Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,434,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I'll give you credit where credit is due.
You lead with the statement of "Utter nonsense" and went on to prove it with the rest of your comment

Good job !!! .
The utter nonsense is the volatility claim which is utter nonsense.

It is effectively a straight line for the last years.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:55 AM

34,299 posts, read 15,726,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The utter nonsense is the volatility claim which is utter nonsense.

It is effectively a straight line for the last years.
Prove it !!! Post it, so we can see what you are looking at.

I posted this link and that's not a straight line by any stretch of the imagination.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth

Old 10-29-2018, 08:08 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:

I posted this link and that's not a straight line by any stretch of the imagination.

Huh????

GDP Growth has nothing to do with the DOW.

These things will create great GDP Growth.

1. More debt and deficit
2. Higher health care prices
3. Higher energy prices
4. Higher housing prices
5. More Security State funding
6. Higher interest rates
and so on........

Yet they work against many of us - I would say MOST of us.

At least make some sense. Even you cannot claim the DOW...the index you pointed out in the OP, is doing "great". It's not. We may have a lost year. Why the heck would we have zero in a year when trillions more had been borrowed and given out for free?

Sorry, but higher interest rates and health care costs don't make me happy. A higher DOW would.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:13 AM

20,962 posts, read 9,662,163 times
Quote:

Um, if you click the tab that says 10 years, yes, it's more or less a straight line. With a lot of bumps up and down, of course.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
GDP is disproportionately driven by consumer spending, thats not exactly a POTUS driven activity in most scenarios. Although one could argue that Obama "forced" people to buy guns and ammo, as well as new cars due to the cash for clunkers program, but I'm sure that those two items combined are not really noticeable in the overall GDP. So hardly much to do with any POTUS, Trump or Obama.
With health care being 20% of our economy and the Fed. Government budget being 20% it's hard to imagine. Add in local, state and county government and education and you have a majority of the GDP.

Add in the very basics - some of which are partially consumer spending, but not really.....

Food
Energy
Interest Rates

And you're most of the way there.

This is why GDP is indicative of nothing in a indebted and fully advanced society like ours. Tariffs add to GDP....great! If I get sick I add to GDP.

And, yes, this is something that has been clear for many decades. RFL gave a famous speech about it. You can google it and find it on Youtube. It's quite striking because here we are 60 years later and it seems many just don't get it.

If I can buy rice for $2 a pound GDP may be low, but at $5 a pound it is higher. Is that a good thing?

GDP is a good indicators during the growing years - the industrialization of a country - if used to compare it to other countries. That's about it.

The current model, IMHO, is often negative. I'm sure GDP went up when people were buying houses at 3X the price they were worth, right?

Only if we tied GDP to real wage growth of the masses would it mean anything. For example, if wages rose 5% this year and inflation was 2% and GDP was 3.5% and debt and deficit (both personal, corporate and government) was the same...then we could say a small gain was eeked out. Maybe.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,812,328 times
Hey, the market hit 25 000.

Oh, it did in January too.......actually it hit 26 000 in January....

Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
With health care being 20% of our economy and the Fed. Government budget being 20% it's hard to imagine. Add in local, state and county government and education and you have a majority of the GDP.

Add in the very basics - some of which are partially consumer spending, but not really.....

Food
Energy
Interest Rates

This is why GDP is indicative of nothing in a indebted and fully advanced society like ours. Tariffs add to GDP....great! If I get sick I add to GDP.

And, yes, this is something that has been clear for many decades. RFL gave a famous speech about it. You can google it and find it on Youtube. It's quite striking because here we are 60 years later and it seems many just don't get it.

If I can buy rice for $2 a pound GDP may be low, but at $5 a pound it is higher. Is that a good thing?

GDP is a good indicators during the growing years - the industrialization of a country - if used to compare it to other countries. That's about it.

The current model, IMHO, is often negative. I'm sure GDP went up when people were buying houses at 3X the price they were worth, right?

Only if we tied GDP to real wage growth of the masses would it mean anything. For example, if wages rose 5% this year and inflation was 2% and GDP was 3.5% and debt and deficit (both personal, corporate and government) was the same...then we could say a small gain was eeked out. Maybe.
I've always been in the camp that higher GDP isn't always good, and that our government considering higher spending and lower savings as a measure of success is irresponsible, so I think we are in agreement here.

I mean the best way to protect the every day people from hard economic times is to ensure they aren't overspending, but instead are saving extra cash to get through hard times. However by pushing consumption with every lever they have, and simultaneously keeping interest rates low, its doubling down on the incentive for people to spend rather than save.

Last edited by t206; 10-29-2018 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Level instead of level

Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hey, the market hit 25 000.

Oh, it did in January too.......actually it hit 26 000 in January....
Plenty of ETFs out there to bet against the major indexes, volatility creates opportunity.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:22 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,471,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Food
Energy
Interest Rates

problem is trumpeters need something to cheer about, a "win" for their "team" so this is what they take. Most can't even explain it, but ape #Winning and cheer for their team like the used to do with the NFL before Daddy told them it was bad.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:27 AM

34,299 posts, read 15,726,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
problem is trumpeters need something to cheer about, a "win" for their "team" so this is what they take. Most can't even explain it, but ape #Winning and cheer for their team like the used to do with the NFL before Daddy told them it was bad.

The right choses cheer and the left choses fear.
Investors chose to make money. Buy low sell high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies