Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
1,100 points down in two days. Thankfully, the market is closed tomorrow.

Trump strikes again...

Old 03-24-2018, 10:34 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Things change and Opinions should change also with new information.

The GOP has committed suicide by signing the funding bill. The Dems are sure to take power in the future IMO. Trump was the best until he wasn't. Its my opinion to never get stuck on anything and never be afraid to recognize change. Be decisive and take action to always preserve funds.

Based on this opinion and information investors know there will be more job killing regulations coming. More business killing policy's and agenda to pick an industry and regulate it out of existence.

From Keith Ellison a recent example :
He even suggested a form of “maximum wage”—taxing executives more if they made more than, say, 20 times more than the people who make the products and perform the services at their companies. “This idea that you can leave people in poverty as you are stacking up dead presidents like nobody’s business has got to come to an end,".

https://newrepublic.com/article/1474...mocratic-party

Business investment won't be attracted here with these kind of statements and policy's.

After it was announced that the funding bill was signed. I'm on the side line and will look at this as a new bear market. I'm going to be paying attention to all things related to business and consumer confidence for awhile.
Seems your focus is that of an investor, but when it comes to following Trump and/or the state of the union, obviously there is much more than just business and consumer confidence to consider. Some say this is part of our problem, that "the business of America is business." I certainly agree this is part of our problem. Too much in the way of business and large corporations pulling the strings all in the name of the almighty buck, and not enough influence from "we the people." On behalf of "we the people."

If business is to be the focus, one thing for sure is that business does NOT like uncertainty. Trump is the epitome of uncertainty. Good luck to all with all!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's Trump Chaos and "know nothing" that is messing with the markets. I know this is repetitive, but markets like stability and this admin is anything but.

Markets don't thrive on "reality tv" types of government.

Many trillions were just wiped out. What is gonna happen when Bolton starts wars and indictments come down from the FBI?

Hold on tight. The market likes to use these things to shake off the weak - which is most everyone. One guy I knew who had a seat on the stock exchange told me that he is 100% out of the market at the end of each day. So he generally makes money at all times. We suckers lose it because a lot of people have sell orders in for when things drop like a rock.

But, don't worry. Trump has the best ideas and best people and a stable mind. He'll fix it like he did Atlantic City. All we have to do is trade in our 20 dollar bills for 10's and it will all be OK.
Agree with pretty much your entire comment, but this about the guy who was "100% out of the market at the end of each day" could not have made "money at all times." The market in the space of a day is not really different from the market in the space of a month or year or years if somehow "timing the market" is the game. Or EVERYONE would be a day trader...

Day traders are more likely to be the suckers along with the rest you describe. Best I understand and believe anyway, only a good long-term strategy that does not include reaction to short-term ups and downs has the best odds of delivering positive returns. Having dabbled in all strategies, I've certainly found the latter to be best. Makes for better sleep too...

Last edited by LearnMe; 03-24-2018 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 10:43 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000
I think it's kind of funny.
It was wonderful when the Dow broke 25,000.
Better, when it went to 26,600.
But now that it is 23,500 it is a catastrophe; all hell has broken lose; a recession is imminent; Trump has caused a melt down; we are just seeing the beginning; yada-yada-yada.

Trump is good for the economy. Wages are rising, unemployment is down, taxes are down. And that counts a lot more than the market capitalization of General Motors.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
When you can explain where the Dems are going to get the money for all their free crap my narrow little reality will be expanded. I'll wait for the explanation. I know you are not all mouth. I'm ready when you are.
I posted my explanation. Where is yours ?
If I may...

To blame Dems like you do as if Repubs are innocent is like looking at a couple who goes on a lavish vacation where she shops and goes to the spa, he gambles and plays golf, but then blaming only her for the expense of the entire vacation!

Explanation is that our government is charged with brokering many competing interests; from education and fighting poverty to our infrastructure and military complex. All can easily be argued exceeds tax revenues as a whole, but instead of ALL SIDES curbing expenses, they all agree to borrow and spend instead. No one who knows what's going on in Congress can blame one side and not the other for all the money necessary to satisfy everyone (at least enough to keep them in office another term).

Understand this basic, and then we can figure out whether a dollar spent keeping a child from hunger is better or worse than a dollar spent on a bullet. Economically speaking anyway, they both work in different ways...

Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I didnt gloat about anything Obama did but go ahead and call them on that when you see it. Self defeatism is in fact a liberal trait, you are delusional if you deny. It.
I guess that makes me delusional then...

Or, are these ridiculous characterizations really mature, intelligent or necessary?

Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Trump strikes again...
Too bad the old "three strikes and you're out" rule doesn't apply to Trump or he'd have been out a good while ago!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think it's kind of funny.
It was wonderful when the Dow broke 25,000.
Better, when it went to 26,600.
But now that it is 23,500 it is a catastrophe; all hell has broken lose; a recession is imminent; Trump has caused a melt down; we are just seeing the beginning; yada-yada-yada.

Trump is good for the economy. Wages are rising, unemployment is down, taxes are down. And that counts a lot more than the market capitalization of General Motors.
Actually, the stats are not so good - and the market cap directly relates to the prospects of folks like me buying extra stuff like vacation houses or new cars...as well as giving money to our children to establish households, etc.

It's already proven that the 1.5 Trillion Trump Borrowed from our grandchildren isn't going to the workers - wages are NOT up to the level they should be. As any economist who studies the matter...they haven't kept pace.

A 10% decline is quite significant, easily knocking out all gains so far this year.

Unemployment - went down a full 5% + under Obama. Just because it is staying that way or going down 1/10th of a percent is no great shakes.

I sold a business which was very profitable and had a great reputation. We owned it for 20 years. It took almost 10 years for the new owners to ruin it. That is, they coasted along on our doings and reputation for years. The POTUS is similar to that.

But we haven't even started to feel the effects of a trade war, the tariffs, indictments and many of the other things which could be coming up the pike.

If you are any kind of a fiscal conservative you would agree that the borrowing of 1.5 Trillion you don't need and then some of the biggest PORK in history are not signs of Tea Party ideals.

"Wage growth in industries that employ the middle quintile of earners is a bit below where it was 10 years ago, and doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere fast. The trend over the last decade has been more or less sideways for this group, despite big swings in the economy. The largest employers here include manufacturers of various kinds of durable goods, companies that provide transportation and warehousing services, and new-car dealers."

Old 03-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That's the nature of business. Some win, some lose. If you are going to promote American manufacturing and campaign on creating American jobs, put your money where your mouth is or present yourself to the world as a consummate liar. Trump has proven he is a liar, and we have empirical evidence of it with every tie and shirt that arrives in an American store with a Chinese or Taaiwanese or Bangladeshi label in it.

BTW - ALL automobiles have foreign content. In the 1980s an automobile had to have greater than 50% of its components built domestically to be called an American auto. All of that has changed now. Outside the big steel parts, I would imagine that 90% of the smaller components come from overseas.
"The nature of the business" is much like the colors in a rainbow, many shades...

Of course there are always the winners and the losers that will come from domestic and foreign economic/trade policy, but whatever strategy deemed best all considered cannot be applied in sudden sledgehammer fashion. Business people need market stability and/or time to make the necessary adjustments to comply with the longer term intended economic results. This unilateral approach that Trump seems wanting to apply to everything according to his personal whims, is becoming more and more unpredictable and harmful for all concerned.

Much like the many ways to conduct business, win or lose, "there is more than one way to skin a cat."

“This is a money digging world of ours; and, as it is said, 'there are more ways than one to skin a cat,' so are there more ways than one of digging for money”.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
+669.40

with the VIX getting crushed today, its time to cash in on those credit spreads so that we can be there the next time MSM and their parrots try to spread hysteria and hyperbole again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies