Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should non-essential government workers be paid after a shutdown?
Yes 115 64.25%
No 64 35.75%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:54 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW_Dreamer View Post
Since I've been a federal employee, I've been on both sides of the (furlough) fence being either ESSENTIAL or NONESSENTIAL. Right now, I'm considered ESSENTIAL even though all my counterparts are currently furloughed. Just to be fair, I think the ESSENTIAL personnel who work thru the shutdown should be granted some form of admin leave compensation if the furloughed staffers are indeed backpayed.
I would be okay with that. Non-essential people did not choose not to work though, so they shouldn't be penalized in any way. However, essential workers are working extra (presumably picking up the work of those furloughed), so some minor compensation would be understandable.

Although, essential workers have the benefit of being able to go to work during shutdowns, and are almost guaranteed of back pay, while non-essential aren't. For non-essential workers, one of the most painful things about the shutdown is probably the fact that you all aren't allowed to work and they have to go through the mental stress of checking news/social media to see what's happening. I can't imagine the mental toll that must take on someone. At least if you are working, you can avoid that distraction. I am almost positive that no "essential" employees would want to trade places with a non-essential" employee, even if they don't get any extra compensation/leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 01:07 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
The only ones who shouldn't be paid are the ones responsible for the shutdown. Congress and the president.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Non-essential government workers should all be fired.
That non-essential title, sells the idea, itself.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
He hasn't, except for going to visit the troops, I think that's a worthy exception.
Well only because Congress didn't stay either. Then again it isn't law and for no pay, that would need amending the Constitution.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:33 PM

185 posts, read 134,254 times
There does not seem to be any real sense of urgency to end this shutdown yet some people want those who are affected by it to not get paid. The people responsible for the shutdown will get paid and so should the furloughed employees. My agency is funded this time around so I am not affected, but I still know people who are. This is not a "vacation" for them.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
This is not a "vacation" for them.
Absolutely not. I have three family members who are affected by it. One is working with no pay (yes, I know they will get back pay) and two more are sitting at home anxiously waiting for word they can go back to work.

It's not a big deal for people who aren't affected, but for those 800,000 and their immediate family, it's a very big deal.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 PM

30 posts, read 35,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Absolutely not. I have three family members who are affected by it. One is working with no pay (yes, I know they will get back pay) and two more are sitting at home anxiously waiting for word they can go back to work.

It's not a big deal for people who aren't affected, but for those 800,000 and their immediate family, it's a very big deal.
Riiiggghhhtt...anxiously sitting at home watching TV or fishing perhaps. It's funny that most of my furloughed coworkers are posting FB pix out in the country or skiing while they're "anxiously awaiting" for word to go back to work.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:21 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Riiiggghhhtt...anxiously sitting at home watching TV or fishing perhaps. It's funny that most of my furloughed coworkers are posting FB pix out in the country or skiing while they're "anxiously awaiting" for word to go back to work.

A lot of them were already on holiday leave using their vacation (it is the week between Christmas and New Year's afterall). Their vacation days are forfeited and they are in a non-pay status right now. So what if they had already booked their vacation. You people are so bitter.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Hah, I would hope you don't do that when your place is locked out due to a labor dispute in your cushy private sector job that isn't effected by a government shutdown. The reality is unless a vacation was already paid for, it would be stupid to pay for one on credit when you don't know when your next paycheck will come and if it will include pay that the "non-essential" (really non-exempt) employees should have got. The only guarantee most times is for the workers who were deemed essential and were excepted to work during the shutdown but for no pay.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That non-essential title, sells the idea, itself.

Be careful, you are accepting the government's definition of what is and what isn't essential. The people who collect your taxes at the IRS are essential. The people who help you make sense of the forms and answer questions or the ones who process refund checks, are non-essential.

I think the whole "essential" vs "non-essential" designation is confusing some people. They need a better designation. It's not that the non-essential once aren't needed (which the name implies) it's that they won't be missed temporarily/things won't come grinding to a halt... right away.

Another way to look at it is to look at your own workplace. I am sure there are people there, if they were out, you could cover for or someone could cover for for a short period of time. But if that person left, you've company would need to hire someone to replace. I used to work in a machines shop. The receptionist at a machine shop isn't "essential" to getting parts made for clients and shipping out orders. Ours was once out sick for two weeks with the flu one year. We didn't need her to function. But eventually, someone had to answer the phones and take new orders, answer questions, etc. You can't have the machinists doing it because they need to do their own work (besides, you can't hear the phone ring anyway). The boss brought in his wife to cover for a bit. The receptionist also was the one who ordered materials for the shop too. We had a stockpile we worked with in that time, but we couldn't last forever without her. She was the one with the contacts and had the relationships with the sales people to get us the best deals.

Those furloughed are like that receptionist. You don't need them right now while the government limps along, but long term, you need someone to do those jobs because they won't do themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies