Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 10:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Any retailer that has a store without cashiers will also have a store without products to sell. Neither concept will be successful. Creating opportunities for theft will increase expenses.
Not when big retailer has the technology to read every product it sells, no matter if it's in your cart, pocket, bag or down your pants.

This will take serious time to perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 10:14 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yet the labor participation rate continues to decline. Why is this?

This was forecasted in 2000 and yet haters blamed Obama. Trump campaigned on touting the rigged employment numbers. Yet here he is taking credit, ignoring labor participation rates and using the same methodologies.
Even at its peak it was only 67% and now it's 62%.

Why ? There are a number of factors according to various studies.
Disability (that is on the rise), lack of education, criminal records, etc.

Can't blame the person sitting in the Oval Office for the decline.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/socia...cipation-rate/

Old 12-22-2017, 10:22 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Any retailer that has a store without cashiers will also have a store without products to sell. Neither concept will be successful. Creating opportunities for theft will increase expenses.
Amazon Go is a cashier-less store. The technology is available and has been in testing for almost a year now.

There's a lot of software/hardware involved.
The Seattle store is in beta test with only Amazon employees shopping there for testing purposes.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ies-a-reality/

Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
The last Walmart that I was in had about 12 self checking aisles and 4 or 5 manned aisles. Lowe's and Home Depot are about 50/50, same with Kroger and Tom Thumb. I haven't seen any price differences, but I prefer self checkout because it's much faster. Whole Foods and World Market are the only places that don't have self check out, around here anyway.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:50 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,398 times
From the early 1990s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob532iEpqk

Old 12-22-2017, 10:52 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The last Walmart that I was in had about 12 self checking aisles and 4 or 5 manned aisles. Lowe's and Home Depot are about 50/50, same with Kroger and Tom Thumb. I haven't seen any price differences, but I prefer self checkout because it's much faster. Whole Foods and World Market are the only places that don't have self check out, around here anyway.
Whole Foods is a place I wish they did have them. It seems as though they train its cashiers to engage in conversation with customers while checking out, which leads to longer checkout times. I really dont want to waste time having a pretend conversation about the cheese Im buying.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
They can do that because of their high membership fees, and the warehouse style retailing allows them to have far fewer employees per area of the store compared to wallyworld. And it also helps that the stores are located primarily in affluent areas with a corresponding customer.

Face it, a lot of Walmarts are located in the ghetto where people even steal the toilet paper in the rest room.
Most Walmarts are located in suburbs and rural areas, not inner cities.

Anything not nailed down is stolen from retail operations, everywhere.

Costco rebates make the membership fee a non- issue.

One does not need to be a member to dine at Costco. They have not raised the price of their hot dog/ soda combo in 27 years. While I don't eat hot dogs, I can appreciate the value.

At the other end, Costco is the largest retailer of wine in the US. The in store Sommaliers maintain jaw dropping client lists who routinely drop $ thousands.

So you have your cheap eats and rare wines that sell for $$$$.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Costco pays a higher wage to its store personal then most of the others.
Indeed it does, especially to seasoned employees.

Benefits are also solid.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Uh, I am not paying for idiots too stupid to rise above MW jobs.
Did you ever consider tens of millions of people are doing the best they can with the cards they have been dealt ?

Old 12-22-2017, 12:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Meaning ...what, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies