Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 06:37 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Other eye-opening facts from the report:

In terms of access to water and sanitation the US ranks 36th in the world.

In the OECD the US ranks 35th out of 37 in terms of poverty and inequality.

According to the World Income Inequality Database, the US has the highest Gini rate (measuring inequality) of all Western Countries.

OHCHR | Statement on Visit to the USA, by Professor Philip Alston, United Nations Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 07:11 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Not true. "Made in Tiawan" was very common at that time on many products bought in the USA.
I wouldnt say very common. But yes, the times it didnt say “Made in the USA”, it said “Made in Taiwan”.

But nitpicking over this, misses the greater point of my post.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:20 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Prolonged and or untreated mental and/or physical illness without family support are the only two real excuses for poverty. And even there we have to look at specific circumstances.

Unless you choose to live just under the poverty line...which several people I know have done. Due to government regulation they have no financial incentive to make more money unless they make a significant amount more therefore they simply remain just below the cut.

What others do and taxes are rubbish excuses in this discussion.

If you are free from physical and mental illness all you have to do is upkeep your health, don't have kids, don't buy things, don't take out loans, and don't do drugs/other costly vices and you can waltz into a solid career/middle class lifestyle.
“Waltz into a solid career/middle class lifestyle “. Nonsense. College without loans?

Old 12-24-2017, 07:25 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If kids who would otherwise go hungry are getting food, is that not a good thing?
The point is you lied when you claimed illegal aliens do not get government services like free federal food program benefits, etc. They do get them. And Medicaid pays for the delivery and the medical care for new mothers and their anchor babies. Just two examples.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:27 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The point is you lied when you claimed illegal aliens do not get government services like free federal food program benefits, etc. They do get them. And Medicaid pays for the delivery and the medical care for new mothers and their anchor babies. Just two examples.
How do you exactly know they get them?

What meausures do you use to exactly confirm they get these services en masse, besides hearsay.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:28 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
“Waltz into a solid career/middle class lifestyle “. Nonsense. College without loans?
I agree. That was bs.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
We're the richest nation in the world--we can afford to feed some hungry children.
Actually, we're not. We're #7.

World's richest countries, per capita

Old 12-24-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
We feed them to the point most of them are overweight. talk about loved to death.
True. Food stamp recipients, including children, are highly disproportionately obese. They have a higher obesity rate than those not on food stamps, even the income-eligible who do not apply for benefits and provide for themselves.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
That is an absolute falsehood! They most certainly do get free breakfast, lunches, and in the school my son teaches at they get weekend backpacks with food!
Also, you must have never lived in Texas, because illegals get free everything there- and expect to from day one.
Not a falsehood at all, this is what I was responding to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
Speaking of handout 700K plus DACA children ?
Who paid for their housing, schooling, food, clothing, medical care? YOU DID.
Did you help your own elderly, displaced, mental illness, downtrodden, vets, job less, home less ? NO.
I already said that all kids can attend school regardless of citizenship and it only makes sense that the schools aren't going to send them off to another room while the 'citizens' eat lunch. I stand by what I said, and I don't think that in Texas undocumented people get "free everything"

Old 12-24-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
How do you exactly know they get them?

What meausures do you use to exactly confirm they get these services en masse, besides hearsay.
Schools aren't allowed to ask for citizenship status. Many areas of the country, Chicago, for example, have a lot of illegal aliens. I posted the map of the CPS free summer meals program. Any child up to age 18 can walk in and eat for free. And as for illegal aliens getting Medicaid benefits? Just ask any hospital admin. They'll confirm it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies