Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 04:46 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I've done a couple of topics concerning reparations. Even though I've been asked who would qualify for reparations today, I haven't done a topic dedicated to that inquiry. So here are the qualifications for those who would receive reparations for slavery and Jim Crow.

(Important to note: Don't take one qualification and base your comments around it. One must pass all qualifications in order to receive and take part in reparations. Also, this is my take on what the qualifications would be)

Qualification 1:

You must be a descendant of the US American slaves. So anyone who comes from Haiti, Jamaica, and all other black or African immigrants would not meet this standard.

Qualification 2:

You must have one parent who identifies as black, and they are a descendant of the American slaves.

Qualification 3:

If you are bi-racial (white/black, asian/black, latino/black etc.), you have to have been self identified as black since the age of 21. For example if you filled out any application, you had to have checked the black/African American box alone since you've been 21. If you're younger than 21, you qualify for reparations.

So those are my qualifications. Tell me your thoughts, and remember, one must meet all three qualifications. Some might consider qualification 3 to be confusing. In other words someone like Tiger Woods and Meghan Markle who identifies as mixed race, wouldn't qualify. Also, Obama wouldn't qualify based on qualification 1, so don't make any dumb comments with his name.

Sophomoric weaksauce if I have ever read it.
Why on earth would any descendant of people 150 years ago be entitled to anything, much less reparations?
Another group you seem to leave out is all the white people who fought and died freeing the slaves. By your thinking, shouldn't their ancestors be able to collect money for having given the ultimate sacrifice, in an effort to abolish slavery?

Then of course, where is this magical pot of money for so called reparations suppose to come from?
If your thinking the Lucky Charm Leprechaun, he is notoriously tough to catch and always has his pot of gold hidden well.

No, presumably you want the money to come from white working people, but the sins of the father are not suppose to carry over to the son (or in this case the great-great-great-great-great grandson).
Additionally, many white people had not even immigrated to American until after slavery, and many in the north and out west never owned slaves.
So who would be supposedly responsible for paying, and would it be based on their skin color alone?
I hate to break it to you, but blacks also kept slaves.
Heck, that is not even counting the Irish some of which were slaves and/or indentured servants. What happens with their ancestors, they get reparations, but then must give them back to pay blacks?

Welcome to 2018, not the mid 1800's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 04:50 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I've done a couple of topics concerning reparations. Even though I've been asked who would qualify for reparations today, I haven't done a topic dedicated to that inquiry. So here are the qualifications for those who would receive reparations for slavery and Jim Crow.

(Important to note: Don't take one qualification and base your comments around it. One must pass all qualifications in order to receive and take part in reparations. Also, this is my take on what the qualifications would be)

Qualification 1:

You must be a descendant of the US American slaves. So anyone who comes from Haiti, Jamaica, and all other black or African immigrants would not meet this standard.

Qualification 2:

You must have one parent who identifies as black, and they are a descendant of the American slaves.

Qualification 3:

If you are bi-racial (white/black, asian/black, latino/black etc.), you have to have been self identified as black since the age of 21. For example if you filled out any application, you had to have checked the black/African American box alone since you've been 21. If you're younger than 21, you qualify for reparations.

So those are my qualifications. Tell me your thoughts, and remember, one must meet all three qualifications. Some might consider qualification 3 to be confusing. In other words someone like Tiger Woods and Meghan Markle who identifies as mixed race, wouldn't qualify. Also, Obama wouldn't qualify based on qualification 1, so don't make any dumb comments with his name.
At least one of my direct ancestors and his family was kicked out of Ohio, Missouri and Illinois by the government and then forced to walk across the plains to the ass-end of nowhere to plow sagebrush and not be able to buy liquor in a grocery store like the rest of the civilized world just because he wanted to wear funny underwear and have more than one wife.

Where's MY reparations.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
I feel like a lot of groups would qualify depending on how the basis for reparations is framed, and not just minority groups, consider what many white ethnic groups through. The Irish were treated horribly by many of the Anglo ruling classes. German Americans were shunned and had their businesses stolen in many cases around World War I, even though Germans contributed to the war effort (such as William Boeing) and culpability for the war rests on the Allies, and on America's questionable late entry, as much anything else. French-Americans in Louisiana and Maine got lousy treatment. The list could really go on, and on.
To guilt ridden liberals, only blacks can be victims of bigotry, predudice, racism, etc.
It is only a one way street.
Hence when a black is a victim at the hands of a white person (totally unrelated to race), there might be a racial component.
But if a white person is a victim of a black, even if the black used racially charged words like cracker, honky and the like, it was just a standard crime, not a "hate crime".

That is the way the PC left operates, and with their complicit brothers in the media, it helps to perpetuate the false narrative.
Heck, even if you objected to a Obama policy, the left tried to play the race card, regardless of the fact conservatives would have objected to it, even if the president was lily white.

`

Old 08-03-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
At least one of my direct ancestors and his family was kicked out of Ohio, Missouri and Illinois by the government and then forced to walk across the plains to the ass-end of nowhere to plow sagebrush and not be able to buy liquor in a grocery store like the rest of the civilized world just because he wanted to wear funny underwear and have more than one wife.

Where's MY reparations.
NO REPARATIONS FOR YOU! (said in soup Nazi voice)
`

Read my posts above to see why.

`

Old 08-03-2018, 05:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I'm claiming dispensation. My peeps weren't even here.

So when the bill comes due, I'm out!

Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
The OP seems like something a 14 year old would come up with for sociology class.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm claiming dispensation. My peeps weren't even here.

So when the bill comes due, I'm out!
Indeed, as none of my relatives (at least the ones I know about) were slave owners. If anything we were an important part of the union fighting against the confederates. So don't ask me or my relatives/family to pay a plug nickle for any reparation schemes.

BTW OP - What purpose would reparations serve in today's day and age anyway

It seems to me that it might ease the conscious of the self loathing white liberals, but will have no tangible effect.
Any monies paid out to blacks are not going to change things in their economic lives, thus it seems like an effort in futility, just to ease certain afflicted peoples minds.

Heck to many of us who see beyond the liberal agenda, we have paid over a trillion dollars for the complete failure of the "Great Society" which was cynically directed towards blacks in an effort to garner votes for LBJ and the Democrats.
Never forget he infamously said "I'll have those n iggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years".
While he was sadly correct for 60 of the projected 200 years, many black people have woken up to the history of the Democrats. They have rediscovered the Republicans who don't believe in handouts, but were the ones who freed the slaves, and have fought for equal (not special) treatment of all American citizens.

This video explains it well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVXSjNH8aH4

`

Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Only German and Japanese Americans are entitled to "reparations" for being forced into camps and their homes and businesses ruined by the Federal government by FDR.
Actually, the slaves held by the Germans and Japanese during WWII are entitled to "reparations".

However, thanks to President Clinton the five years my parents were held as slaves by the Germans are viewed as a "gift of labor" to the Germans!!!

They died without a penny from Germany for the five years being held as slaves. Even the Germans were willing to pay something, but President Clinton thought otherwise.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Then after that the white male is next as long as he is straight. That's where the new oppression is

Old 08-03-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Actually, the slaves held by the Germans and Japanese during WWII are entitled to "reparations".

However, thanks to President Clinton the five years my parents were held as slaves by the Germans are viewed as a "gift of labor" to the Germans!!!

They died without a penny from Germany for the five years being held as slaves. Even the Germans were willing to pay something, but President Clinton thought otherwise.
WTH?

How did this tidbit fly under the radar?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies