Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 03:13 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
And how do you determine whether a particular dog is a pitt bull or not? Do you go by appearance? Require DNA tests? How would you enforce this?

I'm not a pitbull apologist. They are very, very strong dogs and have certainly been bred for aggressive traits. Well-done studies have shown that they are responsible for the majority of dog bites and fatal dog attacks. Anyone who denies that is not facing the facts. That said, a dog that is genetically a pitt bull doesn't always look like one, and not all big, powerful looking dogs are pits. And luckily, given that the majority of the dogs in shelters and rescues in recent years *appear* to be at least part pitt, *most* pitt bulls will never attack. The flip side is that they are generally very affectionate, sweet dogs. I can understand why people become smitten with them despite their reputation.

Such a hard issue.
It is not a hard issue at all. Anyone who keeps a pitbull is increasing the chances of their family, friends, neighbors and pets being mauled or killed.
The identity/DNA claim falls on deaf ears because in most instances pits, mixes and their related breeds should all be banned from cities and the suburbs. Miami-Dade counties ordinance covers not only pits and mixes, but dogs with pit characteristics. This helps reduce those who might otherwise claim they do not have one by obfuscating the issue. It also allows insurance companies greater leverage in not paying a claim and shifting the blame where it belongs, on the owner.

Just like people who own exotic/dangerous pets must live outside of city/county limits, so to should pit owners be required to be out in the boonies. Also, as in this case, parents should be held criminally accountable if their children are mauled by the little angels.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is not a hard issue at all. Anyone who keeps a pitbull is increasing the chances of their family, friends, neighbors and pets being mauled or killed.
The identity/DNA claim falls on deaf ears because in most instances pits, mixes and their related breeds should all be banned from cities and the suburbs. Miami-Dade counties ordinance covers not only pits and mixes, but dogs with pit characteristics. This helps reduce those who might otherwise claim they do not have one by obfuscating the issue. It also allows insurance companies greater leverage in not paying a claim and shifting the blame where it belongs, on the owner.

Just like people who own exotic/dangerous pets must live outside of city/county limits, so to should pit owners be required to be out in the boonies. Also, as in this case, parents should be held criminally accountable if their children are mauled by the little angels.
My pit weighs less than 20 pounds and looks like a miniature scenthound. Dna tests show he’s 2/3rds pit bull. Do I get a pass or not? I would have never known if I hadn’t gotten the dna Test...

Old 01-09-2018, 05:08 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
My pit weighs less than 20 pounds and looks like a miniature scenthound. Dna tests show he’s 2/3rds pit bull. Do I get a pass or not? I would have never known if I hadn’t gotten the dna Test...
Lets see now, does a typical pit bull weigh in the neighborhood of plus or minus 50 lbs? And the typical pb has no trouble killing a 120 lb human. So I guess your 20 lb pitt could kill or main a 50 lb kid.
Nope, you don’t get a pass.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
They have a photos of the family now. The father is a BIG guy. If he couldn't remove that dog, just...WOW.

As far as bans go, I believe they usually grandfather existing dogs in. This helps stop the breeding too. It's a big problem. Just check Craigslist. The Pit Bull advocates hurt their own cause when saying over and over "It's all how they are raised". That just encourages people to get puppies that they later can't handle and those end up at the shelter, perpetuating the whole cycle.

What all pet owners need to remind themselves is that we have no "right" to own pets. Rabies is the only fatal disease they can carry that can be passed on to humans. If a vaccine wasn't found we wouldn't be allowed to have any. My vet and a friend whose daughter is in vet school told me that if there is any communicable disease that comes up that can be passed to humans and they can't find a cure for it the CDC can take our pets. Pretty scary thought. Though it just makes me question even more the excuses for ones that are known to turn vicious and cause fatalities now.

Remmy Goulart who was mauled by pit bull pictured | Daily Mail Online

Old 01-09-2018, 09:04 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Most anti-PBers wouldn't be able to identify a pit bull out of a line up. They call US ignorant... @@

Old 01-10-2018, 11:42 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Most anti-PBers wouldn't be able to identify a pit bull out of a line up. They call US ignorant... @@
Most folks that get mangled by a dog don’t really care if the dog is a blue blood pit bull.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
One characteristic of Pits that make them easily identifiable is their extremely large head and skull in relation to the rest of their body. Even Rotties don't have this. I can spot a Pit a mile away.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Lets see now, does a typical pit bull weigh in the neighborhood of plus or minus 50 lbs? And the typical pb has no trouble killing a 120 lb human. So I guess your 20 lb pitt could kill or main a 50 lb kid.
Nope, you don’t get a pass.
Less than 50lbs.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:26 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Less than 50lbs.
50 lbs. would be an average weight for a male Pit. And they can run up to about 65 lbs. So they're not lightweights.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
50 lbs. would be an average weight for a male Pit. And they can run up to about 65 lbs. So they're not lightweights.
Meh, the standard is between 30 and 60lbs for an adult male. No thats not a light weight but is far from the 125 lbs people try to get you to believe.
So my hound and shepherd are 75lbs. So they would have no trouble killing a 120lb person. My bosses boxers are 80-85lbs so they would have no trouble killing a 120lb person.
Do they get a pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies