Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Surely they could have come up with a better essay topic! What happens if they say something like Mama has a boyfriend, or Daddy carries a gun or Brother sells drugs? Will they have to tell the law?

I have always told my kids that somethings stay in the family and we don't discuss them with outsiders, like family illnesses, financial concerns, travel plans,tragedies, etc.

I would be really ticked if my kids were encouraged to write about secrets.

NJ test asks 3rd graders to reveal a secret *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
That's crazy! I can't imagine what those test-graders will be reading.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
Maybe a few will write about being abused (thinking their secret is safe). Hopefully this opens doors for some little ones who need help.

That's about the only good I can see coming from this unusual assignment.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
WHAT??? Third graders are being assessed on writing on standardized test? NC doesn't do that at all in 3-5, not sure when they start. No wonder my kids writing skills are so poor.

But, then again..... at least they could write an informantional piece that is much better than that article... the whole article didn't add anything that wasn't said in the title.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
WHAT??? Third graders are being assessed on writing on standardized test? NC doesn't do that at all in 3-5, not sure when they start. No wonder my kids writing skills are so poor.

In IN 3rd-8th is given standardized tests... 3rd grade gets reading, writing and math assessed...and if they don't pass the reading portion of their test they automatically have to do summer school...if they don't pass summer school then they are automatically held back a grade

Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
I teach 4th grade in Texas. On the writing portion of our state test, students have to write a personal narrative composition as well as an expository composition (this is done over two days - as well as answering editing and revising questions in multiple choice format). On the narrative, students know they can make something up if they cannot come up with a true experience or if they do not want to share a true experience... as long as what they make up does not sound made up (we have been told the narratives have to be realistic, so no "fantasy" comps allowed). Knowing my students and what they tend to write throughout the year (you would not believe the number of compositions we are required to have them write during the school year), they would not use the state test as a platform to share deep, dark family secrets. I don't like the prompt, but then again, I don't like many of the prompts I have seen on these tests.

I do not know how it works in all states, but our state tests are sent off and scored by a testing company. There is no identification information on the composition itself as read by the test scorer. I work for a national scoring company each spring scoring compositions from other states. If we read a composition that has anything that needs to be reported (a student reveals abuse, for example), we do send it for immediate review.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,447 times
I don't think it's as big a deal as some are making it out to be. I think the state probably figured that it was a prompt that might interest the students and that might result in more being written and possibly better scores. In retrospect they probably didn't fully consider the negative ramifications, or simply felt they weren't significant enough to outweigh the positive.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
People are so crazy these days. The secrets they probably wrote about were "billy likes jamie". What is it with these forums and oversensationalism.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:20 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
People are so crazy these days. The secrets they probably wrote about were "billy likes jamie". What is it with these forums and oversensationalism.
I think the same.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
I am still laughing at the question because I can just imagine what some third graders could do with this question. My son has one friend that ended up being a college professor of writing and the head of his department. His teacher years ago was calling me to get our address so she could send my son a thank you note for the end of the year present he gave her. She revealed to me that she was concerned about one of her students that she considered to be troubled. I knew what she was talking about because on the last day of school this now college professor came home with my son to spend the afternoon.

I found these two in a huddle having so much fun and of course as a mother I had to get to the bottom of what was soooo funny. My son's friend did not like this teacher and he did not like to have to do an essay so he made it well worth her time to read it. I think his essay ended up with the teacher getting hanged. Can't you just imagine what kind of secret he could dream up?

I have mixed feelings about this assignment. I don't think children should be asked to go against their conscience and tell a secret. I don't like what that is teaching; but if these teachers think they are going to learn any secrets, they may get more than they bargain for. Third graders can have some really wild imagined stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education