Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:56 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
How much tax payer money is wasted on policing the rest of the world using our military?
Without the military, we would be in labor camps ran by China, North Korea, or Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:06 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They lost the war. To the victor go the spoils.

Slam the door shut, the US is full.
The US is also old, and if it were not for immigration would be in the same boat as Europe; losing population.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:15 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
One of the primary jokes in regard to chain immigration is that it assumes that we are supposed to value these people as Americans. That is, when Bob's uncle from India arrives on a chain migration Visa (and later citizenship) he is automatically supposed to have political priority for us, as an American, over our cousins in Europe and elsewhere. Meanwhile, there is zero cultural nor any other link to Bob's uncle for us. He didn't even come here based on skill nor personal jeopardy.

In essence, the United States has been turned from a nation into a giant experiment in World Government, wherein no one has any meaningful national link but everyone abides by the same laws. Dissolve the culture and politically meaningful ethnic links, and borders melt away. That's the discussion that we should be having. That is, a discussion over the active methods to destroy any meaningful notion of nation as a means to dissolve the nation. Chain migration is a key method.
And will a percentage of these people.join any services to protect our country?
That is very important. People who will fight for their Country to protect it.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:22 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
But even the ines i know who came here on chain migration are against chain migration...
Successful integration story, that one. Wanting to pull up the ladder once you're safe in the lifeboat is a cherished American tradition.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:16 PM

10,468 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Without the military, we would be in labor camps ran by China, North Korea, or Russia.
I don't see how dragging the US into the Vietnam war, or bombing the hell out of the Middle East is keeping us safe from Russia, China or North Korea.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Some of my family members who wasn't born here came here legally. Why I have no empathy for illegals.
Right. For most of American history, there was no such thing as an illegal alien. If you wanted to go to America, you simply went to America.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:23 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So just because the Amerindians (who weren't native Americans) felt that way we should all adhere and comply to their beliefs in this modern day world? What makes their beliefs any more significant than ours?
No one said their beliefs are more significant than ours. Their beliefs are simply as valid as ours.

When my ancestors came here on the Mayflower, they acted in a way that they believed to be correct. But that was simply their viewpoint and not necessarily the viewpoint of those who opposed them. When I was deployed, my actions represented the viewpoint of this nation, but others on the ground had alternative viewpoints. What is right and wrong is in the eye of the beholder.

I know that not everyone attended college, but this stuff should really be taught in grade school.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:45 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
I understand the appeal of a merit-based immigration policy, but I do not believe it is a cure-all. The thing that disturbs me is the number of people who seem to believe that merit-based will somehow automatically protect us from terrorism. There is nothing to suggest that it will. Skills and ability are one thing; ideology is another.

If you want to argue for merit-based for economic reasons, go ahead, but let's not pretend that a highly educated, skilled radical is any less dangerous than a poorly educated, incompetent one (if anything, a talented individual with evil intent would be MORE dangerous), or that being educated, skilled, and intelligent is some kind of guarantee against radical beliefs.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:12 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I understand the appeal of a merit-based immigration policy, but I do not believe it is a cure-all. The thing that disturbs me is the number of people who seem to believe that merit-based will somehow automatically protect us from terrorism. There is nothing to suggest that it will. Skills and ability are one thing; ideology is another.

If you want to argue for merit-based for economic reasons, go ahead, but let's not pretend that a highly educated, skilled radical is any less dangerous than a poorly educated, incompetent one (if anything, a talented individual with evil intent would be MORE dangerous), or that being educated, skilled, and intelligent is some kind of guarantee against radical beliefs.
I think of chain migration like I think of the one question that appears on many resumes: Do you know anybody or are you related to anybody that works for our company. The inference is somebody, with a history at the company, will put the company first and only recommend people that they feel will work efficiently. The reality is that we are all human. We will recommend our friends and relatives only because they are friends and relatives and overlook their flaws. Once the people, we recommended, get hired; some will never give the company a 'fair days work for a fair day's pay' - some simply feel they can get away with anything because of the 'power' of their relatives/friends in the company.

The world is a dangerous place. There are many that hate us - sometimes justified and sometimes not. The average cost in 2012 to keep an inmate in prison was a little over $31,000/year. In 2015 it was estimated that we spent over $100 billion on terrorist investigations. Opening our doors to everybody is a bad idea. Of course we can still make mistakes; we can still have those already inside our Country that are turned to the 'dark side'. It is still prudent/wise to take a good long look at those that want to enter.

As far as protectionism; I still am having problems with automation and population control. I have seen so many predictions of automation poised to take one third of our jobs in the next decade. I have not heard one solid plan on how we are going to deal with losing so many of our jobs. We will not need more workers; we will need fewer workers. Eventually we will need a new economic system other than Capitalism. Other than China; no counties have ever really tried to keep population growth down and now China has given up on their two babies policy. The world will run out of natural resources even faster. These are major questions and cannot be left out of the discussion.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
How much tax payer money is wasted on policing the rest of the world using our military?
That's an apples to oranges argument. Just because we waste money in other areas does not justify chain migration, taking in refugees that have nothing of value to offer this nation, or very poor enforcement of our immigration laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies