Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 AM

18,474 posts, read 7,130,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I'm fine with them as long as I'm not forced to subsidize them through taxes. If those technologies prevail through the free market, I see no reason to stop them.
This.

/thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,556,841 times
All of the above.

I am not aware of anyone who is opposed to the use of renewable energy, lies by the Democrat left and their media supporters to the contrary notwithstanding.

That being said, the only renewable source of energy that can be produced reliably and in sufficient quantities to replace fossil fuels is nuclear, which the environmental left does not appear to support because of the environmental dangers that it poses.

So we will be dominated by fossil fuels for electricity production and transportation purposes, likely for the rest of all of our lives. But someday our technology will improve to the point where this will no longer be the case. It just will not happen as quickly as some people are currently been mislead into thinking that it will.

Also, renewable energy needs to be able to financially stand on its own, without government subsidies. Again, someday that will happen. Just not anytime soon.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:05 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,610,207 times
All for it.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,392,184 times
Wind energy is a waste, unpredictable and thousands of giant windmills are ugly and ruin the landscape, and the greenies say they kill birds, so that's another strike. Solar has promise, but again is unreliable year round in most places and only generates max power a couple hours a day.

Hydroelectric via tidal generators seems the most promising. Tides are as reliable as the sun rising and liberals raising taxes. Tidal turbines are like windmills that you can always count on generating a reliable amount of power. Studies will need to be done to see how much impact (there is never none) they will have on marine life.

Renewable energy can work for homes, but electricity is still a poor solution for vehicles due to the current state of batteries. As the tech advances and they charge faster and hold more power it will become a more viable solution. For now batteries can't compete with the energy stored in a gallon of gas.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 AM

18,567 posts, read 7,422,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
As the title states...conservatives, what's your opinion on solar and wind energy?
Solar and wind energy aren't "renewable". You need to come up with a different term.

That aside, why would you think "conservatives" or anyone would be "against" them? I've never heard of such a thing. Strange question.

If there is a positive EROEI and acceptably low environmental impact, then I'm all for it. We know that there are aesthetic issues with the big wind turbines, some of which were pointed out above.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,190,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Stop subsidizing coal and oil and see what we get.

Let the markets and demand push innovation.
The primary tax break for coal is on pollution controls and for oil it is non productive wells. If those tax breaks were removed and the cost was passed onto the consumer the average person might see an increase of 20 cents on their electric bill, the motorist will pay a fraction of a penny more per gallon.

The tax breaks given to the fossil fuel industry are a drop in the bucket relative to the value of the market and the tax revenues they generate. Just for some perspective here the tax breaks given to the entire oil/gas industry is roughly equivalent to Exxon's revenue for a few days.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,810,197 times
I'm against all gas wells except the one that heats my house.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM

5,730 posts, read 2,205,844 times
I love renewables, solar is going to be huge and on windy days wind can power over half of our grid. The problem with wind is it blows at night when it's not needed. We need battery technology to store the power.

I plan to install solar when I build my house within 10 years. While Trump touts coal he also kept the electric car tax credit in the tax bill so that's a positive.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,698,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
As the title states...conservatives, what's your opinion on solar and wind energy? Are you ok with it? are you against is? Is it hippie hog-wash? Are you against the tax incentives? Are nuclear energy, coal and oil working so why fix it if it's not broke?

Some conservatives seem to be for renewables while others are against. What's your opinion on renewables and why?
I’d love to have the solar panel roof Elon Musk envisions. He claims it will cost the same as a standard roof.

Every time I’ve worked through the cost of current solar, it’s too expensive.

I don’t want to buy the current expensive technology when I’m hopeful there will be a breakthrough on a cheaper and more efficient system.

I will want to remain hooked to a power grid even with a solar system.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:50 AM

34,303 posts, read 18,687,771 times
We aren't going to run out of fossil fuels for centuries considering all the oil, and natural gas we have just domestically. Therefore, the only reason for "alternative" fuels is an environmental one. The premise of this is that CO2 is "bad". There is no conclusive evidence that is true. However, as others have noted, let the markets, and not government move us to other energy sources. Higher taxes, fees and surcharges on fossil fuels, and their use only hurts the economy, and makes everything more expensive for those that can least afford it.

So yes, let's keep developing other sources of energy while maximizing our extraction, and use of fossil fuels simultaneously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies