Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 08:39 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The nation did not vote for him. He was elected by an archaic and useless indirect election. Most people voted for Hillary. Get rid of the electoral college!!!
Wrong.

More people voted for Hillary, but not most.

Hillary got a plurality of the votes cast, not a majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm only going to respond to this part of your post because I agree with some of what you said before this.

Trump didn't the deal he wants his way or no way that's not the way it works it's not supposed to anyhow.
Your last little rant here sounds like something that the left would whine about calling them weak-minded yet you have your head so far up Trumps arse that you can't see that your the same as the left.

Exactly the same AND your both what's wrong with this country! BOTH parties continue to fight over table scraps that the president and congress throw down on the floor, and act like it's the best thing you ever ate. The ability to stop fighting and act like adults is long gone and those of us who feel as I do continue to watch you all flush this country down the toilet. Maybe you weren't breast fed as a child I don't know
but it's time to grow up and see that this president or any other doesn't give a damn about you or anyone else.

That's reality!
No, there is a reality that virtually all on the left ignore or are deliberately blind to, while many on the right fail to articulate properly.

The issue of DACA isn’t being addressed honestly. It’s another leftist distortion of epic proportions.

FACT 1) DACA stands for DEFERRED ACTION ... meaning a postponed or delayed final resolution. It doesn’t mean continue the status quo indefinitely, or worse .... do as the Dems would have it, and provide blanket amnesty to all, without qualifications.

FACT 2) President Trump did not “end” DACA, nor place those being protected by it in jeopardy. Trump simply reversed OBAMAS illegitimate executive order, and issued marching orders to congress to finally come up with legislation to address the issue legally and permanently, as it has ALWAYS been their duty to do.

FACT 3) The difficulty in Congress ability to address the matter stems from the democrat’s refusal to address it in a reasonable way, but instead, demand an all or nothing outcome to which is unacceptable.

FACT 4) The deadline for legislative action on DACA is March 2018, not January. Therefore, the insistence by the democrats to link DACA to the budget bill at this point, forcing a govt shutdown is pure BLACK MAIL, holding a NATION OF AMERICAN CITIZENS hostage, placing the interests of non-citizen illegals ahead of the interests of the rest of us.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wrong.

More people voted for Hillary, but not most.

Hillary got a plurality of the votes cast, not a majority.

I’m not even sure that is accurate, given the fact that we do not know the entire extent of voter fraud, raging from individuals voting multiple times across different jurisdictions (instances of this have been discovered), to MILLIONS of illegals casting their ILLEGITIMATE votes.

There was no such sign of this Clinton popularity at her many allies she had to pay people to attend!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
A big old wall between us and one of our important neighbors and trading partners to the south is NOT the sort of answer to our problem(s) we should be arguing about, but we do because it's a lot easier to visualize and understand than all that really prevents so many Americans from really getting anywhere while the most wealthy make off with more and more of the goods.
A country that has been sending millions of illegal immigrants and drug traffickers into the United States for decades is not an "important neighbor" by my definition.

We are certainly getting the short end of the stick because of their actions. This needs to stop completely.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Our nation is great in spite of lousy Presidents by and large. See Rate the Presidents from beginning to current (restarted from History).

Here's my ranking (revised from when I originally posted it):

Over the country's history surprisingly few of the Presidents have been great or even good. Here's my ranking. Yours?

1. George Washington (1789-1797) - Great

2. John Adams (1797-1801) - Medium but better in most roles than his term as President.

3. Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) - Medium but better in most roles than his term as President.
4. James Madison (1809-1817) - Medium but better in most roles than his term as President.
5. James Monroe (1817-1825) Good

6. John Quincy Adams (1825-1829) - Poor to Medium but better in most roles than his term as President.
7. Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) Good but his policies ended in the Panic of 1837. Also one of two times that a two term or more Democratic president was succeeded by a Democrat.

8. Martin Van Buren (1837-1841) - Mediocre; term was stained by Panic of 1837
9. William Henry Harrison (1841) - Too short a time in office to know

10. John Tyler (1841-1845) Poor, and near-traitor. Voted for secession while serving on Virginia convention in 1861.

11. James K. Polk (1845-1849) Good.

12. Zachary Taylor (1849-1850) - Too short a time in office to know
13. Millard Fillmore (1850-1853) - Poor; mishandled sectional crises leading up to Civil War

14. Franklin Pierce (1853-1857) - Poor; Drunk, and mishandled sectional crises leading up to Civil War
15. James Buchanan (1857-1861) Poor; mishandled sectional crises leading up to Civil War
16. Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865) Great

17. Andrew Johnson (1865-1869) Mediocre; Radical Republicans didn't give him a chance.

18. Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877) Poor to Medium but better in most roles than his term as President.
19. Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-1881) Good but ending reconstruction without ensuring equity and justice for freed slaves was a stain.

20. James A. Garfield (1881) - Too short a time in office to know
21. Chester Arthur (1881-1885) - Mediocre. Passed Civil Service but otherwise didn't do much

22. Grover Cleveland (1885-1889) Mediocre

23. Benjamin Harrison (1889-1893) Mediocre
24. Grover Cleveland (1893-1897) Mediocre
25. William McKinley (1897-1901) Mediocre
26. Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909) Great

27. William Howard Taft (1909-1913) Mediocre
28. Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921) Poor. Racist turned idealist who gave away America's nascent leadership position in world.

29. Warren G. Harding (1921-1923) Mediocre syphilitic

30. Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929) Mediocre
31. Herbert Hoover (1929-1933) Mediocre
32. Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945) Poor. One of the worst. Lots of Jewish blood on his hands. Basically a grandstander. With Buchanan, Pierce, Nixon and Carter.

33. Harry S. Truman (1945-1953) Good to great.

34. Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953-1961) Mediocre
35. John F. Kennedy (1961-1963) Mediocre. Image better than reality

36. Lyndon B. Johnson (1963-1969) Mediocre and divisive.

37. Richard Nixon (1969-1974) Poor. One of the worst. Congenital liar and hypocrite.

38. Gerald Ford (1974-1977) Good and underrated

39. Jimmy Carter (1977-1981) Poor to terrible

40. Ronald Reagan (1981-1989) Great

41. George Bush (1989-1993) Mediocre
42. Bill Clinton (1993-2001) Good

43. George W. Bush (2001-2009) Mediocre
44. Barack Obama (2009-2017) Poor to terrible
45. Donald Trump (2017- ) Good but bombastic.
I would say your rankings are pretty accurate.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:05 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I’m don’t care for Trump’s brash New York personality, but I fully support his politics. I would be ashamed to have Hillary as president.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
This is a really good video and it offers great advice on how to start healing our divided country. I know by the title your probably thinking, "uh-oh" but watch, it's a very good message.
I'm not big on watching videos. Hardly enough time to read through these comments and maybe make a comment about them as it is, but I get the message. Thanks. Would be nice if more of the anti-gay crowd would lighten up a bit. That's for sure. Also would be nice if people lightened up a bit all around, about what the true source of our differences really are.

Hint: there is more misunderstanding about what the other side thinks and why than there is understanding, and too few people who care to better understand one way or another, better behave too.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
No, there is a reality that virtually all on the left ignore or are deliberately blind to, while many on the right fail to articulate properly.

The issue of DACA isn’t being addressed honestly. It’s another leftist distortion of epic proportions.

FACT 1) DACA stands for DEFERRED ACTION ... meaning a postponed or delayed final resolution. It doesn’t mean continue the status quo indefinitely, or worse .... do as the Dems would have it, and provide blanket amnesty to all, without qualifications.

FACT 2) President Trump did not “end” DACA, nor place those being protected by it in jeopardy. Trump simply reversed OBAMAS illegitimate executive order, and issued marching orders to congress to finally come up with legislation to address the issue legally and permanently, as it has ALWAYS been their duty to do.

FACT 3) The difficulty in Congress ability to address the matter stems from the democrat’s refusal to address it in a reasonable way, but instead, demand an all or nothing outcome to which is unacceptable.

FACT 4) The deadline for legislative action on DACA is March 2018, not January. Therefore, the insistence by the democrats to link DACA to the budget bill at this point, forcing a govt shutdown is pure BLACK MAIL, holding a NATION OF AMERICAN CITIZENS hostage, placing the interests of non-citizen illegals ahead of the interests of the rest of us.
If maybe you started with rhetoric not so very much like Trump's, words always so exaggerated to the extreme, like "virtually all" and "deliberately blind," it might be easier to consider what else you have to say, but why bother when no doubt you have EVERYTHING figured out better than ANYONE ANYWHERE?

Starting with your "FACT 1)" I guess you think it's informative and entirely relevant to explain what DACA stands for. Okay, you know something, but what you don't seem to understand too well is that what DACA represents to the people fighting about it has little to do with what you seem to be arguing.

Also BTW "blanket amnesty to all, without qualifications" is another Trumpism AKA falsehood (among too many already).

One significant qualification, for starters, is that amnesty be allowed for CHILDREN who were immigrated to the United States as a result of actions NONE OF THEIR OWN.

Where is that rather simple essential fact among yours?

Recognizing the important facts and considerations and properly addressing them as a country essentially renders the rest of your "facts" mute, but no..., we've got people who still think those covered by DACA are some sort of threat to Americans.

Be a afraid. Be very afraid, and vote for Trump!

Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Indeed, there is no greater threat to the future freedom, security, and prosperity of the American people than the "American" left - no enemy more formidable. But they only got that way because, for a generation, we stood on the sidelines and allowed them to.

It's great to have an American patriot as President and the first real leader that most alive today have ever seen in the office. I'm overjoyed that we are no longer in free-fall, but it is still far from clear whether we as a nation even understand the gift we were given by our founders, let alone have sufficient will to fight to preserve it.
Oh the drama and oh what liberties we take writing these dramas as we will...

"We stood on the sidelines and allowed them to?"

Who is we and who is them?

One clue is "for a generation" that suggests we're maybe going back to the 40's or 50's. That right? That from where this rather one-sided perspective comes from?

40s -- World War II. Let me guess. It was only great American patriots like Trump that fought and died in that war and the wars that followed, like Trump did.

50s -- Korean War, advisors sent to Vietnam. CIA assists in overthrowing the government of Iran and installs the Shah to take power. McCarthy starts his witch hunt eventually condemned by Congress. Segregation in public schools declared unconstitutional (despite the hard fight by Americans also calling themselves patriots). Rosa Parks refuses to give up her seat on the bus. Who is "we" and who is "them" at this point?

60s -- decade started in similar fashion, four black students protest not being served at a lunch counter, leading to much that would later become the Civil Rights movement (while who was standing on the sidelines doing what?). 50 stars are now on the American flag. Kennedy beats Nixon. Supreme Court rules 8 to 1 Bible verses in public schools is unconstitutional. Civil Rights March to the White House, MLK's "I have a dream speech," not much appreciated by the status quo, "we" unhappy about "them." JFK murdered. The Beatles also causing the status quo more fear, now a fear of rock and roll too. Civil Rights legislation passed. Watts riots. Deep as ever fighting in Vietnam. Medicare begins. First Super Bowl. Blacks riots getting out of hand. MLK murdered. Bobby Kennedy murdered. Americans put first man on the Moon (with public funds BTW). Internet born.

70s -- 4 Kent State students shot and killed by the National Guard (or was that those leftists yet again?). Ban on TV advertising of cigarettes. Supreme Court backs legality of publishing the Pentagon Papers (not exactly leftist papers BTW). Vietnam War escalating. Watergate -- another question of who is "we," who is "them" and who actually did what? Roe v Wade ruling in favor of woman's right to choose. Arab Oil Embargo. Nixon resigns. Carter elected. Camp David Peace agreement between Egypt and Israel (thanks to Carter). Students held hostage in Iran over America's involvement and support of the Shah.

80s -- effort to free students in Iran fails. Reagan elected. Highest unemployment rate since 1940 is recorded. Reagan signs legislation to rescue Social Security. Challenger Space Shuttle explodes (no doubt those leftists to blame yet again). Iran-Contra affair (here we go again). Economy improving better than last four years. Travel allowed between East and West Berlin.

90s -- Berlin Wall comes down. Germany united. Operation Desert Storm -- American international support very high. Clinton elected. Brady and Assault Weapon Laws are passed. Lewinsky goes down, I mean brings Clinton's pants down, I mean...

Right. Who's even still reading and why am I still wasting my time?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I’m not even sure that is accurate, given the fact that we do not know the entire extent of voter fraud, raging from individuals voting multiple times across different jurisdictions (instances of this have been discovered), to MILLIONS of illegals casting their ILLEGITIMATE votes.

There was no such sign of this Clinton popularity at her many allies she had to pay people to attend!
Right. Also not accurate, but at what point do we stop the waste of time arguing about how Trump won and by how much?

For Trump and his supporters, it was something like the greatest landslide ever!

For the others, not so much.

Either way. Trump is now POTUS, and we need to pay attention to what he should and/or should not get credit for, whether that's our present good fortune (or bad) caused by forces before Trump came along, also what Trump is doing (or not) that he truly does deserve credit or criticism for. That's more what I think Americans need to focus upon now if we're going to give progress a chance and/or not repeat our mistakes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies