Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:53 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You’re not a psychoanalyst.

Stick to the facts. The CSA had no black troops.
Do you always debate like a child? There were black troops on both sides. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I have no dog in this fight since I really don't care about this issue that much since its a non issue to me. I'm personally not threaten by the Confederate flag or their failed past history or worried about some dead White Southerner General Officer's statue since A) He's dead and B) He was defeated and lost the war... Btw, these are two known facts that can't be argued and I didn't need to finish college to come to this conclusion.

Anyway!! Being a desendent of an African slave, "I" believe that by the laws of averages, that there were Blacks, slaves or freemen, serving in the Army of the CSA... How many, I don't know, but with all the known information, there were Black soldiers in the CSA, which is a known fact.

If you enlisted or in some other way agree to work or show up freely or by force... and stayed, wearing a military uniform, while working in the support duties of a cook, blacksmith, construction or whatever, YOU are a soldier of that Army since YOU, by the laws of land warfare, are a combatant.

By saying that these men of color were not Soldiers since they were only cooks or laborers, YOU are basically saying that ALL the men and women that have served, past or present, in the U.S. Military in the positions of cooks and other similar positions WERE NOT "real" Soldiers, Sailors, Marines or Airmen. If so, you're dead wrong since they are, which is also another known fact.

Also, try telling an Army or Marine cook that he/she isn't a "real" Soldier or a Marine... Not only will you get your feelings hurt, but be prepared to be "scuffed up" a little bit afterwards.

On a side-note, there were many Jews serving in Hitler's army, navy and Air Force. Some known and other not... Yes, it would be easier for a German-Jewish person to blend in the Nazi army than an African-American blending the CSA's army. Weird stuff has always happens in war. IMHO, this isn't that odd... Weird? Yes. shockingly odd? No.

Was it official Nazi policy to allow Jews to serve in their armed forces? No. But, it's a fact that there were Jews serving in a Nazi uniform. So, "I" wouldn't be too shocked if misguided men of color served in the CSA's army.

Forget about all the political correctness and simply deal with the facts of an issue. The last thing "I" want to see is the Changing of OUR history soley on the grounds of policital correctness. I truly believe it's very important for US, as a people, needing to accept OUR history, both good and bad "AND" learn from it.

I'm not to sure why any Black or mixed race person, free or a slave, would serve in the CSA. If anything, I would have made my way north and joined the Union Army... After killing "my" master or escape to Mexico.
South Carolina, with all its resources, hasn’t found any.

Like you, I believe in the law of averages and Murphy’s Law...but that’s hardly a reason to build a monument.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:16 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I've seen a handful on confederate pension applications. I recall some musicians, but I'm sure there were cooks too. No fighting men that I can remember. I doubt anybody is interested, however if you are doing a family tree or something here's a link.

Confederate Pension Applications Series Description

Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 PM

I hear every day how African Americans are abused by the police yet there are thousands of black police officers. How can that be?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:28 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I have no dog in this fight since I really don't care about this issue that much since its a non issue to me. I'm personally not threaten by the Confederate flag or their failed past history or worried about some dead White Southern General Officer's statue since A) He's dead and B) He was defeated and lost the war... Btw, these are two known facts that can't be argued and I didn't need to finish college to come to this conclusion.

Anyway!! Being a desendent of an African slave, "I" believe that by the laws of averages, that there were Blacks, slaves or freemen, serving in the Army of the CSA... How many, I don't know, but with all the known information, there were Black soldiers in the CSA, which is a known fact.

If you enlisted or in some other way agree to work or show up freely or by force... and stayed, wearing a military uniform, while working in the support duties of a cook, blacksmith, construction or whatever, YOU are a soldier of that Army since YOU, by the laws of land warfare, are now a combatant.

By saying that these men of color were not Soldiers since they were only cooks or laborers, YOU are basically saying that ALL the men and women that have served, past or present, in the U.S. Military in the positions of cooks and other similar positions WERE NOT "real" Soldiers, Sailors, Marines or Airmen. If so, you're dead wrong since they are, which is also another known fact.

Also, try telling an Army or Marine cook that he/she isn't a "real" Soldier or a Marine... Not only will you get your feelings hurt, but be prepared to be "scuffed up" a little bit afterwards.

On a side-note, there were many Jews serving in Hitler's army, navy and Air Force. Some known and other not... Yes, it would be easier for a German-Jewish person to blend in the Nazi army than an African-American blending the CSA's army. Weird stuff has always happens in war. IMHO, this isn't that odd... Weird? Yes. shockingly odd? No.

Was it official Nazi policy to allow Jews to serve in their armed forces? No. But, it's a fact that there were Jews serving in a Nazi uniform. So, "I" wouldn't be too shocked if misguided men of color served in the CSA's army.

Forget about all the political correctness and simply deal with the facts of an issue. The last thing "I" want to see is the Changing of OUR history soley on the grounds of policital correctness. I truly believe it's very important for US, as a people, needing to accept OUR history, both good and bad "AND" learn from it.

I'm not to sure why any Black or mixed race person, free or a slave, would serve in the CSA's army or navy. If anything, I would like to think that if "I" was in that situation, I would have made my way north and joined the Union Army... After killing "my" master or escape to Mexico.

Since I was never a slave or ever known a slave, "I" can't pass judgement on any Black slave or free man that sided with the CSA since I don't know all the hardships and horror that he had experienced in his life of total bondage.
Are you aware that in the Civil War, cooks were hired by groups of officers, while enlisted men were issued rations, which they cooked? The officers furnished their own food, the cooking of that food, & uniforms. The laundress was paid for her services by the people who used her services. They were NOT soldiers. They came & went at will. The teamsters carried supplies in wagons. They were paid at a lower rate & generally not armed, unless they had a personal weapon & were not expected to fight in a battle. They were employed by the army & were absolutely not soldiers. At the battle of Stones River, when the wagons of the 24th Corps were attacked, all accounts were that the teamsters scattered like cockroaches. They were not expected to put themselves in harms way. You can't compare Civil War armies to the modern army.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I hear every day how African Americans are abused by the police yet there are thousands of black police officers. How can that be?
TOS rules are REALLY preventing me from airing you out.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:33 AM

37,219 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
Do you always debate like a child? There were black troops on both sides. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.
Link?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
TOS rules are REALLY preventing me from airing you out.
Explain how it’s not exactly the same thing and how ridiculous it is to believe there were no blacks who believed in the Confederate cause. You’re telling me there was 100% consensus that their way of life for hundreds of years had to change. Ever heard of the Stockholm Syndrome?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Link?
I don’t need to link jack squat. We are talking about human beings. When have you ever had 100% agree on anything? I have history on my side.

Saying there were no loyal, black Confederate soldiers is ridiculous.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Explain how it’s not exactly the same thing and how ridiculous it is to believe there were no blacks who believed in the Confederate cause. You’re telling me there was 100% consensus that their way of life for hundreds of years had to change. Ever heard of the Stockholm Syndrome?
Ever heard of begging the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies