Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Driving a car into the busiest parts of Manhattan could cost as much as $11.52, under a major proposal for Gov. Mario Cuomo that would make NYC the first city in the US with a pay-to-drive plan. Due to the explosive growth in NYC, its public transportation system are in bad shape and gridlock traffic has become a big problem. The idea is the revenues generated would improve the public transportation and road systems and decrease congestion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/n...T.nav=top-news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 06:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Driving a car into the busiest parts of Manhattan could cost as much as $11.52, under a major proposal for Gov. Mario Cuomo that would make NYC the first city in the US with a pay-to-drive plan. Due to the explosive growth in NYC, its public transportation system are in bad shape and gridlock traffic has become a big problem. The idea is the revenues generated would improve the public transportation and road systems and decrease congestion.

If you can afford to park in NYC you can afford that $11.52

Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
It's certainly not an exorbitant amount when you look at what a lot of bridge and tunnel crossing fares. I take public transportation into the city for work but if you have a large enough group going into the city it can be more cost effective to drive. It's up to about $20 pp to take the railroad round trip off peak, and that includes kids older than 11 or so.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Solution: leave Manhattan.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Modern day highwaymen:

noun, plural highwaymen.
(formerly) a holdup man, especially one on horseback, who robbed travelers along a public road.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:05 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

So, the public transportation is in bad shape? Why haven't they been collecting enough and investing in infrastructure over the years? Were they siphoning off those monies for other things and now just want to put one more use tax on the people to pay for something they should have already been maintaining?

Lastly, I'm amused that they're going to improve the road systems to reduce congestion? That's pretty hard to do in a completely built up and confined space like that unless you address root causes of too many vehicles by getting more busses, carpooling etc.

I am neither for nor against it however, that's up to the local voters and leadership to figure out.

I've just seen taxes pour into some cities I've lived in and it gets swallowed up by corruption, pet projects, ghost jobs for relatives, pork payoffs.....and then when basic infrastructure is failing whoops we need MORE taxes.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:28 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,680 times
Quote:

They've talked about this for years, and I hope it finally goes through. There's just too much traffic in the city, and as terrible as the MTA is (another topic), they need the money to make necessary improvements.

The article neglects to mention the main benefit for single white men who live in the city. In general it's easy to pick up a bridge and tunnel girl, but if they have to take public transport in and out of the city, they're far more likely to just find a guy to sleep with then try to head home late night.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:29 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
So, all kinds of outrage over being forced to pay to go into a national park...but none for being forced to pay just to go into one of our cities?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:

Another plan to raise money because we spend so much on these welfare programs for people who aren't even residents. This state robs Peter to pay Paul and has since his dad was gov.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
That rate isn't all that bad. For example, right here in SW Florida, I pay $2 a day to cross one bridge, and, if you go to Sanibel, it costs $6. I have heard that (I think) San Francisco has some tolls that get into the $20 range.

I've driven in NYC many times, and it is a madhouse. I felt like I was taking my life in my own hands. Maybe this fee will help that, but maybe not. New Yorkers are used to paying big money for everything, from a sandwich to living space. $11 bucks may not be an issue at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies