Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 08:19 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

I don't see how this woman is a poster child for much of anything just because she's black.

Quote:
"But they couldn't breathe. They didn't have lungs. We got to hold them, talk to them. I could see them breathing. I could also see them stop breathing, you know."
They couldn't breathe, they had no lungs, but she could see them breathing?

A twin pregnancy is labeled high-risk to begin with. Second trimester she lost them? What week of? Why leave that out? I'm going to guess before the typical 20 week sonogram, for singletons, if she stayed on top of the health care for the twin pregnancy? Even earlier. The sonogram would have found the "missing lungs".

Quote:
She already had one son from a previous marriage, and that pregnancy was healthy and normal.
And this was before she was kicking ass at her job, working really hard, and promoted to a management position.

Maybe it was her job that caused the stress?

But the "CHILLING STATISTIC" is this (and has nothing to do with Samantha Pierce losing her twins during the second trimester of her pregnancy):

Quote:
What Samantha Pierce didn't know then was that her twins had become part of a chilling statistic. "Black babies in the United States die at just over two times the rate of white babies in the first year of their life," says Arthur James, an OB-GYN at Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University in Columbus. According to the most recent data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for every 1,000 live births, 4.8 white infants die in the first year of life. For black babies, that number is 11.7.
First year of life is now the same as giving birth to premies?

Quote:
"So, there was something about growing up black in the United States and then bearing a child that was associated with lower birth weight," says David.
Yeah...when these women were born to those who had to sit in the back of the bus & their birth weights were higher when racism & discrimination was out there for all to see?

And less than 3 ounces of a higher birth weight between white babies & black babies is the big issue that speaks to the stress of "growing up black in the US?".

Talk about trying waaaaay too hard to invoke "racism".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 08:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I know. I love getting my small fill of it...even if it's not at your level.

Just don't get me a watermelon or shoe laces for Christmas. That will be a step backwards.

I couldn't decide, so I got you both a Confederate flag and shoe nooses.

You're welcome.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I don't see how this woman is a poster child for much of anything just because she's black.

They couldn't breathe, they had no lungs, but she could see them breathing?

A twin pregnancy is labeled high-risk to begin with. Second trimester she lost them? What week of? Why leave that out? I'm going to guess before the typical 20 week sonogram, for singletons, if she stayed on top of the health care for the twin pregnancy? Even earlier. The sonogram would have found the "missing lungs".

And this was before she was kicking ass at her job, working really hard, and promoted to a management position.

Maybe it was her job that caused the stress?

But the "CHILLING STATISTIC" is this (and has nothing to do with Samantha Pierce losing her twins during the second trimester of her pregnancy):

First year of life is now the same as giving birth to premies?

Yeah...when these women were born to those who had to sit in the back of the bus & their birth weights were higher when racism & discrimination was out there for all to see?

And less than 3 ounces of a higher birth weight between white babies & black babies is the big issue that speaks to the stress of "growing up black in the US?".

Talk about trying waaaaay too hard to invoke "racism".
Don't logically walk thru the stats and take emotions out of it. That's racist.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:33 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Nothing to do with terrible, ignorant prenatal care I suppose?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I couldn't decide, so I got you both a Confederate flag and shoe nooses.

You're welcome.
Thanks.

I see Chicago's in the running for an inch or two of snow just in time for Christmas.

If you get that White Christmas there's going to be hell to pay...just letting you know.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
It must be exhausting to work so hard at creating eternal victims. It must also be difficult to be the people who are the subject of that never ending process. It's almost as if white liberals won't stop harassing Black people in their effort to forever define them.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:53 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It is sad that you think racism is a major cause of stress. You make things up and never back them with facts.

Gee I wonder what i$ the leading cau$e of $tre$$ in America?
Financial worries served as a significant source of stress for 64 percent of adults in 2014, ranking higher than three other major sources of stress: work (60 percent), family responsibilities (47 percent), and health concerns (46 percent).

Oddly enough the health disparities for black Americans and infant mortality rate disparitites that you mention but ignore the cause of, are tied into the same thing. Money.

Probably a racist article right?

Read.

Even when black mothers are middle class they still have higher mortality rates.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:56 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Nothing to do with terrible, ignorant prenatal care I suppose?
That would mean doctors are not providing adequate prenatal care.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:06 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That would mean doctors are not providing adequate prenatal care.
What

Old 12-23-2017, 09:31 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This is the problem with the right-wing war on education. You have an article which quotes multiple academics and research articles, but your instant reaction is to blame the author and news source for content you don't like, because your anti-college stance has left you without critical thinking skills when it comes to research and verifiable sources.
The studies tell us that women who believe racists are lurking behind every corner are more likely to have babies with low birth weight.
Quote:
In 2004, David and Collins published a study in the American Journal of Public Health in which they reported the connection between a mother's experience of racism and preterm birth. They asked women about their housing, income, health habits and discrimination. "It turned out that as a predictor of a very low birth weight outcome, these racial discrimination questions were more powerful than asking a woman whether or not she smoked cigarettes," David says.
Other studies have shown the same results.
And this seems plausible to me. Women with irrational mindsets will be more likely to suffer stress and make various bad decisions that could effect their pregnancies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies