Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:01 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
I don't give a rat's ass about your political affiliations. What I DO care about are statements from someone who doesn't even live here making baseless assumptions about what life is really like in California and what Californians want.

Why do people from other states feel the need to bash California completely unprovoked? Are Californians showing up at your door and busting your windows and kicking your dog? No? Then what's the beef?

Homelessness and high housing costs are not problems exclusive to California and they certainly are not directly caused by vague "government decisions" as you assert. If they are, please provide specific legislation enacted by the California government that have directly led to people becoming homeless.
I happen to know what liberal politics and open borders do to a state: I live in Illinois. So I CAN say something about California. We also have massive pension debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 03:21 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I happen to know what liberal politics and open borders do to a state: I live in Illinois. So I CAN say something about California. We also have massive pension debt.

The horrible liberal politics that created jobs and allows Chicago to have the highest job peak in decades!

Downtown growth leads Chicago to highest job peak in decades

I take pension debt over no jobs, meth labs, and grim future.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:38 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Like a bunch of horny teenagers angrily dissing a beautiful 21-year old they know they'll never have a chance with. Meanwhile, she doesn't even know they exist.
Exactly. Although, I do agree (and am not sure how anyone could not) that income inequality is bad here and the homeless population is horrifying. I live in Oakland, CA and in the past few years, the homeless pop has expanded exponentially. It coincided with prices going sky high and many traditional housing for the poor being leveled for higher end uses, landlords using tactics to empty low paying rent controlled buildings, etc... The demand is just so high and the supply is abysmal. Luckily, thousands of units are being built right now and they are trying to get 17,000+ total units built in the next 10 years but it is simply not enough. San Francisco has upwards of 40,000 units being built and that is only stabilizing the market. It's just too successful here. I can't believe I can actually say something like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There’s an element of truth to that analogy, I think.

I’ll take your analogy further: any beautiful woman knows that men will put up with a LOT of her crap just so he can be with her.

I don’t want to put up with a lot of crap, so I married upstate NY.
Yes, these posters are like pimply, awkward teenage boys jonesing for the 19 year old model that simply doesn't know they exist. Anyway, I'm considering selling my 1 bed in Oakland and buying a WHOLE house with cash in Albany. I see it is like 5 degrees or below 0 there now compared to it being in the 60's here so that kind of thing makes me re-think the move. I'm torn. I like it where I am but I also want to help my family that lives in NY. Decisions...

Old 01-06-2018, 08:45 AM

19,653 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Exactly. Although, I do agree (and am not sure how anyone could not) that income inequality is bad here and the homeless population is horrifying. I live in Oakland, CA and in the past few years, the homeless pop has expanded exponentially. It coincided with prices going sky high and many traditional housing for the poor being leveled for higher end uses, landlords using tactics to empty low paying rent controlled buildings, etc... The demand is just so high and the supply is abysmal. Luckily, thousands of units are being built right now and they are trying to get 17,000+ total units built in the next 10 years but it is simply not enough. San Francisco has upwards of 40,000 units being built and that is only stabilizing the market. It's just too successful here. I can't believe I can actually say something like that!

Yes, these posters are like pimply, awkward teenage boys jonesing for the 19 year old model that simply doesn't know they exist. Anyway, I'm considering selling my 1 bed in Oakland and buying a WHOLE house with cash in Albany. I see it is like 5 degrees or below 0 there now compared to it being in the 60's here so that kind of thing makes me re-think the move. I'm torn. I like it where I am but I also want to help my family that lives in NY. Decisions...
Cold weather is cleansing. Winter freezes are a beautiful thing. Sit in front of the fireplace in a nice big house with a hot toddy and relax. Look outside and see snowy hills and icicles instead of homeless people defecating on the street from a 400 sq foot apartment. So they are building more to squeeze more people in. Wonder when they will run out of water.

The model isn't so perfect under the makeup and fashion. A lot about California is illusion. I decided against moving there years ago and don't like to visit anymore.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
Sadly, some of the greatest wealth inequality to go along with it. Look on the streets of cities like San Jose, San Francisco or Los Angeles, the homeless population is at least twice as much than many European cities.

Over there, it would be embarassing to boost about .........how big your economy is ..........when there are untold amounts of homeless people on the streets.
Consider the fact that the mild climate and State Policies offen attract those living on the street.

Local SF reported did an in depth report a while back... many SF Homeless are not native to SF... the social programs as in meals, health care and not having to deal with snow/ice are all factors...

People dying of winter exposure is very real and much of the country... a rarity in the cities you mentioned.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Cold weather is cleansing. Winter freezes are a beautiful thing. Sit in front of the fireplace in a nice big house with a hot toddy and relax. Look outside and see snowy hills and icicles instead of homeless people defecating on the street from a 400 sq foot apartment. So they are building more to squeeze more people in. Wonder when they will run out of water.

The model isn't so perfect under the makeup and fashion. A lot about California is illusion. I decided against moving there years ago and don't like to visit anymore.
I can appreciate snow and cold. I can just drive up to the mountains for that. Don't have to live in it. But, there is some nostalgia for my time in the northeast. FYI, homeless people are not EVERYWHERE. LOL You have a twisted view of how it is out here. Yes, there are warts underneath the makeup. Nowhere is perfect.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:16 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Real estate is solely supply vs. demand.

Do the math.

Austin costs more than that now, no?
It surely does, but it is no where near california still. By a long shot.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:28 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Cons knock me for the high cost of living in my area ..didn't they just get done sticking it to me further on their federal tax bill for the benefit of red states? Yes, they did.

For those of you bitching about California, here is a simple solution: don't live here and get over it. I don't make daily threads about what a backwards, poverty-stricken opioid mess the Appalachian region or the Carolina Backcountry is. Nor do I wish for the deaths of red state citizens like cons do whenever it comes to the prospect of a natural disaster hitting this region. Grow the **** up.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:52 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Cons knock me for the high cost of living in my area ..didn't they just get done sticking it to me further on their federal tax bill for the benefit of red states? Yes, they did.

For those of you bitching about California, here is a simple solution: don't live here and get over it. I don't make daily threads about what a backwards, poverty-stricken opioid mess the Appalachian region or the Carolina Backcountry is. Nor do I wish for the deaths of red state citizens like cons do whenever it comes to the prospect of a natural disaster hitting this region. Grow the **** up.
Well maybe this will make meth rampant blue states like California re-think their bloated big government out of control spending that results in high taxation and regulation? Why should the rest of the country be taxed because blue states are broke and need to tax their citizens so high that they need to deduct 30-40-50k more in taxes off their federal return. Theres a reason why your taxes are so high ???? Right?

Nobody should wish death on anyone based off their political affiliation. Lets no ignore the facts though. Ive witnessed liberal hollywood celebrities claim that hurricanes that hit southern states were in response to them voting for Trump. Then said thats what they deserved.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Well maybe this will make meth rampant blue states like California re-think their bloated big government out of control spending that results in high taxation and regulation? Why should the rest of the country be taxed because blue states are broke and need to tax their citizens so high that they need to deduct 30-40-50k more in taxes off their federal return. Theres a reason why your taxes are so high ???? Right?

Nobody should wish death on anyone based off their political affiliation. Lets no ignore the facts though. Ive witnessed liberal hollywood celebrities claim that hurricanes that hit southern states were in response to them voting for Trump. Then said thats what they deserved.
??? What are you trying to say here? Contradictions and confusion abound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies