Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

I hope this private religious school does not get any form of tax paid funding!

Quote:
The issue of racism in education was at the center of a minor social media storm on January 9, touched off after a parent posted a photo of her son’s homework assignment.

Neither the school nor the teacher were available for comment. On the topic of slavery, the assignment given to 4th graders at Our Redeemer Lutheran School in Wauwatosa asked students to “Give 3 ‘good’ reasons for slaver and 3 bad reason… for presenting an argument.”
Wauwatosa 4th graders asked to give three good reasons for slavery | The Milwaukee Independent

Old 01-11-2018, 05:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Wauwatosa 4th graders asked to give three good reasons for slavery | The Milwaukee Independent
Nothing racist about it, since slavery is not inextricably linked to racism. People in power enslave the weak, regardless of skin color.

I'm willing to bet those kids can do a better job spelling than the moron who wrote the article in the link:

“Give 3 ‘good’ reasons for slaver [sic] and 3 bad reason [sic]…

Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Well every public school curriculum contains something offensive to some group or another.
makes a good case for complete privatization of education.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
It's a debate question. Debate: Slavery: Good or Bad?

Or are kids not allowed to debate anymore?

There is nothing inherently wrong with the question. It's a critical thinking question that will ultimately lead kids to realize FOR THEMSELVES what slavery truly is.

It could have been worded differently: Why were some people for slavery? Why were some people against slavery?

I know people will freak out about that answer.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:56 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with the assignment. Assuming they were studying the Civil War, I'm guessing to ask 4th graders to present the pros and cons cited by each side at the time it existed isn't something they would understand so the teacher used words like good and bad. The headline writer didn't help matters, either, by making it seem like the assignment was what's good about slavery but then again, that's what they all do these days to get website hits so they can charge more for advertising. They all do it.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Nothing racist about it, since slavery is not inextricably linked to racism. People in power enslave the weak, regardless of skin color.

I'm willing to bet those kids can do a better job spelling than the moron who wrote the article in the link:

“Give 3 ‘good’ reasons for slaver [sic] and 3 bad reason [sic]…
Really, eh? ...but look at the photograph of the completed assignment. It was just way beyond the capacity of that student, and his mother.

Quote:
“Does anyone else find my 4th grader’s homework offensive?” asked Trameka Brown-Berry in her Facebook post.
Not offensive, but embarrassing and a little depressing.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's a debate question. Debate: Slavery: Good or Bad?

Or are kids not allowed to debate anymore?
And "good" is put in quotation marks on the assignment to indicate that the writer herself doesn't assume that there are good reasons for slavery. But this flew right over the heads of the complaining family and probably the "journalists" at the Milwaukee Independent who wrote the article.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:58 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
When I was in the sixth grade, we split the class up into "northerners" and "southerners" and had a similar debate on slavery and topics such as the merits of an agrarian economy versus the industrial economy of the north at that time. It's an exercise in critical thinking, debate, and understanding history.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:25 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
That's funny... I know someone who went to that school.

As far as the question goes, I don't know if slavery was the best choice of topic... but I really like what they were attempting to do. If you want to be a good, honest debater, you need to be able to argue your own position, but also the position of your greatest opponents. It's a good thing to learn.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:30 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Is it possible that the teacher was in a hurry and just worded it poorly?

If the teacher wrote: "give three reasons how slavery supporters attempted to justify the evil the institution" - would there be any controversy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies