Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
No, they should have the presumption of innocence, and the State should have to prove the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. What I'm saying is that the process is flawed. How can you have a prosecutor prosecute a cop that he has worked with for the past couple years without there being a conflict of interest? There should be a neutral special prosecutor that handles these cases.

Also, I am saying that all cops should have to wear body cams. By wearing body cams, it protects the cops from wrongful allegations of police brutality, and it protects the suspect when police brutality has actually occurred. Video is much more reliable than eyewitness testimony.
^^^^^^^^This x 99999999999999999.

Off button controlled by HQ only allowed by HQ and when cop is verified taking a dump.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You say that with a straight face, even knowing this cop shot an unarmed man five times in the back? Where in that is any indication that Slager was the kind of cop who would have acted appropriately under any circumstance?

His actions showed him to be a bad cop. Blaming the victim doesn't change the fact that this cop shot an unarmed man numerous times in the back for the high crime of having a broken tail light. There is nothing Scott did that justified that, no matter how hard you try to make it so.
There is nothing that Scott did to justify this, period. And I have no doubt many cops have done things like this have gotten away with it prior to mass use of video.

However, Slager was a cop for 5 years and his worse known offense prior was tasing without cause. The lesson to be learned from the general public is this:

-video everything. It's obvious why cops don't want this, but citizens need to fight for this right regardless of how hard cops push back.
-don't get into altercations with cops. Do everything they ask you to do, just don't admit guilt.The one you fight with or run from might be another Michael Slager and kill you. It's basic survival skill.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 PM

693 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This cop was rightfully convicted of murder

But not for nothing but if the perp complied and didn't run he wouldn't have ended up in a body bag

Zero personal responsibility these days

Cops shouldn't be shooting anyone that's unarmed and running away. Stop trying to pass the blame onto the victim.
Cops can shoot when they believe the perp poses a significant threat of bodily harm to others. There is zero justification to shooting someone in the back, running unarmed. He wasn't a threat to anyone. Do your effing job, and chase him down as you were trained.

The victim need not take any responsibility here, as he did NOTHING to justify getting shot.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Cops shouldn't be shooting anyone that's unarmed and running away. Stop trying to pass the blame onto the victim.
Cops can shoot when they believe the perp poses a significant threat of bodily harm to others. There is zero justification to shooting someone in the back, running unarmed. He wasn't a threat to anyone. Do your effing job, and chase him down as you were trained.

The victim need not take any responsibility here, as he did NOTHING to justify getting shot.
Not always true.

Additionally, cops only know someone is unarmed following a search.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There is nothing that Scott did to justify this, period. And I have no doubt many cops have done things like this have gotten away with it prior to mass use of video.

However, Slager was a cop for 5 years and his worse known offense prior was tasing without cause. The lesson to be learned from the general public is this:

-video everything. It's obvious why cops don't want this, but citizens need to fight for this right regardless of how hard cops push back.
-don't get into altercations with cops. Do everything they ask you to do, just don't admit guilt.The one you fight with or run from might be another Michael Slager and kill you. It's basic survival skill.
You say tasing without cause as if it is no big deal, but to me it's a clear indication of someone who should not be a cop. He basically attacked someone else for no reason other than that he could, so the signs were all there with this guy. It was just a matter of time.

Just one more reason why body cams should be mandatory and not under the control of the officers. Maybe if Slager had been pulled when he tased someone without cause Scott would be alive today.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
About time. No excuse tho I feel sorry for Slager's wife who has small children with him.
Why? She is not going to prison and can find another husband that probably won't murder someone. I would have divorced his ass the second I saw that video. Is a scumbag that would shoot someone in the back while they are running away the kind of person you want around your kids?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Juries likely were taking into account the fact that Scott had wrestled Slager to the ground. It is not relevant except for the degree of murder. (correct that it is 2nd not 1st) You cannot shoot a fleeing suspect.
Was the wrestling to the ground before or after they went to the prom?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Why? She is not going to prison and can find another husband that probably won't murder someone. I would have divorced his ass the second I saw that video. Is a scumbag that would shoot someone in the back while they are running away the kind of person you want around your kids?
Does burning the dinner only rate a smack upside the head?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No, I'm happier with this outcome. A quick death would be too easy and painless for him. Now he's got two decades of terror in front of him. A much more apt and fitting punishment.
That is another way of looking at it.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:18 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From our other conversation... trust the process. By the time it gets to the courts, it's in their hands. Most of the time, they get it right.

AND... notice there is very little objection from both sides of the aisle.
Notice how silent I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies