Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 12:34 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You are asking the wrong question!

Trump can nuke China is he wants to. He can target American factories there.

The question you should be asking is whether any of this helps Americans....in reality.
Your an angry president Trump hater sitting on your couch, so you have but one goal. We know this... we know what it is, you're fooling no one when you say "helping Americans". That's BS. I read it as (my translation) ... if you don't hate president Trump as much as I do, y'all are deranged.

You see the world through a very myoptic lens. You don't just lean left... you lean wrong. Regarding China... the context for it is that in the perfect most optimal international trade situation, consumers in every country will make decisions in their own economic self-interest, buy the most value at the best price for all goods and services that they need. If there were no economic market manipulations, that will produce the most wealth and efficiency globally. China knows this is actively trying to subvert this truth. How you say? well...
The problem is that the Chinese do not play by the rules. It would take a few pages to get through all of the macroeconomic drivers to the issues at hand, but let me see if I can boil it down. If there was no currency manipulation, the exchange rate would settle at a price that equalized the real wages between the two countries, at a level that generally balanced out the trade surpluses and deficits. For illustrative purposes, let's say China sells us $700b worth of goods and we sell them $200b. That creates an excess demand for Chinese currency - we have to buy $500b more in their currency than they have to buy of ours, and that should make the Chinese currency appreciate against the dollar. That appreciation should make their goods more expensive for us to import - that item that cost 7 Yuan cost us $1 when the exchange rate was 7 to 1. if it goes down to 3.5 to 1, it costs us $2, and that will lead us at the margin to buy fewer goods from them. That balances out the trade deficit.

When they artificially devalue their currency like they have for decades, that prevents that equalizing mechanism to take place, and their wages in USD equivalent remains much lower than ours. If the exchange rate were allowed to fluctuate to the market forces, their wages in USD would tend to move closer to ours, because the rate at which you convert their wage rates to dollars would increase.There are other factors that influence the exchange rate, like relative interest rates between the two countries, but in terms of wages and the balance of trade, their manipulation is at the root of their surplus AND at the root of their lower wage rates. They are two measures of the same market distortion.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Your an angry president Trump hater sitting on your couch, so you have but one goal. We know this... we know what it is, you're fooling no one when you say "helping Americans". That's BS. I read it as (my translation) ... if you don't hate president Trump as much as I do, y'all are deranged.

Well, I certainly never knew you could read minds, life experience and all of that over the internet.

One thing for certain. I have vastly more knowledge of world and economic affairs then you think. I also spent decades watching Trump "do his thing" in Atlantic City (I lived there) and so perhaps know just a bit more then you about him and his frauds and cons. I even have friends who he took for money (suppliers)...one distributor he drove out of business. But I didn't lose any money so I have no personal vendetta.

He is most definitely a fraud and a con and not capable of leading anything. Those are facts...no matter how hard you try to make him into a real life version of his Reality TV Character, he will always be who he is - a con.

As to the USA and trade...what you are effectively saying is that the model of the last 400+ years (international trade) is wrong and there is a much better way that YOU alone know. You have to know how fantastic that sounds......

One need not be fully deranged to like a TV Celebrity or Self-Promoter. They can just be ignorant about particular things. No one knows everything.

I'm very much evidence based and that may upset you if you are not. It's not just coincidence that I predicted Trump would be a nightmare....by any and every metric. Surely you realize that his ratings are lower...for longer...than any other POTUS since they've been measuring?

But I understand that you've cast your lot and you are going to sink with the ship while declaring "nothing is wrong". It's like GWB and McCain when the Great Recession was upon us "The Economy is Fundamentally sound"....is what they told us.

If Trump sends nukes flying chances are you will approve. If he declares Martial law you'd probably parrot his reasoning for it. He has already cost business and investors TRILLIONS and you think it is part of a carefully crafted plan that he will suddenly "win".

Please don't take things personally. I am basically saying that you could not design an Airbus. That doesn't mean you are not a human being with all the plusses and minuses we all have. But it does mean that I'm not going to pimp that new airliner you claim to be designing.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM

And to my point... you hate president Trump.... I nailed it. Again .

You can not enter a rational discussion with a blatant hater. You will always return to some form of political crack to satisfy your insatiable hate for president Trump.

Politically speaking.... you're damaged goods.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:

You can not enter a rational discussion with a blatant hater. You will always return to some form of political crack to satisfy your insatiable hate for president Trump.

So show where you are not biased pro-Trump
Show any post where you have given a fair evaluation and criticized Trump...
If you criticize people for being Trump haters—isn’t a Trump lover just as bad only in the opposite direction?
There is nothing accurate with a critic who sees nothing to complain about—
That is just another version of booster or fan or syncophant...

No one takes a Trump lover’s praise of Trump seriously as a viable point of reference...

If you go to a surgeon for an opinion 99% of the time the surgeon will favor surgery—
To a hammer every problem is a nail...

Old 08-28-2019, 03:32 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:

I don't hate him. I have no respect for him, I think he is stupid, crass, a liar, etc. Of course you can have discussions with people who do not like as a politician. I never voted for Obama, but could have discussions on him and his policies. I didn't like Hillary, and had lots of discussions on her.

It is irrational to think that just because someone disagrees on a political issue that one cannot discuss it.

I'm certainly not in the minority when it comes to disagreeing with Trump's policies, I'm definitely in the majority.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-28-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So show where you are not biased pro-Trump
Show any post where you have given a fair evaluation and criticized Trump...
If you criticize people for being Trump haters—isn’t a Trump lover just as bad only in the opposite direction?
There is nothing accurate with a critic who sees nothing to complain about—
That is just another version of booster or fan or syncophant...

No one takes a Trump lover’s praise of Trump seriously as a viable point of reference...

If you go to a surgeon for an opinion 99% of the time the surgeon will favor surgery—
To a hammer every problem is a nail...
Don't love him at all, but I love what he's doing. I wish he behaved like Jesus but alas.... I'm an idealist. I also understand he's a womanizer, a shrewd businessman and often rubs people the wrong way, like a lot of his ilk.

My greatest criticism of him is his inability to walk softly and carry a big stick and my highest admiration for him is his ability to get things done. A body in motion tends to stay in motion.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:32 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,676,019 times
Dow is back above 26k.

Funny how the news hasn't mentioned that, too busy scaring everyone about a recession.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:38 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,198,315 times
It’s embarrassing to see far leftists in here sticking up for China more than the US, and of course it’s because of their irrational hatred of Trump. This article is great:

“It seems odd that the same candidates who do regularly attack “corporate greed,” lower wages, environmental pollution, Big Tech monopolies, and an ever-growing assortment of human rights violations and racism don’t seem to be very interested in prominently mentioning a nation that’s been credibly accused of aiding and participating in all of the above.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/bash...ite-house.html

Old 08-28-2019, 07:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,676,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
It’s embarrassing to see far leftists in here sticking up for China more than the US, and of course it’s because of their irrational hatred of Trump. This article is great:
Yeah, it's pretty simple--they hate America, just like Trump (rightly) said.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:57 PM

President Trump is the George Patton of politics. Loved by the troops hated by the elites. However when you need someone to take the battle to the enemy (China), he's our best move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies