hard. That's a principle we should support.
It's funny, in an Orwellian way, how those most opposed to a 'forced diversity' seem to be perfectly comfortable with a forced uniformity.

If only women were more like men ... or had the common decency to act that way ...

If only black folks were more like white folks ...

If only gay or lesbian folks were more like straight ones ...

Not to mention (simply because you already have) that the various laws condoned & incentivized subservience.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:22 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Part of the problem with diversity discussions is that most only see diversity in terms of whites vs everyone else. maineguy8888 has been slammed here for being from a State that has little in the way of racial diversity when he has spoken of cultural and ethnic types of diversity. He is right in that diversity is far more than just race.

I live in rural Vermont which is just as white as Maine yet I would venture that I live in a more diverse community than most here who would judge us negatively for our lack of racial diversity. What am I referring to? Economic and cultural diversity. Rich and poor live side by side, socialize, and function as equal members of the community. I contrast that to the urban/suburban model whereby the affluent live apart from the poor and working classes and then claim superiority because affluent minorities live in the same neighborhoods and attend the same social functions.

In my little hamlet some are natives, some are transplants from very different places. We have multi-millionaires and we have poor people living in rusting old trailers, and the full spectrum in-between. And guess what, we all socialize and function in the community as equals. A summer cookout at one of those old trailers will have that full spectrum in attendance, and the rich will bring a dish like everyone else, and help with the cleanup afterwards like everyone else. They are not viewed or treated as anyone special nor do they treat anyone differently based on economic factors.

Small towns up here have small govt and few town employees. The work is mostly done by volunteers or people paid token amounts. One of our Listers (a key role in Town that manages the Grand List) works a few hours per week for $14/hour. Without pay in the winter he will swing by the Town Hall to shovel the walkway before it opens so that the road crew can focus on the roads. Without pay in the summer he mows and weed whacks around the old one room schoolhouse for the Town. Folks know he isn't poor based on his home/property but few have any inkling he is a multi-millionaire.

Neighbors look after their elderly/infirm neighbors in whatever capacity is needed be it making a meal, mowing the lawn/shoveling snow, bringing in the mail etc. Do the young urban hipsters smug in the fact their social circle is racially diverse interact with or assist the elderly and frail in their environs, or do they stick with their narrow cultural demographic?

I posit that I live and function in greater diversity than most who can't see beyond the fact that it is a 100% white community. Diversity is not just color.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:28 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Right, there definitely wasn't and isn't widespread, well-documented discrimination in employment, housing, etc.

Yes, we all realize things were great for white Christians. They were not great for everybody else.

If it was so great and everybody prospered, why do we still have ghettos filled with black people?

Bad choices.

There is no white boogieman forcing black females to have three kids by two different guys before age twenty or making black males sell crack and/or shoot some other black males.

Things are better for people that don't do stupid ****!

Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, since most all diversity was forced by WAR, then it must always be bad.

I will hang my head in shame at having missed the Holocaust and joining a nation which forced the original populations (Indians and Mexicans) out.
Mexicans are also colonialists! What the heck?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:33 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Is there some reason you people are resurrecting old events? Is there some agenda here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies