Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 11:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,464,605 times

Advertisements

Mainly because conservative Christians are a bunch of jackwagons who want to use their religion to boss everyone around. Not having it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 02:20 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,151,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm an atheist so Christianity never meant anything to me and I used to debate it on a religious forum before I found CD. That said, I now appreciate the idea that we are a "christian nation" in light of an alternative being an "islamic nation" because I had never considered the possibility of a religious war before. So yes, I may not be religious but that's because I have the choice not to be Christian.
Why does the nation HAVE to endorse a religion, where the choice is either a Christian nation or an Islamic nation?

Why not just follow the founding fathers' principles and have NO default religion, leaving it to people to privately follow whatever religion they choose?

To me, publicizing religion is akin to publicizing one's sex fantasies. One's personal beliefs on what happens to their soul after they die seems to me like it should be a very personal matter.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Mainly because conservative Christians are a bunch of jackwagons who want to use their religion to boss everyone around. Not having it.
Nearly everyone wants to do that in one way or the other.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:43 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,799,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
And what exactly is that place? Why should Christianity have a more prominent place in government than any other religion?

State run public schools did not exist then. Pray in church if you want we don't need it in our public schools. What good would school prayer do anyway?

Is Santa a religious figure? I must have missed him in the Bible.
A place where people are persecuted for practicing their religion. Who said Christianity should have a role in government, prominent or not? But, neither should it be excluded. Why can anything else be said in schools except prayer?

Given the state of many public schools, prayer might be good for them.

Senator Feinstein believes Catholics should not be allowed on the Federal judiciary and said so publicly. Banished because of their faith. Religion has become a qualification for public office.

Xmas is actually the biggest example of cultural appropriation in history. A festival of European pagans to mark the Winter solstice, the period of hunger, and the hoped for approach of renewal in Spring was made into a festival commemorating the birth of the Christian God.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
A place where people are persecuted for practicing their religion. Who said Christianity should have a role in government, prominent or not? But, neither should it be excluded. Why can anything else be said in schools except prayer?
Nobody can stop a student from praying in school. I think you can likely answer your own question as to why a teacher shouldn't lead it.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:10 AM

19,833 posts, read 9,398,479 times
Evidently, a good many of the "Founding Fathers" were actually Deists and NOT Christians.

Deism and the Founding Fathers | Armed and Dangerous

Deism: Its history, beliefs and practices

(And which I am, also, although I will often describe myself as agnostic, as most people, I have discovered, do not know what a Deist believes -- and doesn't believe!)

Old 11-28-2017, 07:11 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,387,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Everyone should be athiests. That way you can do whatever you want without consequences, especially if you're in a position of power.

Atheism is the real YOLO religion. Do whatever you like.
This isn't true. And it is not the reason why the overwhelming majority of atheists and agnostics believe the way they do.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:13 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,118,951 times
Because the founding fathers, even centuries ago, were more intelligent than some of the current conservatives, who feel that America is a "christian nation."

While the majority of religious Americans may identify as christian, this being the land of the free where any and everyone is able to practice whatever religion they so choose, America is NOT a "Christian Nation." I think that's beautiful.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Christian nationalists can cherry-pick quotes from the Founding Fathers to promote their agenda of turning our government into a theocracy and likewise those who want a secular state have plenty of material to pull from. I personally believe that it's impossible to say "the founding fathers believed this" because there was a greater diversity in belief on religion's role in government in the late 18th century than people on both sides of the argument today want to admit.

However, what does matter is what our founding documents actually say. In 1776 there was no reason to be politically correct so if the founders wanted a Christian society, they could have easily put it in our Constitution. However, here is what we have.

Declaration of Independence: Reference to "nature's God" and a generic "Creator" but no reference to Christianity, Jesus, the Bible, the Church, or anything related specifically to Christianity.

Constitution: It bans religious tests to hold public office. It also guarantees freedom of religion and prevents laws pertaining to establishment of religion. Once again, no mention of Christianity, Jesus, the Bible, etc, etc. The Constitution doesn't even use the word "God."

Articles of Confederation: Also doesn't mention God, the Bible, Jesus, Christianity, etc, etc. It makes one reference to religion, in article III where it says "The said States hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other, for their common defense, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretense whatever."

This is not to say that the culture of our country hasn't been heavily influenced by Christianity because it has. However, our nation's laws are not bound to Christianity or its rules and if that is what the founders intended, it would say so in our founding documents.

"One nation under God, indivisible". "In God we trust".

Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 684,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Christian nationalists can cherry-pick quotes from the Founding Fathers to promote their agenda of turning our government into a theocracy and likewise those who want a secular state have plenty of material to pull from. I personally believe that it's impossible to say "the founding fathers believed this" because there was a greater diversity in belief on religion's role in government in the late 18th century than people on both sides of the argument today want to admit.

However, what does matter is what our founding documents actually say. In 1776 there was no reason to be politically correct so if the founders wanted a Christian society, they could have easily put it in our Constitution. However, here is what we have.

Declaration of Independence: Reference to "nature's God" and a generic "Creator" but no reference to Christianity, Jesus, the Bible, the Church, or anything related specifically to Christianity.

Constitution: It bans religious tests to hold public office. It also guarantees freedom of religion and prevents laws pertaining to establishment of religion. Once again, no mention of Christianity, Jesus, the Bible, etc, etc. The Constitution doesn't even use the word "God."

Articles of Confederation: Also doesn't mention God, the Bible, Jesus, Christianity, etc, etc. It makes one reference to religion, in article III where it says "The said States hereby severally enter into a firm league of friendship with each other, for their common defense, the security of their liberties, and their mutual and general welfare, binding themselves to assist each other, against all force offered to, or attacks made upon them, or any of them, on account of religion, sovereignty, trade, or any other pretense whatever."

This is not to say that the culture of our country hasn't been heavily influenced by Christianity because it has. However, our nation's laws are not bound to Christianity or its rules and if that is what the founders intended, it would say so in our founding documents.

Because USA is a Masonic Nation, not a Christian Nation.

And Masonry is antichrist's club of fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies