Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,897,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Sounds like you just make up things as you go along. Typical income is at least 10 times what you assert. So how can we take what you say seriously? Your example of the poor getting the care they need in America because you got it just proves you are out of touch with reality and havent done your research at all.
Sorry, I meant 50/week. Not month. We would pay our tico mate on the boat 300/month and that was the going rate for Tico crew members. They gladly took those jobs because normal jobs were paying 200/month. One of the reasons the houses are so small with multiple generations living in them.

And yes, here in the US there are programs for the poor. Just have to do a little "work" finding them. Medicaid payed for everything for my cancer and that was for a 29 year old male. Was it easy to get? Not really! I had to have done my taxes the previous year. Many at that income level don't because they don't need to pay anything. I did anyway and it helped out considerably. There was also countless hours spent on the phone being transferred to different areas. Yes, it was a lot of work. Sorry but nothing is free. When it was all said and done, Medicaid covered my treatments, all follow uos and I got put on SSI until I got back on my feet. Everything was completely legal.

Last edited by marlinfshr; 12-29-2017 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 08:04 PM

51,716 posts, read 26,006,974 times
"Generally, especially compared to the worldwide statistics, American babies have good survival rates in their first few weeks of life. It is only after they reach one month of age that differences between the United States and other developed countries start to widen."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1013103132.htm

Old 12-29-2017, 08:05 PM

5,999 posts, read 3,750,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now What Sons View Post
My wife is from Costa Rica and I spend time there and their public healthcare is horrible. Anybody that can afford it gets private insurance to not wait forever for any little thing. People working for American companies can usually get partial private insurance and that's a big help.

I like the idea of single payer and I believe there are some countries that make it work, but in Costa Rica, public health only helps the extreme poor have something that's a little better than nothing.
I bet their private insurance is a helluva lot cheaper than what we have here in the States.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:06 PM

78,982 posts, read 61,148,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I lived in CR for 10 years, still own a home there and hold residency. I can speak to this subject. There is universal health care. The care is very good. The challenge is the waiting time. If you walk into the ER with a broken arm, 12-16 hours is a normal wait time. 24 hours is not uncommon. Wait times for surgery are normally in the years, not months or weeks. Their system waterlogged with illegal immigrants. By some estimates 1/3 of all the people in CR are illegals. Ask a Costa Rican what they think of Nicaraguans & you'll think Trump is a moderate . The net result is that no one you know would use the public system. Everyone middle class and above has private health insurance and goes to private hospitals. It's created a caste system of sorts. The exact same thing happened there with education. No one middle class or above attends public schools. They all pay for private schools. Again, it's created a caste system of the upper class and lower class. That divide continues to get bigger, not smaller.
Thankyou for sharing your experience. +1.

Great to get actual first hand accounts instead of made up stuff from people that can't find the country on a map.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 PM

78,982 posts, read 61,148,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I'll take you up on that! I don't have cancer or vascular problems, I just want to go someplace warm.
Find yourself some nice geekiguy and go together.

Im taking my geekigurl to FL in 4 weeks for a freestyle long weekend of whatever.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,001,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Sorry, I meant 50/week. Not month. We would pay our tico mate on the boat 300/month and that was the going rate for Tico crew members. They gladly took those jobs because normal jobs were paying 200/month. One of the reasons the houses are so small with multiple generations living in them.

And yes, here in the US there are programs for the poor. Just have to do a little "work" finding them. Medicaid payed for everything for my cancer and that was for a 29 year old male. Was it easy to get? Not really! I had to have done my taxes the previous year. Many at that income level don't because they don't need to pay anything. I did anyway and it helped out considerably. There was also countless hours spent on the phone being transferred to different areas. Yes, it was a lot of work. Sorry but nothing is free. When it was all said and done, Medicaid covered my treatments, all follow uos and I got put on SSI until I got back on my feet. Everything was completely legal.
Minimum salaries in 2016:

https://www.costarica.com/business/salary

Sorry, but how can we take you seriously?

When it comes to your assertion that all the poor get the health care they need in America because you got it; its absurd. In Alabama, if you earn more than $200 a month, even as a parent of small children, you get no Medicaid. If you dont have children, it doesnt matter, you dont get it no matter how little you earn.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:15 PM

14,221 posts, read 7,001,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Thankyou for sharing your experience. +1.

Great to get actual first hand accounts instead of made up stuff from people that can't find the country on a map.
How can you believe it when official statistics show that they have a higher public share of health care than Canada?

Old 12-29-2017, 08:59 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,770,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Seems like you are dead wrong. I looked up public health care spending as a share of total health care spending from the World Bank. In Costa Rica, its higher than in Canada. The overwhelming majority of Canadians use the public system and are happy with it. Are you a right winger or a Wall Street Democrat trying to push the agenda of privatized health care (price gouging on stereoids)?

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.PUBL
I'm someone who's actually lived there & knows what he's talking about.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:05 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,770,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We already have a three-tiered system.

1) Insurance provided by employers or paid for out of pocket

2) Medicare - Medicaid

3) No insurance at all

A two-tiered system would be an improvement.

However, I think universal health care would be a better option all the way around. Offer everyone Medicare. If folks want to pay for something better, they have that option.
You're describing what you imagine. I'm telling you the a two tiered society looks nothing like what you've described the US.

I always say I'm ok with universal health care as long as I can buy private insurance so my family own doesn't have to use it.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,301,404 times
Do you want free healthcare with our open borders and our 1 million legal immigration a year policy? LMAO!!!!!!!!

We will change our name to: La Republica De Los Estados Unidos De America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies