Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgs0fRSIJmk

As a Colorado native, I avoid Five Points myself and don't understand why any business would want to bother with the area.

It has nothing to do with the demographics but I know how rough of a neighborhood it is. Hillarious, how they put a yuppie coffee shop that looks like it belongs in Aspen or Boulder and act surprised that the coffee shop is riddled with graffiti.

So many yuppies swarming into these extremely rough areas that don't really want the diversity they claim to offer and then they are surprised when stuff like this happens.

Seems to be a common in Denver for rich, millennial utopian rainbow and unicorn yuppies who aren't familiar with Denver to swarm very rough neighborhoods like this one.

The area only has 13,000 people but yet has 3 times the violent rate of Compton and the neighborhood has a similar homicide rate to Detroit with already 5 homicides this year.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/da.../17fivepts.pdf

It always surprises me when rich yuppie liberals open up businesses in these areas and don't understand of the roughness of the area.

It is odd how many utopian-loving rich, white liberals will randomly move to very high-crime areas that have a different demographic and think they will be given a hero's welcome.

Denver is full of out of town yuppie liberals moving in thinking it is a rich resort town with no bad neighborhoods. Always interesting when liberals pay half a million dollars for a small brick home in a very rough neighborhood like Whittier or Cole in Denver and then they start whining to the news media that the neighborhood is very crime-ridden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Gentrification and safety are 2 separate issues. Don't really understand your point, other than to expect crime in high crime areas. With that said, everybody deserves safety.

What's more frustrating to me is the "white liberals" who won't address the root causes of crime. And continue to push neo-liberal and failed democratic policies. The "black liberals" who fall in that category I feel the same way about. And any other race.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,547 times
And so it begins... The property was likely cheap. Unless the place burns to the ground its just the first taste of what is to come.
  • Lots of old cheap storefronts <check>
  • Older run down housing stock with "good bones" <check>
  • A community with out a lot of economic opportunity generated within <check>.

Congratulations you have just won the gentrification lottery.

Ok now first we get all these low lifes outta here and fix up these buildings ................

Old 11-28-2017, 07:12 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Well, at one point I actually looked at buying a house in the Highland section of Denver (not Highlands Ranch) which is right next to Five Points. It was being gentrified back when I lived there ten or so years ago. I decided against it, as I didn't want to deal with all the issues previously posted.

I loved the woman with the goofy sunglasses in the youtube vid. So typical.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
SO some racists vandalized a coffee shop, and some other racists who think they should have some undue influence over property they do not own, hate "gentrification" because that means that their criminal ways will eventually be clamped down on and driven out.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:18 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Is the graffiti being investigated by police as a hate crime?

Old 11-28-2017, 07:18 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
The criminal element in five points should be celebrating these liberals moving in. They can now rob and murder people that actually might have some money or property worth the robbery.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:26 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
I don't think the OP understands what happened here. I do think it was insensitive of the coffee shop to put that sign up - even if true. This vandalism was a response to a sign and not that it is a crime ridden area. OP, try to look at the world with a more open mind and it might make more sense. Cheers.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
SO some racists vandalized a coffee shop, and some other racists who think they should have some undue influence over property they do not own, hate "gentrification" because that means that their criminal ways will eventually be clamped down on and driven out.
I wouldn't equate poverty with crime. It's not mostly criminals complaining about gentrification, there are a lot of people who simply don't make a lot of money who want to stay in certain neighborhoods.

The sad reality is we need ALL jobs and somebody has to fill those low paying jobs as well.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:16 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
The very people that complain about being poor, about poverty-are the same ones driving businesses and opportunity out of the neighborhood. Most are too frickin' stupid to figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies