Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,556,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ha! The day that MJJersey admits that pot does not cause people to eat faces off is the day I will celebrate an incredible victory in the war against The War on Pot.

I often wonder how many of the Reefer Madness crowd take things like legal opioids, Prozac, Xanax, etc. and/or lie down at night after popping an Ambien while patting themselves on the back for not taking drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:18 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,745,800 times
I certainly agree with the intentions behind this program. Let's see how it plays out. At the very least, I believe these people deserve to have their marijuana infractions wiped from their criminal record.

Personally I don't think mere possession of any drug should be criminalized. However, I say that with a few caveats. I believe certain dangerous drugs (heroin for example) should be criminalized, but only possession of a certain quantity - so we can catch dealers.

The mere drug user shouldn't face criminal penalties. The proper solution to drug addiction is treatment, not punishment. However, we should be targeting the actual dealers of dangerous drugs.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,905,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why should your life be ruined for catching a buzz? -would your life be ruined for not paying the rego?

If you were required to become a member of a religion, because it was the law, would you do so? -or would you consider that that was your decision to make, and your decision alone?
The why isn't the question. Why should I work and pay taxes so that others can sit at home and live off my efforts? The fed does a lot of things that I find questionable. I weigh the consequences and make a choice.
Why should I buy a fishing license if I never fish in public waters? Yet in my state I must have a license even to fish in a private pond.
Why should I have to buy a hunting license to hunt deer on my own property? Have a choice. Hunt without said license and maybe get caught or buy the damned license.
The religion question. Apples to oranges. But okay I'll play. I won't live where religion is imposed. I would move.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,338,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
The proper solution to drug addiction is treatment, not punishment. However, we should be targeting the actual dealers of dangerous drugs.
I certainly agree with the first part of your statement. The second part is how the majority feel too, because it seems intuitive.

But we have been targeting dealers for over 40 years. It is called the War on Drugs. It very obviously isn't working. Why not consider a different approach? Other countries have done so and have met with considerable success.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 AM

68,353 posts, read 54,556,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post

The mere drug user shouldn't face criminal penalties. The proper solution to drug addiction is treatment, not punishment. However, we should be targeting the actual dealers of dangerous drugs.

Which has nothing to do with cannabis, the subject of this thread.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,766,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The why isn't the question. Why should I work and pay taxes so that others can sit at home and live off my efforts? The fed does a lot of things that I find questionable. I weigh the consequences and make a choice.
Why should I buy a fishing license if I never fish in public waters? Yet in my state I must have a license even to fish in a private pond.
Why should I have to buy a hunting license to hunt deer on my own property? Have a choice. Hunt without said license and maybe get caught or buy the damned license.
The religion question. Apples to oranges. But okay I'll play. I won't live where religion is imposed. I would move.
All of your examples are of things external to yourself, while the drug issue is about sovereignty of your own mid and body.

The result of so much propaganda over the years, is that some start to think the mind is just another piece of property, to be regulated by the State.

Say you aren't able to move away from where the compulsory religion law is -are you just going to follow the law?

Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Have you ever heard of civil disobedience? With laws as unjust and frankly, insane, as our pot laws are millions have been breaking them for well over 50 years. There are times when civil disobedience is called for. That statement is coming from a 61 year old conservative.

25,000,000 people per month use cannabis. Are you saying we all belong in jail?

This is less than 4 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texEvnmciy4
LOL are you saying people arrested for pot were only doing it as a form of civil disobedience? I think not. They did it because they like the buzz and didn't care what the law is. They did it because they felt chances were slim that they would be caught and they took the chance.

Now dealers on the other hand absolutely didn't sell as a demonstration of civil disobedience. They sold for profit plain and simple. The majority of which were most likely selling other illegal drugs as well.

Im not saying any of you belong in jail. I'm saying that if you knowingly break the law, regardless of your belief in said law, then you also accept the consequences. I personally could not care less who smokes weed. I also don't care who gets arrested for it. It was a choice.
I like to have a good beer. I am in fact a beer snob. I never drink and drive. Not even 1 beer. I could easily drive after a few and chances are never get busted. I live in the sticks after all and so do my friends. That said, there is always the chance of hitting a deer and rolling my vehicle or something. Sheet happens right? I choose not to risk my future for a beer no matter how good it is.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:32 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,629,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Sorry, I meant urine test. If you're hungover, are you under the influence? See, you can smoke pot til the cows come home the night before you have to work & it will have no bearing on your ability to do your job. No hangover, nothing. Alcohol, totally different story. Yet, they drug test for pot, not alcohol. That makes literally no sense, does it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Many tests don't find the actual substance, they find metabolites of that substance which don't put you under the influence. About time to give up the Reefer Madness nonsense, eh?
You are still under the influence if you test positive. The substance is still in your system and that's why you still show metabolites. It's still being broken down. Science is science. I have said before that I would have no issue with legal pot as long as addicts agree not to drive or work while it's in their system and get special insurance and drug-related health care visits. But of course they'll never do that. It's too responsible. You also need a special monitoring bracelet so the police can find you quickly in case you go mad like the people who attacked others while high.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
All of your examples are of things external to yourself, while the drug issue is about sovereignty of your own mid and body.

The result of so much propaganda over the years, is that some start to think the mind is just another piece of property, to be regulated by the State.

Say you aren't able to move away from where the compulsory religion law is -are you just going to follow the law?
Wow a lot of maybes. So why stop at weed. By your standards all drugs no matter how vile should be legal. Maybe that is your point?
Yet many who would say that all drugs should be legal, those on the left, also seek to control my right to own a firearm. They are also the ones who feel that I should be separated from as much of my earnings as they can take.
Until we become communist China, North Korea or some other crap hole, I will always have the right to move away.
Now do I have the right to go to any other country? NO. they all have their own laws. I would be required to meet their minimum standards. In my case, that's every country that I am interested in.

As I said before, I am not opposed to people smoking weed. I am not opposed to people worshipping statues of cow feces either. I am also not opposed to people facing the consequences for their own decisions. I am opposed to footing the bill, which is why I am opposed to laws against smoking weed. There are much bigger fish to fry than weed heads. Meth heads for example.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:40 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,338,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL are you saying people arrested for pot were only doing it as a form of civil disobedience? I think not. They did it because they like the buzz and didn't care what the law is. They did it because they felt chances were slim that they would be caught and they took the chance.

Now dealers on the other hand absolutely didn't sell as a demonstration of civil disobedience. They sold for profit plain and simple. The majority of which were most likely selling other illegal drugs as well.

Im not saying any of you belong in jail. I'm saying that if you knowingly break the law, regardless of your belief in said law, then you also accept the consequences. I personally could not care less who smokes weed. I also don't care who gets arrested for it. It was a choice.
I like to have a good beer. I am in fact a beer snob. I never drink and drive. Not even 1 beer. I could easily drive after a few and chances are never get busted. I live in the sticks after all and so do my friends. That said, there is always the chance of hitting a deer and rolling my vehicle or something. Sheet happens right? I choose not to risk my future for a beer no matter how good it is.
Ok, I respect your position, except for the part about not caring who gets arrested for using pot. Not only is that pretty heartless, but the cost of the War on Pot is affecting you more than you think it is. Just the cost of maintaining such a large prison population is HUGE (YUGE?).

Alcohol is much more damaging than pot, on many levels. All it would have taken is for our European ancestors to have adopted pot instead of alcohol as their drug of choice. Then we would be living in a country where pot was perfectly legal and accepted, but alcohol would be illegal, a scourge, and the people who used it would be stigmatized. Then if beer was "your thing" I doubt you'd be whistling the same tune and not caring how many people were being jailed for possessing beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies