Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 07:17 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times

Advertisements

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...s-size-matters

Even though NYC spends $21,000 per student, more than half of schools are overcrowded as the city can hardly keep up the demand the schools.

Supposedly, the crisis is so bad that 8,000 students go to schools in portable trailers.

I guess when the city and state is reliant on international immigration from third-world countries that have very high birth rates it is never enough when it comes to spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 07:26 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Even though NYC spends $21,000 per student, more than half of schools are overcrowded as the city can hardly keep up the demand the schools.

Supposedly, the crisis is so bad that 8,000 students go to schools in portable trailers.

I guess when the city and state is reliant on international immigration from third-world countries that have very high birth rates it is never enough when it comes to spending.
It should be noted that the NYPS is one of the best big-city school systems in the country. Schools are crowded, because the city is crowded. When I was in HS, there were 1 million kids I’m the NYPS. My HS, was the smallest HS in the city, with about 4000 students. It has produced eight Nobel laureates. New Yorkers find a way to make things work. Worry about your town.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:53 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

There is nothing wrong with portables. My daughter was in a portable in 2nd grade. So what? Neighborhoods ebb and flow. If the school is over crowded then you solve the problem with portables. Then you get rid of them when they aren't needed.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Overcrowded schools are a subjective issue.

Portables are fine. It is the parents who may fuss about them but they provide a comfortable venue for learning.

My son attended a high school that was way overcrowded but he still had a great education. The halls were busy....lunch hours a little chaotic -- but the academic, artistic, etc. opportunities were more than adequate.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:03 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
So as a further point, what are the results? How do they rank nationwide? Cuz other states spend less...and rank lower.

I think the system overall needs an overhaul. The state of US education is pitiful.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It should be noted that the NYPS is one of the best big-city school systems in the country. Schools are crowded, because the city is crowded. When I was in HS, there were 1 million kids I’m the NYPS. My HS, was the smallest HS in the city, with about 4000 students. It has produced eight Nobel laureates. New Yorkers find a way to make things work. Worry about your town.
I'm assume that you went to Bronx Science (go Wolverines!), but that student body count is hardly the smallest in the NYC DOE (and its not the largest for that matter).

Old 12-29-2017, 09:28 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
So as a further point, what are the results? How do they rank nationwide? Cuz other states spend less...and rank lower.

I think the system overall needs an overhaul. The state of US education is pitiful.
In my state, it's not pitiful, but in many states it is. Teachers are not paid enough to become babysitters, counselors, teaching discipline...etc. It is up to parents to teach their kids respect and to behave, then maybe teachers can actually teach them if the parents did their job.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:51 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
In my state, it's not pitiful, but in many states it is. Teachers are not paid enough to become babysitters, counselors, teaching discipline...etc. It is up to parents to teach their kids respect and to behave, then maybe teachers can actually teach them if the parents did their job.

I can't speak to the condition in New York City schools; but I can speak to the fact that for 8 years I was a instructor at a technical educational school. I taught computer networking, and basic computer parts, or computer operating systems. During this time, I also still worked full time for the large Bank, that I have worked for now for 20 years.

So this was just part time money for me, and for part time the money was not bad, but even if I had been working full time teaching, it would have been less than 1/2 of what I was making at the bank.

How are you supposed to teach the next generation, weather that be young students, or adults starting over, if your full time pay starting out was less than $25,000 a year.

As a instructor, I technically worked under a Teacher. I believe the teacher has to have at least a Bachelors in teaching, or higher. As the instructor I only need a Associate Degree. But there is little true distinction between the two. Unless the teacher is in every class supervising, the instructor still has control over the class of what is being taught.

I loved teaching; showing students how a large network works; why it was so important in naming of the devices properly; in every networking text book that I have read would talk about a large network being in several cities (a WAN -Wide Area Network); and to name each router or server by the city name such as Dallas or New York. None of them addressed the fact that a large company would have dozen's of offices in a single city, let along in multiple cities across the country.

So Dallas-1 and Dallas-2 would just not cut it at all. But a convention like TXDALMSQ01 is a much better designation for a server, TX for the state; DAL for the city Dallas; MSQ for the type of server, in this case Microsoft Sequel Server, and the number 01 being the first one.

This type of naming convention not only address the state a device would reside in, but the city and it's basic job function. Which anyone who know most anything about networking as a whole will tell that being able to identify what a device is & where it is located at in a glance is huge in being able to identify who supports it.

When you have a single location, with just a few support staff for support, getting help with a device or system is easy. When your support is all over the world, you need to identify who to contact locally for support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies