Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

I agree with the general sentiment that it would have been reasonable for the Republican-controlled Congress to 1) reform Medicare and Medicaid first; then 2) formulate tax reform. All they have done is given the Democrats and Bernie Sanders a nice, large bat to bludgeon them. However, the 'big party donors' demanded, apparently, the tax cut first, and the Party obeys.

I would hazard a prediction that when Mr. Ryan speaks of '2018', he means after the mid-term elections.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:56 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Ryan pledges 'entitlement reform' in 2018 | TheHill

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Wednesday said House Republicans will aim to cut spending on Medicare, Medicaid and welfare programs next year as a way to trim the federal deficit.

“We’re going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Ryan said during an interview on Ross Kaminsky's talk radio show.

Health-care entitlements such as Medicare and Medicaid “are the big drivers of debt,” Ryan said, “so we spend more time on the health care entitlements, because that's really where the problem lies, fiscally speaking."

Ryan said he’s been speaking privately with President Trump, who is beginning to warm to the idea of slowing the spending growth in entitlements

But billionaires and investment banks needed tax cuts, right?
With ALL the waste, fraud and abuse in these problems I'm for it.

"But billionaires and investment banks needed tax cuts, right?"

Only a liberal would NOT want to cut the taxes of those that ALREADY pay about 80% of ALL taxes collected.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Medicare isn't free government healthcare. We have been paying for Medicare via deductions from our paychecks for our entire working life. We paid plenty for Medicare.
WRONG!

What you "paid" for is Medicare part "A" ONLY and you are getting what it pays for.

I am constantly AMAZED at how little some know then try to prove to the rest of us how smart they are.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Congress has no right to cut social security. It is NOT an entitlement. Me and everyone who has worked has paid into those programs. They gutted social security years ago to pay for their useless wars and tax cuts for the wealthy. It's unconscionable. I guarantee you that you are not near retirement age nor do you need healthcare because you wouldn't be so cavalier about it.
"Congress has no right to cut social security."

"You can fool SOME of the peopleALL of the time"

Show us something, ANYTHING to back up your claim that Congress has "no right" to cut SS.

Congress CREATED SS, in case you didn't know.

"They gutted social security years ago to pay for their useless wars"

That was NOT Congress, it was LBJ.

"I guarantee you that you are not near retirement age"

Would you like to make a bet?

I have been retired for 11 years.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Good for you. I too, planned for my future and am fine. Doesn't make their cutting social security, Medicare and Medicaid to pay for the rich right. The rich don't have enough I guess. And don't tell me corporate tax cuts are going to go to anyone but the CEOs and shareholders. I didn't fall off of a turnip truck.
" I didn't fall off of a turnip truck."

Maybe not but, you sure act jealous of others successes.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Social Security and Medicare are also bringing money IN. It's not like they are only spending on it.

Working people are getting payroll deductions that are sent to the federal government for Social Security and Medicare - 15% of each person's paycheck is going toward Medicare and Social Security. For our entire working life we are paying that money into the Fed Goverment coffers.

15% budget for Military is triple what other countries pay.

Our Social Security and Medicare don't need to be cut. That "tax cut for billionaires" needs to be stopped. That's bankrupting the country because they are giving billionaire's tax cuts but it's just created a massive budget shortfall. The GOP is trying to give those billionaires tax cuts on the backs of the middle class but cutting our Medicare and Social Security when we are elderly. They'll put a lot of retirees into the poor house -retirees that were previously going to do OK. But with these cuts, they'll be in the poor house.
"15% budget for Military is triple what other countries pay."

And without it we might be speaking German or Japanese or Russian.

There is NO interest like SELF interest"!

"That "tax cut for billionaires" needs to be stopped."

What need to be stopped, is talk like this by people who haven't a CLUE where taxes com from and how an economy works.

Those that PAY the most get a cut.

I know that is a hard concept for some to understand.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:18 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,795 times
Quote:
Right. What the GOP doesn't even think about is that all those social security, Medicare and Medicaid recipients vote.
Yeah, they do vote. But many of them also sit in front of the TV watching Faux News all day. So they're not necessarily going to vote in favor of their own best interests.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:27 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
With ALL the waste, fraud and abuse in these problems I'm for it.

"But billionaires and investment banks needed tax cuts, right?"

Only a liberal would NOT want to cut the taxes of those that ALREADY pay about 80% of ALL taxes collected.
Rational people desire a functional government no matter their political leanings.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Congress has no right to cut social security. It is NOT an entitlement. Me and everyone who has worked has paid into those programs. They gutted social security years ago to pay for their useless wars and tax cuts for the wealthy. It's unconscionable. I guarantee you that you are not near retirement age nor do you need healthcare because you wouldn't be so cavalier about it.
Social Security is Old Age Income Insurance and Medicare is Old Age Health Insurance. Congress can change the benefit plans anytime they want, provided the sitting POTUS is on board with it. SCOTUS ruled on this more than 50 years ago.

Then there's reality. 50 million US people will go after politicians with pitchforks if they try and touch their benefit.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Social Security is Old Age Income Insurance and Medicare is Old Age Health Insurance. Congress can change the benefit plans anytime they want, provided the sitting POTUS is on board with it. SCOTUS ruled on this more than 50 years ago.

Then there's reality. 50 million US people will go after politicians with pitchforks if they try and touch their benefit.
Who sells pitch forks? I'm buyin stock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies