Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:50 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Republican way.
The way to get voted out of power. Repubs always have been their own worst enemy I see nothing has changed.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:59 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The seniors already on medicare will not be affected. Just another version of "I got mine".
The Boomers put their expenses on the credit card that the rest of us will have to pay off. Why am I not surprised?

Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
I think Obama took 600 billion out of Medicare to fund Obama-care a few years ago.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The military isn't bankrupting the country, heath care and retirement spending is. Military is 15% of the federal budget, health care is 31%, and social security is 24%. So it's the latter two that need to be cut drastically.
Oh really? Last I checked, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cost TRILLIONS of dollars.

Gotta love America, got money for wars but can't feed our poor.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:13 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The Boomers put their expenses on the credit card that the rest of us will have to pay off. Why am I not surprised?
That is why the partisan red state blue state stuff is a massive con. It is actually a generational battle politically both financially and culturally. Trump is the pinnacle of a plan to keep younger voters split between two parties so the Boomers maintain their power and cash flow. If millenials and gen x united to fight changes to SS and Medicare across parties, Congress would have to adjust strategy.

Like clockwork we always seem to end up every 4 years with candidates designed to keep the squabbling at a fever pitch and the sides trade turns doing performance art while serving the same corporations and donor class.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I think Obama took 600 billion out of Medicare to fund Obama-care a few years ago.
Slightly deceptive statement. It reduced future increases in medicare spending, but not the benefits. Those savings came at the expense of hospitals and insurers, not beneficiaries. But we all know there is no free lunch. Those savings will come out of higher hospital and insurance costs, but were relatively minor.

Also a nice case of what aboutism, and distraction.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:29 PM

993 posts, read 767,151 times
Of course we should give the big boys their tax cuts, and hope for sustained growth of 3% over the next decade, which would make 16 years of continuous expansion. Hey, it could happen.

And then, as Paul Ryan announced today, we'll spend 2018 cutting Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Let them eat "cake" (the bread dough that lined the old French bread ovens), because by then, the poor and the middle class won't have any fight left in them at all.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Future beneficiaries, folks, FUTURE beneficiaries...

Stop with the histrionics.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:48 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

What histrionics? The thread is laced with comments on how future generations will be affected. Namely, the one directly above yours.

Further, why are we not supposed to care about the future generations? Your comment reeks of "I got mine."

Most of the posters on this thread are not beneficiaries of either SS or Medicare at this time. Those who are KNOW they will be affected the least - although draconian cuts to Medicare will certainly result in a loss of providers. This has been the case in certain areas of the country for a while now. As it is, Medicare reimbursements are too low, some docs won't take Medicare patients. Further cuts or refusal to raise Medicare reimbursements will only exacerbate the problem.

As stated above, voucherizing Medicare (Paul Ryan's wet dream) will result in very large numbers of retirees with no health insurance at all. The working class is getting poorer - wages haven't risen in 30 years. If SS benefits are lowered and Medicare is more expensive/unaffordable, poverty for future elderly is the obvious result.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-06-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 06:49 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

How is that better? Why should today's seniors receive benefits and tomorrow's seniors not? Why should - in 1965 - the first people benefit with no contribution, then it goes on since then and then future seniors be penalized because Republicans decided the wealth and corporations were more important to them? Should the 70 year olds go get jobs? Should the 70 year olds try to buy health care policies on the open market? What happened to Trump's often repeated promise not to touch Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security? Just a lie to get elected because he told voters he was a "different kind of Republican"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies