Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Fixing our healthcare system:

Step 1 - no pharmaceutical company can sell any drug for more money in the US than they sell it for in any other country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
I'll stay in the U.S. With all our problems.

I was in western Europe and learned how miserly treatment was doled out to citizens (6 visits post CVA for many, no prosthetic limbs unless you convinced a board that you needed one for your job). Long waits for conditions deemed elective to everyone but the person suffering. I am not interested.

I do tire of people who want yet another MRI or CT in terminal cases, as if those are curative. And thankfully the "Pain is the 5th Vital Sign" nonsense is going away (though too late for those hooked on narcotics because hospital reviews hung on pain-free patients).

There is so much we in the U.S. could do to reduce costs, but how many would tolerate a 6 person room of mixed genders for themselves or grandma, like an RN friend did in Dublin, Ire? We are so very spoiled.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i am not a fan of socialized medicine to be sure, but this is a normal routine when epidemics break out. you cancel, or more likely postpone, non essential procedures to free up doctors to handle the health crisis.

sorry not buying the doom and gloom you are putting out OP.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:03 PM

304 posts, read 295,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yet here is evidence it doesnt work.
How is this evidence? Do you get that it's a very serious epidemic, the likes of which hasn't been seen in over three decades?

Non-essential surgeries are postponed in regions and hospitals all the time. Do you think surgeries were continuing as usual at the area hospitals when a murderer opened fire on a crowd in Las Vegas several months ago? No. Non-essential surgeries would have been postponed while the hospitals first dealt with the crisis.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I'll stay in the U.S. With all our problems.

I was in western Europe and learned how miserly treatment was doled out to citizens (6 visits post CVA for many, no prosthetic limbs unless you convinced a board that you needed one for your job). Long waits for conditions deemed elective to everyone but the person suffering. I am not interested.

I do tire of people who want yet another MRI or CT in terminal cases, as if those are curative. And thankfully the "Pain is the 5th Vital Sign" nonsense is going away (though too late for those hooked on narcotics because hospital reviews hung on pain-free patients).

There is so much we in the U.S. could do to reduce costs, but how many would tolerate a 6 person room of mixed genders for themselves or grandma, like an RN friend did in Dublin, Ire? We are so very spoiled.
The citizens who can’t pay should be in dormitory style rooms.

Illegals should be deported after they are stabilized.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:06 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
When in America has our medical community ever simultaneously canceled thousands upon thousands of surgeries due to the flu striking and the country facing a shortage of physicians? I've never heard of such a thing. Now I see people immediately rising to defend the NHS, rather than questioning how a healthy and robust system could allow such a thing to happen.

Elective surgery requires a lot of advance planning for most people. Their home lives and jobs are affected by their convalescence. Many people need to train someone to cover their job during their absence. Having your surgery date pulled out from under you because the medical system can't handle what is a predictable yearly event is extremely inconvenient for people - not to mention the extended suffering that many of them must endure until they can be treated. It's the sign of a system bursting at the seams and failing it's people. I'm not sure why people would rush to defend such a huge clusterf*** and not instead demand some answers from the NHS.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Reps on the way for purposely missing the point
I think you might have missed the point in your haste to use the flu to push a political agenda.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 PM

304 posts, read 295,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
When in America has our medical community ever canceled thousands of surgeries due to the flu striking? I've never heard of such a thing. Now I see people immediately rising to defend the NHS, rather than questioning how a healthy and robust system could allow such a thing to happen.

Elective surgery requires a lot of advance planning for most people. Their home lives and jobs are affected by their convalescence. Many people need to train someone to cover their job during their absence. Having your surgery date pulled out from under you because the medical system can't handle what is a predictable yearly event is extremely inconvenient for people - not to mention the extended suffering that many of them must endure until they can be treated. It's the sign of a system bursting at the seams and failing it's people. I'm not sure why people would rush to defend such a huge clusterf*** and not instead demand some answers from the NHS.
Did you not read the article? It's clearly not a typical flu season. It's a serious epidemic that hasn't been seen in 30 years. This is a once in 30 years event. It's all very bad.

I don't immediately recall if or when we've had such a large epidemic that required more resources than normal. Often in the US these things stay localized and confined to regions, cities or states. Has to do with things like geography and transportation and such rather than the healthcare system. But in a crisis, non essentials are routinely canceled. It happens all the time.

Again. This is a serious epidemic. Not just a standard flu season.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:15 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
San Diego hospitals are setting up flu triage tents. 45 died so far.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
San Diego hospitals are setting up flu triage tents. 45 died so far.
According to the OP they should be performing nose, and boob jobs as opposed to responding to an epidemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies