Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:39 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times

Advertisements

The real story: solar and wind have gotten so cheap (without subsidies) that use of coal and even natural gas are in decline. Nearly all of the new energy plants in the US in 2017 are fueled by green energy.

This 30% tariff on solar panels is a backdoor subsidy for the fossil fuel industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Tariffs are like taxes in that the individual has less purchasing power. There's a reason I hate them.

That said, I repeat my earlier statement in another thread that it will be fun seeing the crying among the sanctimonious enviro-nazi class. Still hate the tariff, think it's bad business and will never think otherwise...but the spoonful of sugar helping that medicine go down is the tears of the "renewablez 4 lyfe!!" goofs who preach all their anti-fossil fuel thing, while supporting Chinese dumping on the global market as a good thing.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:50 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
... I repeat my earlier statement in another thread that it will be fun seeing the crying among the sanctimonious enviro-nazi class. Still hate the tariff, think it's bad business and will never think otherwise...but the spoonful of sugar helping that medicine go down is the tears of the "renewablez 4 lyfe!!" goofs who preach all their anti-fossil fuel thing, while supporting Chinese dumping on the global market as a good thing.
You're about 10 years behind the times. Solar is winning in the free market with or without the help of environmental advocates. The real hypocrisy are "free market" Republicans who are quick to slap a tariff on products because the free market isn't going the way they want it to.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You're about 10 years behind the times. Solar is winning in the free market with or without the help of environmental advocates. The real hypocrisy are "free market" Republicans who are quick to slap a tariff on products because the free market isn't going the way they want it to.
By free market you necessarily mean "super cheap production in Southeast Asia" yes, PV is getting better. And I am FINE AND DANDY with that. If Southeast Asia makes PV panels cheaper and better than anyone else, then let them. My schadenfreude comments are aimed at the people who squawk incessantly about American jobs, America's poor, etc and then cheer about how cheap PV tech is becoming based on manufacture in the 3rd World.

No matter what, I will always hate tariffs. All barriers to voluntary trade are bad. But there's nothing wrong with finding some small guilty pleasure in the suffering of those who annoy the buhjeezus out of me.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What's the problem. Dems love taxes. The more the better. Why aren't they supporting this ?

People want President Trump to cooperate and compromise with Dems and when he does they complain.
But wouldn't YOU have a problem with this new tax? I mean Reps hate taxes, they just want to spend money and let our grandchildren pay for it. So are you suddenly in favor of taxes now that Trump is imposing them?

The reality is this is just another wealth-distribution hand-out to big oil. It takes money from one group, and gives it to another. It's more likely a punishment for anyone who doesn't hate the environment.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
What's the problem. Dems love taxes. The more the better. Why aren't they supporting this ?
Maybe because it's a bad idea.

Quote:
People want President Trump to cooperate and compromise with Dems and when he does they complain.
This is in no way, shape or form a "Compromise with Democrats."

Old 01-23-2018, 09:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
it will be fun seeing the crying among the sanctimonious enviro-nazi class.
Uh, right, more like "the people who have some grasp of science"

Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The real story: solar and wind have gotten so cheap (without subsidies) that use of coal and even natural gas are in decline. Nearly all of the new energy plants in the US in 2017 are fueled by green energy.

This 30% tariff on solar panels is a backdoor subsidy for the fossil fuel industry.
Would you please provide a source for your claims, especially on the cost factor of so-called "green" energy vs. traditional, coal and gas? I'd be really curious to see how this is arrived at. Plentiful coal and gas it would seem would preclude the cost of solar panels, and windmills, which require large tracts of land, are unsightly, and cannot provide sufficient energy (they only produce when there is wind, or when the sun is shining, and much of that energy is used to keep storage batteries charged). I question your claims.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Uh, right, more like "the people who have some grasp of science"
Whatever.

I have a fine grasp of science, and I do not question the use of PV tech. At no point did I argue against solar energy even tangentially. An I said I disagree with any and all tariffs on general principle.

But I can be honest about schadenfreude.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,671 times
It's like the cigarette or the sugary drinks tax...you don't have to buy them...then don't buy solar panels made in China.

Fed and salt you have no choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies