Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 PM

672 posts, read 256,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Street preachers in Oklahoma will still preach against Catholics, saying they are on their way to hell.
Street preachers...a very good reason to never set foot in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,149,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Street preachers in Oklahoma will still preach against Catholics, saying they are on their way to hell.
I'm not sure why they squabble so much. They're both Christianity, believe in Jesus, sing in church, etc. Catholics eat cookies in church, Baptist women wear enormous flamboyant flowered hats.

So what's the issue?

Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,226,529 times
Default Perhaps they do, but in a subtle fashion

Item: Creator endowed rights to life, liberty, inherent powers, etc, etc.
Which religions recognize that all men have them, and we should respect those rights?

As in thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bear false witness, etc, etc. [With no special exemptions for infidels, heathens, pagans, bourgeoisie, capitalists, barbarians, republicans, etc.]

I can recall only one who preached "Love God and love thy neighbor. That is the whole of the law."

Obviously, there are many who call themselves "followers" while engaging in predatory and destructive practices that refute such self serving claims. Evil is as evil does. Ignore the label. Focus on the actions.

Tolerance of evil is unmerciful to the next victim.

So what do you think of a government instituted to secure Creator endowed rights from trespass by predators?
In harmony with the "law of love" or with the "law of the jungle"?

Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why does the nation HAVE to endorse a religion, where the choice is either a Christian nation or an Islamic nation?

Why not just follow the founding fathers' principles and have NO default religion, leaving it to people to privately follow whatever religion they choose?

To me, publicizing religion is akin to publicizing one's sex fantasies. One's personal beliefs on what happens to their soul after they die seems to me like it should be a very personal matter.
Some religions don't allow it to be kept private.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,192,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Apparently it is. Or we wouldn't have Catholics and Baptists, would we? Both sects, BTW, persecuted each other when they were in a position to do so.
No there isn't. This is pure ignorance. The Gospel is the same.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Growing up, I was taught that Catholics were not Christians because they "worship statues" and pray to saints. There was a time not long ago when my Baptist family would have had a fit if I even stepped foot in a Catholic church. Today they wouldn't mind because at least Catholics don't affirm LGBT relationships. On the other hand, I would be better off admitting my atheism than I would going to an Episcopal church of a United Church of Christ (because those denominations are LGBT affirming). Currently, Catholics and Baptists are allied in the culture war, but should they be in a position to do so, I have no doubt the rivalry would resume.
I grew up a Presbyterian in Southern Alabama. The parents of my neighborhood friends (many who never went past 3rd grade) would tell me all the time that I was going to hell because my religion wasn't the same as theirs.

Presbyterians didn't believe full immersion in water was necessary for baptism; and they didn't believe in literal interpretation of the bible.

So I can only imagine what those neighbors would have said were we Catholic in addition to being yanks from up north.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
The founding fathers were smart enough to understand that having a country based on said religion would be bad. Sadly some Christians came together and tried to make it one. They pained pictures of G.W kneeling and pointed to this as one way to prove this is a country based on Judeo-Christian values. They changed the pledge of allegiance to include God. Despite this is a nation based on believe what it is you want too. THAT"S what the founding fathers wanted.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:04 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,192,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The founding fathers were smart enough to understand that having a country based on said religion would be bad. Sadly some Christians came together and tried to make it one. They pained pictures of G.W kneeling and pointed to this as one way to prove this is a country based on Judeo-Christian values. They changed the pledge of allegiance to include God. Despite this is a nation based on believe what it is you want too. THAT"S what the founding fathers wanted.
Why is it sad?

Do you think turning the other cheek is sad? Do you realize that if every person in the US abided by the words of Christ that there would be no wars?

In your near future, there will be an oil shock due to lack of infrastructure, that will likely be the catalyst for the worst economic crisis in history.

It is likely that this time, given the level of involvement, and perhaps collusion between central banks particularly in inflating global assets, that formerly sovereign functions will be consolidated into one global entity.

Countries will cease to exist as they will no longer be in control of their own finances. Power will also be consolidated between fewer and fewer people.

Automation will make jobs obsolete in the next few decades, rendering 99% of the world's population not just unemployed, but unemployable.

Do you believe in altruism? You see, if the entire world abided by the words of Christ, you would have nothing to fear, but that's not reality.

In reality, people are evil and selfish. Those same people who believe they are superior to others, like yourself, will suffer no consequences in their minds for the actions they take on civilization.

If I were to bet, I would imagine that they would begin to imprison people for debt. It's a very easy way to "solve" the population problem as people with student loan debt will never be able to repay it, and people who purchased real estate at the peak of this artificially inflated market, will likewise never be able to repay their debt.

As people become more desperate, they will burn down the world, so those at the top will start replacing biological components with artificial components, so they can continue to live and explore as others die a biological death. However, AI is predicated on massive amounts of data and correlations between that data that allow it to make decisions based on statistical accuracy. How do you think they will acquire that data?

Remember Dr. Mengele? Yeah. That is what is going to happen to people. Why? Because they don't believe in consequences. They don't believe in the words of Jesus Christ.

But this is what YOU wanted. YOU thought you were smarter than everyone else. Now YOU will receive the destiny that you desire.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Why is it sad?

Do you think turning the other cheek is sad? Do you realize that if every person in the US abided by the words of Christ that there would be no wars?

In reality, people are evil and selfish. Those same people who believe they are superior to others, like yourself, will suffer no consequences in their minds for the actions they take on civilization.

Remember Dr. Mengele? Yeah. That is what is going to happen to people. Why? Because they don't believe in consequences. They don't believe in the words of Jesus Christ.

But this is what YOU wanted. YOU thought you were smarter than everyone else. Now YOU will receive the destiny that you desire.

No, sorry I don't believe in a God that creates evil so he can then save us from it. And trying to scare people into believing a God who threathns to send people to hell is really immature. People are not evil.
Evil is a choice like good is a choice people have freewill to decide which path they will walk there is no Satan making them do evil. Save the scare tactics for Sunday school.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:24 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,141,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
No there isn't. This is pure ignorance. The Gospel is the same.

But the Gospel is not the same within Christian sects. You have differing interpretations of the gospels thus differing points of view and even diverging scriptures.

There is a reason why it is better to have a secular government in a nation of diverse religious beliefs. That way no one religion will feel another is getting represented to the detriment of another. Which is the very reason the early settlers came here in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies