Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 01:17 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,336,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Doubt there are many or any pot users in CA jails lol .

They have been letting tons of criminals out in CA . Many crimes are no longer even really crimes.

Find me the guy in jail in CA that's just there for "smoking a joint"

*crickets*
Well, I admit I don't know much about California jails. However, I can do some speculation based on my knowledge of other state's jails and law enforcement agencies.

Law enforcement loves illegal pot, no matter the amount, because it allows them to exercise control over those they don't like. California LEOs are no different in that regard. Pot became legal there only recently. So I have to believe there are many in jail there because an individual LEO did not like them for whatever reason, with a simple marijuana violation being their only conviction. If I am not mistaken, those are the exact people targeted for help by this program that you find so ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 02:26 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,743,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I certainly agree with the first part of your statement. The second part is how the majority feel too, because it seems intuitive.

But we have been targeting dealers for over 40 years. It is called the War on Drugs. It very obviously isn't working. Why not consider a different approach? Other countries have done so and have met with considerable success.
I agree with you, the War on Drugs has been an utter failure and destroyed many families and communities. I'd be open to full decriminalization as well. I'm glad you called me out, I agree it's very difficult to get past that intuitive feeling that we need to go after someone. I'm just trying to strike a middle ground, between protecting addicts and recreational users, and going after the people that are responsible for distribution of dangerous drugs.

But perhaps the best solution is to just let people live how they want to live, and not have any criminal penalties whatsoever with possession of even dangerous drugs like heroin. Put money into treatment programs for addiction, and let greater police resources be devoted to violent crimes. If violent crimes are committed in relation to drug trade, well let them be investigated as they would any other violent crime.

In reply to burdell, I'm surprised you gave me pushback as to the relevancy of my post, as it's at the very least tangentially related to this topic, and the first part of it I used to opine on LA's program.

Now, to get back more to directly addressing the original topic, I think it makes a lot of sense to remove any criminal stain of past convictions for marijuana use in California, where it's legal. It is far more productive to have people that will be more employable and able to productively contribute to society than to be forced to suck up economic resources either in jail or on unemployment benefits and food stamps due to their unemployability. This program, where these people with convictions will receive help to work in the cannabis industry, is a very cool idea.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,509,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Well, I admit I don't know much about California jails. However, I can do some speculation based on my knowledge of other state's jails and law enforcement agencies.

Law enforcement loves illegal pot, no matter the amount, because it allows them to exercise control over those they don't like. California LEOs are no different in that regard. Pot became legal there only recently. So I have to believe there are many in jail there because an individual LEO did not like them for whatever reason, with a simple marijuana violation being their only conviction. If I am not mistaken, those are the exact people targeted for help by this program that you find so ridiculous.
Medical marijuana became legal 1996.. so over 20 years ago !

Anybody with $50 or less could get marijuana with a "doctors recommendation "

There are doctors that specialize in this ..it's a cottage industry .

Old 12-04-2017, 03:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,509,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I agree with you, the War on Drugs has been an utter failure and destroyed many families and communities. I'd be open to full decriminalization as well. I'm glad you called me out, I agree it's very difficult to get past that intuitive feeling that we need to go after someone. I'm just trying to strike a middle ground, between protecting addicts and recreational users, and going after the people that are responsible for distribution of dangerous drugs.

But perhaps the best solution is to just let people live how they want to live, and not have any criminal penalties whatsoever with possession of even dangerous drugs like heroin. Put money into treatment programs for addiction, and let greater police resources be devoted to violent crimes. If violent crimes are committed in relation to drug trade, well let them be investigated as they would any other violent crime.

In reply to burdell, I'm surprised you gave me pushback as to the relevancy of my post, as it's at the very least tangentially related to this topic, and the first part of it I used to opine on LA's program.

Now, to get back more to directly addressing the original topic, I think it makes a lot of sense to remove any criminal stain of past convictions for marijuana use in California, where it's legal. It is far more productive to have people that will be more employable and able to productively contribute to society than to be forced to suck up economic resources either in jail or on unemployment benefits and food stamps due to their unemployability. This program, where these people with convictions will receive help to work in the cannabis industry, is a very cool idea.
Incentives to work in it maybe .. but not to give out loans for them to open up their own stores

Old 12-04-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Medical marijuana became legal 1996.. so over 20 years ago !

Anybody with $50 or less could get marijuana with a "doctors recommendation "

There are doctors that specialize in this ..it's a cottage industry .
I don't disagree with you. But that isn't the point.

You said earlier: "Marijuana has been pretty much legal for many years in CA through medical marijuana". It's the "pretty much" part that is the crux of the problem. Until recently, it was still illegal. That means if caught with some, it was up to the law enforcement officer's discretion as to ruin that person's life or not. It has happened 1000's of times daily all across California during routine traffic stops.

I agree that the majority of the time the person was let go, probably after having the pot confiscated. But even if only 1% of the time the officer decided to arrest the person (for race, a dirty look, a past encounter, whatever), we are still talking about thousands of people every year that got ensnared by these "pretty much legal" pot laws.

Isn't that whom this program is meant to help?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Nothing like rewarding people for bad behavior
Even if pot is illegal, the punishment should fit the crime. Many of our past (and current) cannabis laws are too harsh, the equivalent of throwing people in prison for jaywalking.

Prosecuting it in such a way that impacts peoples' ability to find future employment is both dumb from an economics standpoint, immoral from a morality standpoint, and short-sighted from a criminal justice standpoint.

Old 12-04-2017, 03:59 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,257,687 times
Stoners just want to get stoned.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:01 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Exactly.

Big Government shouldn't prohibit people from doing what they love, in their free time. It's unamerican.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Well of course! This thread wouldn't be complete without you inserting your mantra.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,816,937 times
Why is it that people find weed to be a bigger deal than I do? I hate the stuff as a HSP so I'm someone who should want it banned but yet somehow I'm capable of live and let live.

Okay I'm sure it disorients the mind but that's the user's problem not mine. They're going to do it anyway even if you make it illegal. While I love the bigger chance I have in careers as a non drug user, I don't believe in making it illegal because there are far worse things.

If you're going to care about weed care about pharmaceutical drugs too they do way worse to the body and we are practically forced to take them. No one's going to prescribe me a blunt if I don't want it. That's what I think makes me angry about this. Doctors prescribe toxins every day but you don't even bat an eyelid over it. You take that aspirin like candy but you harp over something that hasn't killed anybody. How many people have died smoking weed? On the other hand how many people have died over pharmaceuticals?

However if you want to, make them pay a fine but don't jail people for it because that wastes our money doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies