Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapilot View Post
Feel free to add any others, no nation in the world treat immigration and invasion like Americans do, outside of a few wimpy European countries . If libs want to show how much more liberal other nations are in terms of the numbers of immigrants they take in, please feel free to point them out

John Derbyshire: The Endless DACAthalon

"Thursday this last week, the President met with some Republican senators for opening discussions on immigration legislation. I don’t have a full list of the senators he met with, but it included Senators John Cornyn of Texas (NumbersUSA Grade in this Congress: C-minus), Lindsey Graham of South Carolina (F-minus), James Lankford of Oklahoma (D), and Charles Grassley of Iowa (C-plus).

That’s a median grade of D-minus.

Next week the President is meeting with a bipartisan group of Senators to have further discussions on a DACA-plus-immigration-reforms bill. Since every single Democratic Senator is an F-minus, the median represented at next week’s talks should be down in the F’s. Let’s be optimistic and say F-plus.

These are the people deciding the future demographics of the U.S.A., the nation our children and grandchildren will live in. This is the key issue, themajor issue for our country at this time—the issue that won Trump the Presidency. Polls show major public support for the President’s stated positions.
The decision-makers, though, are the Cs and Ds and F-minuses in the U.S. Senate, bought and paid for by the Cheap Labor lobbies and Ethnic-Grievance groups."

Israel

"The President of that country, Benjamin Netanyahu, refers to illegal aliens as “infiltrators.” Which beats “undocumented immigrant”! Israel’s illegals mostly come from East Africa, Eritrea and Somalia. Five years ago, the numbers had reached 60,000, bringing with them the usual elevated levels of crime.
That’s when Israel put up a big beautiful wall across the Sinai Desert, cutting infiltration from Africa to zero. The Israelis followed up with campaigns of expulsion.

Illegals who refused this deal would be put in prison."

Quote from him: "The infiltrators have a simple choice—to cooperate with us and leave voluntarily, along a respectable, humanitarian and legal path—or we will have to use the other tools available to us, also according to the law. I hope they will choose to cooperate with us. Every country must maintain its borders, and protecting the borders from illegal infiltration is both a right and a basic duty of a sovereign state.[Netanyahu said looking for ways to forcibly deport illegal migrants, Times Of Israel, January 3, 2018]

Japan

Japan is actually loosening up on immigration; but that’s relative. They’ve set up a strict points-based system, like Canada’s, for highly-skilled foreigners to get permanent residence. They are not such fools as to link it to a system of chain migration, though, with brothers and sisters, nephews and nieces, uncles and aunts pouring in.

And their performance on refugees is stellar. In 2016 they got 10,901asylum applications. They accepted 28, a rate of 0.26 percent.

The LIBS never think of USA immigrating to Mexico.........illegal down there won't get you a thing except perhaps shot..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We already allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to provide them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. Why would we change that sane policy to increase immigrants that we don't need?
Of that million/year about 600k have already been in the US before, so only their status changes.

Many of them have their own companies and thus provide other Americans with jobs.

The whole notion that legal immigrants only take from and don't give to society is wrong.

There are various studies that show that at the end of the day legal immigration benefits the recipient country more than it hurts.
Legal immigration often already includes cherry picking.
The Silicon Valley would simply collapse without Chinese, Indian and other legal immigrants.

Last edited by Neuling; 01-11-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 01:39 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of that million/year about 600k have already been in the US before, so only their status changes.

Many of them have their own companies and thus provide other Americans with jobs.

The whole notion that legal immigrants only take from and don't give to society is wrong.

There are various studies that show that at the end of the day legal immigration benefits the recipient country more than it hurts.
Legal immigration often already includes cherry picking.
The Silicon Valley would simply collapse without Chinese, Indian and other legal immigrants.

Where have I ever said that most legal immigrants are only taking from society? The fact remains though that many American IT workers have replaced American ones only because the employers pay them less. That part of legal immigration is wrong. I never said that legal immigration is wrong in general. At this point, I do believe that our numbers for legal immigration shouldn't be increased. My beef is with illegal immigration and they are taking jobs from both legal immigrants and our own citizens. Get rid of them first and then we can talk about more legal immigration.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I don't leave it out for them to eat. I just leave it out because it is my apartment and there shouldn't be uninvited visitors eating my stuff.

In other words, the fault lies with American employers who hire illegals in order to make more money.

Humans often like to blame the wrong people. Similar to the drug problem. In my view there is no point in blaming Colombian planters, when it is American addicts creating the demand.

The fault mostly lays at our government's feet because they didn't enforce our immigration laws as they should have. But there is a three part blame here which includes the employers and the illegals themselves also. All three are equally guilty of thumbing their noses at our immigration laws. The ant feeding analogy doesn't fly because there is no law against feeding ants.

As for drugs the user is just as guilty as the supplier. They are both breaking the law. Why can't you grasp that simple concept?

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-11-2018 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but I know the UK allowed unlimited immigration for a long time. They allowed anyone from their former colonies and now they are overwhelmed with Pakistanis who came for free, had a load of kids, brought the relatives in from Pakistan. Many of the cities and towns in the north of England are now run by Pakistanis; they are the majority and their lifestyle does not fit in with the usual British lifestyle. Ordinary English people feel out of place and are leaving the country. There's a lot of trouble and resentment.

I think the mass immigration in the UK was finally stopped in 2004. Too late. It's ok to let some people in but there's got to be a limit or the citizens who have lived there for generations and who have built the country, feel pushed and shoved out of their own country.

You need limits. The British also didn't need the EU forcing them to take MORE immigrants--hence BREXIT. No longer will immigrants be forced upon them. You need to respect the rights of the people who built the country and already live there. I'm a liberal and that's what I think.

I couldn't agree more. A liberal with a brain? I'm in awe of you. You're a rare breed.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where have I ever said that most legal immigrants are only taking from society? The fact remains though that many American IT workers have replaced American ones only because the employers pay them less. That part of legal immigration is wrong. I never said that legal immigration is wrong in general. At this point, I do believe that our numbers for legal immigration shouldn't be increased. My beef is with illegal immigration and they are taking jobs from both legal immigrants and our own citizens. Get rid of them first and then we can talk about more legal immigration.
I don't think income is the reason. Asians are smart and ambitious, and numerous
And why "replaced"? The Silicon Valley has grown a lot and hence added jobs. I think those companies simply had to increasingly rely on immigrants because there were not enough qualified Americans anymore.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
That's definitely untrue.

We've had a few innovators from that group, after hundreds of thousands have immigrated, but by and far they are simply the modern day Africans being imported to work for less than natives would work for.

There are more than enough natives, of all races, who are (more) qualified to do their jobs and have graduated from US Universities with US degrees.

Silicon Valley's mining camp / company town approach, with a shiny modern veneer, to foreign tech labor is inhuman. If they are going to import such labor, and justify it, they should be able to meet normal labor rates that are adjusted well up for the high cost of living in the Bay Area. Otherwise, they're a modern plantation in nature (not equating the conditions, just the essential motivation and mode). That should be outrageous to most, but it isn't because of the entirely hypocritical position that more brown people is better even if they are paid less, there are domestic workers to fill the jobs, and they aren't as qualified.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I don't think income is the reason. Asians are smart and ambitious, and numerous
And why "replaced"? The Silicon Valley has grown a lot and hence added jobs. I think those companies simply had to increasingly rely on immigrants because there were not enough qualified Americans anymore.

Another Kool-Aid drinker about Silicon Valley. Research the facts on your own instead of repeating liberal nonsense. American IT workers have been replaced by foreigners as they are paid less.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The LIBS never think of USA immigrating to Mexico.........illegal down there won't get you a thing except perhaps shot..............
Not true. There are definitely Americans living illegally in Mexico, mainly retired folks living the good life. I've met some. Mexico loves their money and they're not worried about getting deported, much less shot, lol.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:49 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The Japanese are known, throughout Asia for their deep and abounding racism. They consider themselves something of a master race. Israel is an apartheid state. It’s no wonder the right-wingers admire those two nations so much.
Actually IMHO both countries are looking out for their best interests and their citizens. Both are successful democracies.

Perhaps instead of pointing fingers we could learn from their example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies