Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:49 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have been a loyal and passionate Republican for decades. Yet I HATE this tax bill that just passed....all for completely different reasons that the Democrats have for not liking it.

By far my #1 reason I am against it is it doubled the child tax credit to $2000. This makes me so furious I will probably never vote Republican again for the rest of my life. It is extremely unfair to the childless or those with adult children. Let's say you have two relatively low paid workers..a childless person and a woman with 3 illegitimate kids. The mother will get $6000 which is between 3 months and a half a years worth of pay for a low paid worker. This is outrageous. If someone has kids great but they should pay everything...not the taxpayer.

Another reason I HATE this tax plan is it will add to to our already obscene national debt. It seems Republicans have completely given up on cutting spending. They don't want to come across as mean. Well running up our debt is mean because it is not sustainable and will eventually cause the collapse of our country. The #1 reason I have voted Republican all my life is I want draconian cuts in the social safety net for young able bodied people. But Republicans absolutely refuse to do this. If they are going to cut any program it will be Social security and Medicare.. which older people who are descriminated against in the workforce are dependent on for survival. Ironically Reps want to give welfare through the tax code to young people having lots of children but cut social services to old people which is by far their biggest voting block. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Another reason I am against the tax bill is that the corporate tax cuts will not lead to more hiring. I would have been enthusiastic if the bill rewarded companies with big tax breaks if (and only if) they create X amount of new American jobs. But there is nothing like this so instead most of the extra money will go to shareholders. Which leads me to another problem I have. One of the top reasons I voted for Trump is I wanted the stock market (and housing) bubbles to pop. This would cause some well needed price deflation and ease costs for the Trump voting base. Instead to my horror...the stock market is going through the roof which is mainly benefiting Hillary Clinton voting elitists.

So for these and other reasons I can no longer vote Republican. But as you can tell reading my opinions there is no home for me in the Democrat party either. So now my choices are to throw away my vote on some fringe third party or not vote at all.

Even if I disagree with Democrats on just about everything I appreciate their voices against the tax plan...so much so that I am cheering for them to take over the House and Senate. If they run a populist Bernie Sanders type in 2020 I might even consider voting Democrat for the first time. If they run anyone corporate/mainstream/third way or neolib I won't vote for them, especially if I hear the word "Russia" one time from them. This is unlikely so fringe party or not voting looks to be my future.
I'm hoping that there are a few million Republicans just like you in 2018 and 2020. One thing that I would like to add. If there is a recession it will be interesting to see how the deficit and debt will balloon up even from current estimates. We are overdue for an economic pull back, yet no one talks about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 12:11 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They are entitlements.
No, they're prepaid insurance benefits. If they were "entitlements," no one would have to pay FICA.

FICA = Federal INSURANCE Contributions Act.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:29 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country! View Post
If you listen to msm, they keep whining it's a tax cut for the rich, looks like everyone gets a piece of the pie.
OP, I think you'll like the tax cut.

Here's what's happening already.

1. Boeing said it would move forward with $300 million in investments as a result of the new tax law, including $100 million in employee training and education and $100 million to enhance Boeing facilities as part of its "workforce of the future" initiative. I think you'll love this cause it will indirectly contribute to your area. Just think of the flow and exchange of money in your area.

2. AT&T just announce they will give their employees bonuses raging from $1,000 to $200,00 in bonuses for its non-management workers.

3. Wells Fargo will raise it's minimum wage to $15/hr starting in March.
You really don't think these companies are just taking advantage of the PR opportunity to get Americans on board with this highly controversial tax bill, as well as position themselves as being "one of the good guys"?

All of these things can easily be reversed soon after they think the public has forgotten about it, if not reneged altogether.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Poor 'lil liberal baby. You didn't give a rat's arse when Obamacare was rammed down out throats without any Repub votes, were you?

So it makes it okay that Trump did it? Maybe Obama will jump off a bridge and Trump will follow.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You should not be getting a credit for kids. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em. Taxes should be higher for people with kids, not lower.
Exactly. I'm kind of surprised that the Republicans didn't see it this way.

But I guess when warm bodies are needed to continue funding the failing SS and Medicare, any will do...

Old 12-21-2017, 12:37 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
More like a "Yuge difference" given that Trump sized exaggeration.

Gutierrez says 'hundreds of Republican amendments' were a part of Obamacare | PolitiFact
It's more nuanced than what stupid Politifact, which caters to people who simply don't have the attention span to read for more than 15 minutes, can handle.

Quote:
At this point, I don't think it's well understood how many of the GOP's central health-care policy ideas have already been included as compromises in the health-care bill. But one good way is to look at the GOP's "Solutions for America" homepage, which lays out its health-care plan in some detail. It has four planks. All of them -- yes, you read that right -- are in the Senate health-care bill.

(1) "Let families and businesses buy health insurance across state lines." This is a long-running debate between liberals and conservatives. Currently, states regulate insurers. Liberals feel that's too weak and allows for too much variation, and they want federal regulation of insurers. Conservatives feel that states over-regulate insurers, and they want insurers to be able to cluster in the state with the least regulation and offer policies nationwide, much as credit card companies do today.

To the surprise and dismay of many liberals, the Senate health-care bill included a compromise with the conservative vision for insurance regulation. The relevant policy is in Section 1333, which allows the formation of interstate compacts. Under this provision, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, and Idaho (for instance) could agree to allow insurers based in any of those states to sell plans in all of them. This prevents a race to the bottom, as Idaho has to be comfortable with Arizona's regulations, and the policies have to have a minimum level of benefits (something that even Rep. Paul Ryan believes), but it's a lot closer to the conservative ideal.
All of the dummies screaming "let insurers sell insurance across state lines!!!" had no idea that the ACA already permits insurers to do this. It's right there in the law for all to read.

https://sites.google.com/site/health...ppaca-sec-1333
https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/ppacacon.pdf

This is why reading in-depth articles is so important. Sure, it takes longer reading a CNN headline, but such is life. You can't learn the entire history of America by reading a two page article.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:44 PM

32,109 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, they're prepaid insurance benefits. If they were "entitlements," no one would have to pay FICA.

FICA = Federal INSURANCE Contributions Act.
LOL. Okay, man. Let's take this one step at a time.

Quote:
Social Security is largely a pay-as-you-go program. This means that today's workers pay Social Security taxes into the program and money flows back out as monthly income to beneficiaries. As a pay-as-you-go system, Social Security differs from company pensions, which are “pre-funded.” In pre-funded retirement programs, the money is accumulated in advance so that it will be available to be paid out to today's workers when they retire. The private plans need to be funded in advance to protect employees in case the company enters bankruptcy or goes out of business.
https://www.nasi.org/learn/socialsecurity/overview

When you pay FICA taxes, there is no gigantic money pot it goes into. Let's revisit the trustworthy and super conservative Heritage Foundation to underscore this point.

Quote:
As political leaders debate how best to fix Social Security, many policymakers are focusing on the wrong issue. Their sole concern seems to be the date when the Social Security retirement and survivors trust fund will run out of its paper assets. This mistaken emphasis misses the fundamental point about Social Security's problems: There is no cash in the Social Security trust fund, and there never has been any.

The Social Security trust fund is merely an accounting device filled with IOUs that future taxpayers must repay.
Far too soon, payroll taxes will be insufficient to pay all of the promised benefits. Unless Congress promptly takes action, taxpayers will have to pump hundreds of billions of additional tax dollars into Social Security to pay the promised benefits.
Misleading the Public: How the Social Security Trust Fund Really Works | The Heritage Foundation

Ergo, there is no "trust fund" with money sitting in it that's going to run out some day. The government simply takes money from workers and hands it to retirees. It's a wealth transfer, plain and simple.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:44 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
I have been a loyal and passionate Republican for decades. Yet I HATE this tax bill that just passed....all for completely different reasons that the Democrats have for not liking it.

By far my #1 reason I am against it is it doubled the child tax credit to $2000. This makes me so furious I will probably never vote Republican again for the rest of my life. It is extremely unfair to the childless or those with adult children. Let's say you have two relatively low paid workers..a childless person and a woman with 3 illegitimate kids. The mother will get $6000 which is between 3 months and a half a years worth of pay for a low paid worker. This is outrageous. If someone has kids great but they should pay everything...not the taxpayer.

Another reason I HATE this tax plan is it will add to to our already obscene national debt. It seems Republicans have completely given up on cutting spending. They don't want to come across as mean. Well running up our debt is mean because it is not sustainable and will eventually cause the collapse of our country. The #1 reason I have voted Republican all my life is I want draconian cuts in the social safety net for young able bodied people. But Republicans absolutely refuse to do this. If they are going to cut any program it will be Social security and Medicare.. which older people who are descriminated against in the workforce are dependent on for survival. Ironically Reps want to give welfare through the tax code to young people having lots of children but cut social services to old people which is by far their biggest voting block. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Another reason I am against the tax bill is that the corporate tax cuts will not lead to more hiring. I would have been enthusiastic if the bill rewarded companies with big tax breaks if (and only if) they create X amount of new American jobs. But there is nothing like this so instead most of the extra money will go to shareholders. Which leads me to another problem I have. One of the top reasons I voted for Trump is I wanted the stock market (and housing) bubbles to pop. This would cause some well needed price deflation and ease costs for the Trump voting base. Instead to my horror...the stock market is going through the roof which is mainly benefiting Hillary Clinton voting elitists.

So for these and other reasons I can no longer vote Republican. But as you can tell reading my opinions there is no home for me in the Democrat party either. So now my choices are to throw away my vote on some fringe third party or not vote at all.

Even if I disagree with Democrats on just about everything I appreciate their voices against the tax plan...so much so that I am cheering for them to take over the House and Senate. If they run a populist Bernie Sanders type in 2020 I might even consider voting Democrat for the first time. If they run anyone corporate/mainstream/third way or neolib I won't vote for them, especially if I hear the word "Russia" one time from them. This is unlikely so fringe party or not voting looks to be my future.
You're still very much a republican. But essentially, you're just disappointed that the other republicans didn't put the screws hard enough to everyone else, to please you. The more ultra-rightists like you, who peel off into fringe groups and cancel any influence they might have, the better for all of us.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:57 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I agree it’s pathetic how these Republicans did this all without one Democrats feedback. I wonder how they are going to feel if the Democrats pull the same crap. Look a Susan Collins, bob corker and Marco Rubio. All said they would vote NO until they got bribed somehow and voted Yes. It’s shameful how these Republicans are behaving. It’s like they don’t care about debt. I guess they already know they are all going to be thrown out next election. Trump has them all jumping and the ones who were against him at first are now kissing up to him. Just pathetic.....
The Democrats stated from the beginning that they wanted nothing to do with the tax bill. They effectively recused themselves.

Second, the Democrats negotiated Obamacare in utter secrecy with no Republicans permitted to debate the matter. They set the precedent for unilateral policy discussions.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:59 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:

I feel much as you do, for many of the same reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies